Game Day Round 10 vs. Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 18/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick and JDG worked beautifully last year consistently. It’s no coincidence that they combined from the centre square in the grand final to out the final nail in Brisbanes coffin.
Was waiting for that one!! :)
An obvious and worthwhile comment.

They actually didn’t work “beautifully” as you put it for the majority of the year.
When Nick went into the middle mid year, he regressed. JDG being out mid year helped.

We were way down in CB numbers. Both offense and defense.
Everyone remembers that one play… which was glorious!!!

But to suggest that was the way it panned out last year is a fallacy.

Question….have the last 2 weeks looked unbelievable in CB compared to last year? What game last year has come close to equaling output for cb over the past 2 weeks?

Well that's true. Our Premiership flag actually depended on the Daicos-JDG synergy at cb.
I would attribute the lack of impact from these two collaborating in the cb far more to our slow start than to any inherent flaws in it.
Agree that our centre square balance wasn't working before De Goey and Mitchell went out, but has looked good since. Crisp and Nick have been great.

Could have been due to Jordy's poor form. Even when he was winning the ball he often used it poorly, so many hospital passes. Hopefully this poor form was partly due to injury and he'll return in better touch.

Question….have the last 2 weeks looked unbelievable in CB compared to last year? What game last year has come close to equaling output for cb over the past 2 weeks?
There were a few games last year where we dominated through the middle, Suns and Power two examples if memory serves (quite possibly not). Which is why it's too early to say a couple of good games without De Goey and Mitchell is something we could sustain, especially as one of those was against a terrible West Coast missing Yeo.

Instead of focusing on Nick, I'm looking more at Crisp. Some have put forward the theory that Nick and Jordy don't work too well together as they are too offensive. Not sure if that's true as they have both improved defensively, but Crisp I'd one who is strong both ways and should always see plenty of CBAs.

There were a few games last year where we dominated through the middle, Suns and Power two examples if memory serves (quite possibly not). Which is why it's too early to say a couple of good games without De Goey and Mitchell is something we could sustain, especially as one of those was against a terrible West Coast missing Yeo.

Instead of focusing on Nick, I'm looking more at Crisp. Some have put forward the theory that Nick and Jordy don't work too well together as they are too offensive. Not sure if that's true as they have both improved defensively, but Crisp I'd one who is strong both ways and should always see plenty of CBAs.
Yup. GC and port are it.

It’s actually not about the guys that run both ways (Crisp etc).
It’s the fact you have 2 out of 3 that are one and done.

Pies have self said they have a “hit it to jordy” policy. If he fumbles, he’s done. Nick is taking off and you’re left with 1 person to defend.

It’s not about how much clean exit we get….as opposed to how much clean exit we stop.
If we control that via CB….we’ll win more games than we lose.

Am I reading it right?

If every team above us in the 8 loses this weekend then we can jump as high as 3 provided we win too.
Yep But unfortunately those above us ESS🤮, Dees n Port will more than likely win
Peptides v Roos
Eagles v Dees
Port v Hawks

Was waiting for that one!! :)
An obvious and worthwhile comment.

They actually didn’t work “beautifully” as you put it for the majority of the year.
When Nick went into the middle mid year, he regressed. JDG being out mid year helped.

We were way down in CB numbers. Both offense and defense.
Everyone remembers that one play… which was glorious!!!

But to suggest that was the way it panned out last year is a fallacy.

The whole team regressed after mid year due to training loads, so I’m not sure Nicks move to the middle had any bearing on that. And between rounds 12-21 (when he got injured) he had Brownlow votes in 5 games including a run of 4 games in a row where he received 3 votes, so not sure how you came to the conclusion he regressed playing in the middle.

Now there’s no doubt we’ve looked great in CB’s the last two weeks, but I’m not so sure that’s a symptom of Nick and Jordy not playing together rather than Crisp moving in to the middle and being absolutely electric in his and Mitchell’s absence.

When was the last time our midfield functioned this well? Finals last year.

The whole team regressed after mid year due to training loads, so I’m not sure Nicks move to the middle had any bearing on that. And between rounds 12-21 (when he got injured) he had Brownlow votes in 5 games including a run of 4 games in a row where he received 3 votes, so not sure how you came to the conclusion he regressed playing in the middle.

Now there’s no doubt we’ve looked great in CB’s the last two weeks, but I’m not so sure that’s a symptom of Nick and Jordy not playing together rather than Crisp moving in to the middle and being absolutely electric in his and Mitchell’s absence.

When was the last time our midfield functioned this well? Finals last year.
All of this is why it’s fascinating!!

where was it reported that training loads was the reason?
Think that’s your opinion. Actually….its 100% your opinion. Feel free to refute that?!?

Can’t be bothered looking it up….but what was the Brownlow points mix from 12-21 where JDG wasn’t playing vs when he was?
That’s going to explain what I’m suggesting.

As for finals function long as well.
No. we broke even…which is still great. We we didn’t win like we have recently

Each to their own on this.
You’ll find a positive and I’ll find a negative!

This weekend will give a great insight either way.

I think you have misunderstood my post. Read it again while referring to the post I replied to specifically in the context of Finn’s goals. None of which were Joe the goose BTW.
First to admit I actually have no idea what you’re advocating!!!
I should have lead with that!!

Your post suggests they we shouldn’t discount goals kicked?

Or did I misread that?
Happy to be corrected!

All of this is why it’s fascinating!!

where was it reported that training loads was the reason?
Think that’s your opinion. Actually….its 100% your opinion. Feel free to refute that?!?
Players in interviews over the preseason stated several times that we had heavy training loads after mid year when we were locked in to finals. This is not my opinion.
Can’t be bothered looking it up….but what was the Brownlow points mix from 12-21 where JDG wasn’t playing vs when he was?
That’s going to explain what I’m suggesting.
I don’t know what rounds Jordy was out, but they were both in the votes in round 18. Nick had 3 and Jordy 1.
As for finals function long as well.
No. we broke even…which is still great. We we didn’t win like we have recently
We had those sort of performances early last year against several sides before finals were locked in and loads were ramped up. Yes I know, Nick was playing half back early year, but that wasn’t the reason we were dominating imo.
You don’t expect to dominate oppo midfields in finals, that’s why they’re finals. Because the opposition is by and large, high quality. Melbourne, GWS and Brisbane all had extremely good midfields last year, and we had to be functioning at our best to break even/win, which we did.
Each to their own on this.
You’ll find a positive and I’ll find a negative!

This weekend will give a great insight either way.
100%
Look at it this way though, if you watched the way Crisp has played at centre bounces the last few weeks would you say it’s been offensive, defensive or a mix? For mine, he’s come in and played an offensive role and done it beautifully, always on the move, just like Jordy is, and he’s done it alongside Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, what a great night last night. I'm off for my 2k Jog , I'm so happy I'm not even worried about the cold. Please win today pies, and complete my weekend. First Geelong, then Carlton, it doesn't get any better than this
Only if we win and Nth beat Essendon. But I’ll be happy with just us winning too.

Here’s a curious stat:

How many Premierships have been won by MCG tenants versus Marvel tenants in the last 20 years?

MCG - 10 Premierships; Marvel - 1 Premiership

Last edited:
Here’s a curious stat:

How many Premierships have been won MCG tenants versus Marvel tenants in the last 20 years?
Chicken and egg situation. Are they at Marvel because they are shit or are they shit because they are at Marvel. Given in the case of most of them their shitness spans over a far greater time period than the existence of the ground, I’d say it’s the former.

Given in the case of most of them their shitness spans over a far greater time period than the existence of the ground, I’d say it’s the former.

Carlton - no
Essendon - no
North - no
Bulldogs - sure, but they’re the only Marvel tenant to win a Premiership
St Kilda - yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back