Preview Round 11 Changes v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly want Voss to stay in. He’s not doing much wrong other than converting set shots but that could change very quickly.

Would love to see him tackle Maynard into next week
Voss is an interesting one. From 29 games in the VFL his last two years he kicked 49 34 including a 5.0 straight game.

He has obviously caught the the Freo yips virus since being here.

Simpson has a very special talent (in both AFL and WAFL) of completely disappearing for large chunks of the game. Nothing against him, he's very young and plays in a tough position. And when he does get the ball he does some nice things with it. But if you're not getting the ball you need to be a presence around the ground, and your pressure needs to be palpable.
It's the exact same story for Delean. We are in a tough situation where both players are needed but neither of them are ready. Both need to earn their spot playing for Peel.

West Coast beating Melbourne makes this game more important for our finals chances imo.
We have to bring our A game, and for some strange reason I think we will.
Optus is starting to feel a bit more like the "House of Pain"

West Coast beating Melbourne makes this game more important for our finals chances imo.
We have to bring our A game, and for some strange reason I think we will.
Optus is starting to feel a bit more like the "House of Pain"
I don't think we've even come close to beating McRae though. Been smashed the last 3 times we played them. Only team we haven't beaten in the past two years, and we haven't even come close.

In Darcy, simpson
Out Voss, freddie

Emmett might come into the 22, Simpson sub

Actually now that I think about it, I’m not really sure what we’ll do for Rick’s replacement, as you don’t need to go like for like.

Really need to win the Chris Tarrant cup after the Dees drop about 8 percentage points.

I don't think we've even come close to beating McRae though. Been smashed the last 3 times we played them. Only team we haven't beaten in the past two years, and we haven't even come close.
It’s watchyou call a small sample size. It’s a streak until it ain’t and we’re improving fast. It’ll be a sweeter victory for it.

Emmett, Walters, JOM (actively bad for 3/4 of the game), Draper all out.

Don't care who comes in just anyone. Until we move on from the first three not going to improve consistently.

Draper needs a spell. You could keep him until Cox is back though.

JOM has 10 score involvements on the weekend only behind Hayden Young (12) for anyone on the ground….take off the blinkers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can't remember which one, but I know there was one goal in the last quarter which was started with a contested win on the half forward flank by Emmett. I thought his pressure in the forward half was good.

Really we're looking at a game result where we missed about 10 set shots at goal from inside 50m.

If you are right then it was of only 1 of 4 he was involved in for the night, equal 15th for Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance if Darcy is back.

The coaches are married to the structure, they won’t try 4 talls up front.
Would be the perfect time for it.
Jackson is a garbage leap at half forward. Voss adds grunt and more structure.
Jackson should play around the ground, even defensive wing like Blicavs.
But Jl is so traditionalist.

Erasmus isn't fast enough to provide the pressure that Emmet brings.

Emmett’s pressure isn’t as good as people think. So far this year his average “pressure acts”, total tackles and F50 tackles are around the same as Sonny and way below Banfield and Switter and it was the same on the weekend.

Has Voss taken a mark yet that wasn't on his chest?

He has plenty of time on that but Jackson can clunk the full stretch marks after a leap.
There were a few occasions where Voss tried to take the mark on his chest instead of out in front, that's not AFL standard. As you'd expect, a defender easily spoils most of these away.

Voss is a good WAFL player at this stage. He can compete somewhat at AFL because of his power, strength, and he does understand the game. Marking and kicking are below the level.

The positive is there's something there to work with.

There were a few occasions where Voss tried to take the mark on his chest instead of out in front, that's not AFL standard. As you'd expect, a defender easily spoils most of these away.

Voss is a good WAFL player at this stage. He can compete somewhat at AFL because of his power, strength, and he does understand the game. Marking and kicking are below the level.

The positive is there's something there to work with.
He did have the most marks i50 for us, and he’s had 7 shots on goal in the past two games. So he knows how to generate chances which has him halfway there already. Just needs to figure out his set shot.

If this really is the end for Walters I am happy to carry him for the year. He deserves that. Also we're short of forward leadership without him.

I hope he pulls up stumps at the end of the year if he is done. Hate to see him carry on another year and end up in the WAFL.
No player should ever be carried, regardless of previous history. The difference between making the 8 or not making the 8 can be miniscule and you need everything going for you. There is no room for sentiment.

If you are right then it was of only 1 of 4 he was involved in for the night, equal 15th for Freo

If it was 4th quarter (it may have been the 2nd) it would have had to have been the play that led up to O'Meara's first goal from the set shot. It happened near the boundary (opposite side of the ground in TV camera terms), in a contest where the ball spilled free to a Saints player who had protection and Emmett got through to the player in possession and got the ball off him and handballed back inside.

It's hard to interpret score involvements and what they prove. I tallied 116 SI's off the stat page (check as I didn't use a calculator) in a score of 9:18. How many times should a team handle the ball before they get a score?, and then it would also depend on what position from the ground the scoring chain starts from.

Ideally i'd think you'd want less ball handling to give direct play to goals, and we handball a lot which would bump up the number of involvements for each player. And then what if there's a perfect bit of play where everyone does everything right from half-back to half forward and then the delivery inside 50m gets marked or spoiled by a defender, or it gets kicked out of bounds. (i.e. one player from your team or opposition can bugger up a Score Involvement chain and it doesn't go down as a stat)

Emmett's contested possession were 7, better than any other forward in our side, 2nd behind Max King on 8. I don't think he had a great game or anything, but I did think he did some other good things that don't show up on statistics and will more than likely keep his place with Frederick going out.

Last edited:
Voss is an interesting one. From 29 games in the VFL his last two years he kicked 49 34 including a 5.0 straight game.

He has obviously caught the the Freo yips virus since being here
In each of our last two games he's the player that has been responsible for our early miss from fairly simple straight forward set shots.

Watching JLo when Sonny tried that torp from 50 he wasn’t impressed.. too many blokes trying to kick ridiculous goals is a leading cause for inaccuracy.. Sonny needs a break even if he doesn’t play for Peel.. Draper also needs a run with Peel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back