Preview Round 13, 2020 vs Hawthorn - Chad is coming to town

Remove this Banner Ad

i was a massive wingard fan, but the club tried nearly everything to motivate him and make him the best he could be. 100% true that year in year out he would rock up to pre season massively underdone and out of shape. He showed very little interest in being part of the team. I get it that some players are introverts and dont love the game, but you should put in what you need for the collective.

It’s telling that none of the Chad fanbois in this thread have responded directly to the clear inside info from Arsene in this thread, preferring to talk about in broad strokes about some mythical ‘treatment’ that he did or didn’t receive from the coaching panel.

It’s a stark contrast to the Travis Boak Renaissance thread, where his dedication to preparation and recovery has been rightly lauded.

Imagine thinking that is Good, Actually that a highly paid professional athlete wouldn’t meet standards set by a coaching staff, and that it is not total loser mentality waste year(s) of your career ignoring these expectations based on perceived credibility of the coaches, as if Ken was in fact Mark Neeld 2.0 or some such.

Perhaps Chad would have benefited from the Boak housemates experience, I mean that with all sincerity.

Asymmetry of, and adherence to, basic standards will kill your culture, and we’re seeing the benefits of that now, as sad as it is that we don’t get to see Chad’s full career at Port. I say this all as someone who likes Chad, and is indifferent to Ken.

Maybe the Geelong boys should never have sat down Gaz Jnr, and just let him be?

Last edited:
Chad is different from Jarman because he was actually a star player for us.

Chad is different from Shaun because he loved the club and was forced out unlike Shaun who chose to leave (because it all got too hard and then proceeded to cruise as a bit part player in a 3 time premiership team).

Shaun made two AA squads at Hawthorn and should have made the team in 2013.

I doubt Chad reaches those heights, which is a shame

Wonder if Wingard regrets not pursuing basketball, I mean he wouldn't be a star in it but he seems to love that American sort of life.

Hes made a *ton more money in footy than he ever would have in basketball

Shaun made two AA squads at Hawthorn and should have made the team in 2013.

I doubt Chad reaches those heights, which is a shame
Yeah the disrespect the vast majority show towards shaun us astounding, i was gutted like everyone else and had extreme anger towards his choice to leave but to say chad was in some way more port adelaide and more valuable than any player thats left before is a joke.

We love to excuse Shaun's departure by saying his knee was shot but reality tells us he reached arguably greater heights at hawthorn than he did with us.

Hinkley was an assistant coach at Geelong from 2004-2009 when the Cats made finals every year except one, made the grand final three times and won two flags. In fact, it was only when Hinkley was appointed as an assistant that Geelong returned to finals after Thompson’s debut year in 2000 where the 5th placed Cats managed to lose to 8th placed Hawthorn ...the Cats had missed finals from 2001-2003.

Since this board seems to attribute everything good that happens to Schofield and Montgomery due to the same tenuous links, that means Ken is directly responsible for 2 flags.

Admittedly he was reportedly wonderful for Geelong. As an assistant. Over a decade ago.

It’s telling that none of the Chad fanbois in this thread have responded directly to the clear inside info from Arsene in this thread, preferring to talk about in broad strokes about some mythical ‘treatment’ that he did or didn’t receive from the coaching panel.

It’s a stark contrast to the Travis Boak Renaissance thread, where his dedication to preparation and recovery has been rightly lauded.

Imagine thinking that is Good, Actually that a highly paid professional athlete wouldn’t meet standards set by a coaching staff, and that it is not total loser mentality waste year(s) of your career ignoring these expectations based on perceived credibility of the coaches, as if Ken was in fact Mark Neeld 2.0 or some such.

Perhaps Chad would have benefited from the Boak housemates experience, I mean that with all sincerity.

Asymmetry of, and adherence to, basic standards will kill your culture, and we’re seeing the benefits of that now, as sad as it is that we don’t get to see Chad’s full career at Port. I say this all as someone who likes Chad, and is indifferent to Ken.

Oof, I want to like this alter-ego.

Anyway, I'm bored with the Chad talk. We might have two sets of supporters this week - those that want to see Port win comfortably, and those that want Chad to torch us so they can jump on here and pull out a few Sack Hinkleys. I know who I'm backing.

We can comfortably have both. A percentage-retrieving win and Chad running amok in his natural habitat of the Adelaide Oval arcs 🥰

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad is different from Jarman because he was actually a star player for us.

Chad is different from Shaun because he loved the club and was forced out unlike Shaun who chose to leave (because it all got too hard and then proceeded to cruise as a bit part player in a 3 time premiership team).
Chad may have been forced out but i don't think any of us here are 100% sure of that.

Shaun may be in the overrated category in Melbourne, but overall he has had an outstanding career with his best years in my opinion being at Port Adelaide in 2006 and 2007.

Shaun may have chosen to leave but i can see why he did, and obviously looks like a wise decision for him. Did he not love the club? This is news to me. Perhaps things would've been different if he was made captain as Choco wanted in 2009. Chad never even featured in the leadership group.

Shaun will always be an inaugural AFL premiership player at port too, it's probably a bigger shame him leaving than Chad Wingard in my opinion.

Shaun Burgoyne bailed on the club when it was at its lowest ebb. It’s worked out very well for him but that doesn’t mean I have to have any respect for him at all. I don’t know why he even bothers to rock up to the premiership reunion dinners. And * all those Hawthorn cry babies that carried on like pork chops during that trade period.

Shaun Burgoyne bailed on the club when it was at its lowest ebb. It’s worked out very well for him but that doesn’t mean I have to have any respect for him at all. I don’t know why he even bothers to rock up to the premiership reunion dinners. And fu** all those Hawthorn cry babies that carried on like pork chops during that trade period.
Yeah be damned if ill celebrate a guy who essentially got us into a grand final with a finger tip goal saving stretch in the dying minutes of a preliminary. But <3 chad all day err day

Where has any so called 'fanboi' denied that Chad could've worked harder and could've tried harder to fit in? It's actually a two way street though. The club has a responsibility to manage its players and get the best out of them - something they have quite clearly been unable to do for an extended period of time.

Environment and culture can have a big impact. Not everyone is a self starter like Boak. Chad came into our system as an energetic, motivated footballer and left it supposedly lazy and unmotivated. Why?

Reckon we might see the unsociable Hawks return on Saturday.

Cant see Clarko not crack the shits and want to see some harder efforts from his players after the last few weeks in Perth. Might be 22 gut punches on Saturday seeing Lynch has got away with them.

We better be prepared for some of this bullshit and other tricks Clarko might come up with. I don't want us to be asleep to this at the start and they get 3 or 4 quick ones in the first quarter whilst we are asleep and that's been enough of a gap in most games this year.

Reckon we might see the unsociable Hawks return on Saturday.

Cant see Clarko not crack the shits and want to see some harder efforts from his players after the last few weeks in Perth. Might be 22 gut punches on Saturday seeing Lynch has got away with them.

We better be prepared for some of this bullshit and other tricks Clarko might come up with. I don't want us to be asleep to this at the start and they get 3 or 4 quick ones in the first quarter whilst we are asleep and that's been enough of a gap in most games this year.
Everything falling into place for a "what happen power" moment this weekend

Yeah be damned if ill celebrate a guy who essentially got us into a grand final with a finger tip goal saving stretch in the dying minutes of a preliminary. But

The * did my post have to do with Chad?

Where has any so called 'fanboi' denied that Chad could've worked harder and could've tried harder to fit in? It's actually a two way street though. The club has a responsibility to manage its players and get the best out of them - something they have quite clearly been unable to do for an extended period of time.

Where is the substance that the football department didn’t fulfil their responsibility to the player? He’s the sort of talent that you would give 100 chances to get it right, and there is no evidence that he wasn’t afforded that. Was the club supposed to publicly release a blow-by-blow account of motivational strategies that were employed?

Environment and culture can have a big impact. Not everyone is a self starter like Boak. Chad came into our system as an energetic, motivated footballer and left it supposedly lazy and unmotivated. Why?

The point is not that he should have shown the fanatical commitment to Travis Boak. It is that Trav has shown this to be unwavering throughout all calibre of coaches and ladder positions, which has been given as the reason as to why Chad wouldn’t raise a gallop. Boak goes above and beyond, but if the coach and playing group has set an expectation that still isn’t met, how long can you overlook lack of personal/professional responsibility before severing ties? It’s a grown up, high performance environment.

Ultimately, it’s much simpler than that. It was universally agreed/recognised that Chad doesn’t care for the sport. It’s baffling that extremely intelligent people can’t draw the line between that and how his career is panning out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back