Review Round 10 GWS vs Carlton, Saturday 1st June 1:45 @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannoy believe hampton is still geting a game, he must have some serious dirt on someone on the selection committee.....because they obviously havent seen him play.....SERIOUSLY can somebody tell me why because at the moment I am reallynthinking that our team selections are a joke....setanta had beter be injured and Thornton may have well not been picked up with the amount of game time he has received. AND what does WHE need to do to get a run.

I cannoy believe hampton is still geting a game, he must have some serious dirt on someone on the selection committee.....because they obviously havent seen him play.....SERIOUSLY can somebody tell me why because at the moment I am reallynthinking that our team selections are a joke....setanta had beter be injured and Thornton may have well not been picked up with the amount of game time he has received. AND what does WHE need to do to get a run.
Setanta named at full forward in the twos (and Jaksch back at CHF!), don't think Thornton was named.

This is Inside Footy's take on WHE in the NEAFL this year:
4 NEAFL Floated in and out of the game. Just fair.
5 Didn’t play for UWS Giants.
6 NEAFL Bye.
7 NEAFL Gave some run but was a bit inconsistent.
8 NEAFL Good early but then played in fits and spurts.
9 NEAFL Kicked a goal but drifted in and out again.

I haven't seen him play myself but he doesn't seem to be knocking down the door.

Thanks for that.
It seems that WHE has been doing nothing wrong, but has not been outstanding......which I must say is better form than a lot of his mates in the ones. I have been pretty impressed with him the times I have seen him and he seems to be able to play forward middle and back...I am perplexed that he seems to be on the outer and others seem to be able to get a game regardless of poor form and poor effort.....and I am not just singling Curtly out there although he is tha main target of my frustration with team selection i think Buntine can consider himself lucky this week as well.

Hampton in the squad won't be what loses us this game, but not getting games in to him could lose us games in the future. He is worth the perseverance. Some players take time.

WHE needs a couple more pre-seasons, he is not physically ready.

Hampton in the squad won't be what loses us this game, but not getting games in to him could lose us games in the future. He is worth the perseverance. Some players take time.
That is what the NEAFL is for
WHE needs a couple more pre-seasons, he is not physically ready.
A lot of our guys are not physically ready, there is no argument there, but they show something when they get a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampton is so polarizing. I see him with those flashes of brilliance which the club probably saw and caused them to pick him, but they always seem to end with a mistake.
Could've been a totally different story if he'd kicked a drop punt for a couple of goals early in the season last year instead of trying the Buddy dribble (Essendon at Skoda stands out for me) - time is on his side though.

Hampton is so polarizing. I see him with those flashes of brilliance which the club probably saw and caused them to pick him, but they always seem to end with a mistake.

At this point I don't know if he will make it, but he seemed better against Carlton. The thing is, if the players issues are "mental" then generally if you just get enough games in to them it starts to click. Because of that, they may as well keep him in the squad. The NEAFL will make him worse, if anything, and he isn't costing us games. Some players just need to get past the, kind of, 50 game mark (some even the 100) to really contribute consistently.

Some positives from the game:

The defeat was less than 100 points (just)
Curtly played a lot better... enough to justify his selection.
Liked what I saw from Bruce and Corr in terms of improvement.
Tomlinson is looking like the sort of tall player we need.

On the not so positive:

We got beaten by nearly 100 points.
Toby didn't have the best of games... but lets hope he gained a lot from the experience.
Mistakes and Turnovers are really costing us.

GREATER Western Sydney's young midfielders will all spend time in defensive roles to "learn a trade" during their development after Toby Greene was used as a small defender in Saturday's loss to Carlton.
Greene, who averaged 28.4 disposals a game last year (eighth in the AFL), was sent to Carlton goalsneak Jeff Garlett, who booted a game-high four goals in the Blues' 94-point win.
Midfielder Dylan Shiel, meanwhile, was used as a run-with midfielder, keeping Carlton captain Marc Murphy to 22 possessions.
Coach Kevin Sheedy said all of the club's emerging midfielders would be given similar assignments as they develop to teach them to "hammer the opposition" when they have the ball.
"Dylan's learning a trade and so is Toby Greene," the coach said.
"Last year they played on the ball and perhaps were given a free run in their positions, but now they're learning tight defensive midfield pressure positions.
"It's not all about spreading offensively out of the stoppage like you might feel the freedom to when you're in the under-18s.
"They're the teachings they need at this stage of their career … every one of our midfielders is going to go into the back half and they're going to learn it."

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-06-01/giants-midfielders-to-learn-their-trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back