Game Day Round 10 vs. Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 18/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we’ll be playing with the side that played West Coast for at least another week or so

Outside Schultz of course who comes in for say Harrison

But I’m curious who will come in for Howe and Bytel. Adelaide is another team that doesn’t have an overly tall forward line so do we bother bringing in Dean? I would have thought the Bulldogs would be the team for that.

Kreuger seems the logical in if he’s ready for Howe

Does Allen get a debut for Bytel? Or do we think Mitchell will be ready?
Both Jordy and Mitchell are tests this week, so there’s probably a 50/50 chance that both of them play. It will be interesting to hear the training reports this week.

Who are you dropping for Dean who isn't injured?

I honestly think Maynard just plays tall this week. Let's not forget how many games Howe missed last year.
We got away without a tall contest in the forward line because we obliterated wce through the centre square. We didn't look good when we did kick it long to the hotspot.

I think we need a plan B, as well as injury cover. I'd give Mitchell an extra weeks recovery, if Jordy gets up.

Geez, I would have thought he'd be long gone
Saw him with Ronnie Wood, Pete Townsend and Jim Capaldi backing Eric Clapton in his come back concert in January 1973 at the Rainbow Theatre London. I was about 4 rows in with Paul McCartney sitting in the row in front. Billy Thorpe was also in attendance. It was one of several concerts celebrating Britain entering the European Common Market. Unfortunately, none of these people ever played for Adelaide or Collingwood, so their direct relevance to this thread might be questioned.

Steve was still going strong in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If fit Titch must play, helps with mid rotations which we'll need against their mids.
Don't know about AJ, Kruegs could be the human wrecking ball we need to help our mosquito fleet swoop on crumbs.
And Traffic peaked at Barleycorn and Low Spark when they embraced prog.

So a bloke who has played 1.5 career games has surpassed Titch, who has likely been hampered by injury this season? OK.
Mitchell at his best is makes us better. Sullivan to me is the perfect medium term replacement for Mitchell and has more flexibility. He isnt your typical 2 gamer he is ready made and done his dues in the VFL.

Sullivan isnt in our best 23 now but come rd 24 it wouldn't surprise me if has broken into it.

Not disputing it's a vascular issue just strange a young athlete would have one.
It's obviously connected to another issue/injury or a medical genetic issue.
Yes and no. We just don’t have enough information.

Yes.
Unless it's related to an injury or underlying or secondary condition. No way a 31yo afl player has vascular issues

Never heard of compartment syndrome?

EDIT: I am not saying Elliott has compartment syndrome.

Really big calls coming up. McCreery, Schultz, Elliott, De Goey, Mitchell and Dean could all reasonably get looked at. Not sure how we want to line up against the Crows
Dean LMFAO .. seriously in for ? doing what spudding it up ? Fly has already said Mcreery gone for one more week, Elliot probably same, De goey is still in rehab . so Schultz and maybe Mitchell, hmm, nah, no big calls ...

Not disputing it's a vascular issue just strange a young athlete would have one.
It's obviously connected to another issue/injury or a medical genetic issue.
The fact he's played elite level footy for 13 years hardly suggests it's genetic.
Anyway hope it's all good I'm sure it will be sorted. Plenty of depth no need to rush and he'll be up for a big September
The most important part about Elliott's issue is that it's not significant & is very treatable...as per Wade. And he knows much more about it than any of us.

The good news is that this game is at the MCG and not AO, and that none of the injuries incurred today appear to be ultra serious (though concussion is always a worry).
Need to look at worst case scenarios, when all of JDG, Titch, Beau, Checkers, Howe, Jamie, HH, Bytel are unavailable, and go from there.
It is hard to decide on how to cover for Jeremy Howe.
The natural choice is Dean, who was listed as an emergency for this game. But if Dean comes in, he is only prepared to play down back, and then we have no real option for a tall forward (I don't want to see Frampton moved away from his role in defence - I thought he was great today, and we want our defence to keep synergising. He has become pivotal within that).
Begg is great at ground level, but is not a genuine ruckman. Could he come in at CHF, to occasionally take ruck contests in our F50, and to help get the ball to ground level where he excels, as well as our other small forwards (Bobby, Schulz, Richards)?
I don't know how Kreuger played in the VFL, but noted that at least he did not get injured!!
I think we have enough midfield depth, with Fin and Sullivan both playing, and with Naicos, Crisp, Pendles, Lippa, all hitting fine form through the midfield.
In the worst case scenario I would go:
OUT: Howie, HH, Bytel (all inj)
IN: Schultz, Begg, Kreuger (SUB)
Dean will NEVER be a natrula choice, he is ONLY a NF favorite for reasons unfathomable, Begg is injured if you wtached VFL game, so he aint gunna be a choice, Howe moves back and is replqaced by Schultz, Kreuger is a possibilty or Johnson given form last couple of games in VFL ( for either player)

Only problem with Krueger is that he only just played his second game came back in the VFL. With his injury history we may need to see him get through a full month of VFL footy, and increase his match fitness. Would hate to see him come back to early next week at AFL level, only to last a quarter or two......
Yes - sensible post .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back