Autopsy Round 13, 2021: Hawks sink the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First time poster, long term voyeur.
A great game for a first post ...

Just watched the game for a second time and I agree, the umpiring didn't seem as bad on review - though Carey and BT 's commentary was even worse than I remembered (the commentary around Papsmear vs Razor Ray seemed to light the fuse, with Carey dialing up the douche-factor to 11).

A selection of things that stood out the second time around:

Mitchell was amazing early, dominating the clearances, and great overall.
The midfield was well on top in the first quarter, before Jai had a real impact (so we can't put the transformation all down to Jai, as great as he was).
The game was full of knock-ons and blocks, and a proper old-fashioned shepherd from Jai in the last. Had to be a coaching focus, surely.
Kosi is a beast of a competitor - absolutely deserves his place in the side and can only see him getting better.
The defensive group was a nightmare to play against.
The win was the epitome of a team effort, with no weak links at all (although Morris, who I quite like, is still uncomfortable at the level).

All in all, I'm tempted to give it a third watch - with the sound down :p

A or B? And welcome BTW 😎
Screenshot_20210613_195453.jpg

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
This one happens to Worpel in the second quarter and not considered dangerous by the umpires, they set the precedent for the rest of the game of what is acceptable.

Absolutely appeal, this is BS and trial by media.

Well done Jonny Ralph, just be consistent with your campaigns.

‘the umpires didn’t consider the Worpel tackle dangerous either

Brant unsighted since his post about having 2 beers before 10-30am yesterday. Hope he gets to see a replay.;)
What a win!

I went to the game, added a '0' to the end of that beer count by night's end & paid for it all day Saturday!

Without going player by player, I was amazed at how in-control we looked all night. We had midfield ascendency but our pressure was the bit that stood out most. Even when they rebounded from our F50m or in general play between the arcs, I always felt we had them covered, like they struggled to transition the ball with any meaning or fluidity.

Our pressure was genuinely good, at the man but also all over the ground with our defensive set-up.

Sydney seemed slow. I wonder how we'll look next week against a faster side. Hopefully, we make them look slow as well.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
The problem with modern AFL commentary is that it is the domain of champion footballers without much going on upstairs. Those who have a bit more capacity upstairs go into other industries where they can exploit their wealth and connections to open doors . Or if they stay in football they go into administration or coaching.

Special comments and boundary riding is the lazy last resort for champion ex players who didn’t bother planning for life after footy. The real dregs end up doing gambling commercials like Nathan Brown.

The losers in this are the viewers who have to listen to morons every week. Networks would be better off getting ex coaches into commentary to explain tactics etc. Start with Bucks please (as he also ticks the champion player box for popularity points).
I miss the Dipper!

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our legal team could point out the incident above were Worpel was himself tackled headfirst with 1 arm pinned yet that was not cited. Whats the difference?. Surely common sense has to prevail here. Cunningham had an opportunity to protect himself yet chose to hang onto the ball.
wrong, cunningham let go of the ball and did protect himself.

Bloody oath we will. We were -29 in the free kick differential for the entire season until this game. You guys were +7. I’d honestly forgotten what being favoured by the umpires felt like. Plus maybe if you'd been harder at the ball you would've gotten more frees ;)
if Papley could shut his trap maybe Razor wouldn't have pinged Sydney for everything after that.

I would like to know what the free kick count was after Papley's dummy spit. At least one for abuse! And also a few more not paid like the out on the full.
Razor really made Sydney pay after that Papley dummy spit. Loved it to be honest.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Someome in the fashion industry may know! I thought a few of our player looked bigger/stronger than a few weeks back? Was it the strip i.e. are the stripes slimming? I felt we were a more physically imposing unit than the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeafHawk

Senior List
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

How the hell that works?
Jesus Christ!!

Shane Mumford is the either the luckiest roughest player or the smartest roughest player after yet another bout of incidents that trod the fine line of decency.
One, he coat-hangered Tarryn Thomas after the umpire had blown his whistle and, two his forearm was inches away from the back of Jy Simpkin's head.
The second act was near a reckless tackle. Too many laugh at Mumford's Antics, but when the MRO take a stand?
Even Gary Lyon & Tim Waston didn't like what they saw..

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
How the hell that works?
Jesus Christ!!

Shane Mumford is the either the luckiest roughest player or the smartest roughest player after yet another bout of incidents that trod the fine line of decency.
One, he coat-hangered Tarryn Thomas after the umpire had blown his whistle and, two his forearm was inches away from the back of Jy Simpkin's head.
The second act was near a reckless tackle. Too many laugh at Mumford's Antics, but when the MRO take a stand?
Even Gary Lyon & Tim Waston didn't like what they saw..

Mumford would have got sorted out in the Brereton era. the definition of flat track.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Disagree, I reckon he would be about 10x worse.

He's got that complete c@#t in him that I actually love.
Mummy likes to smash the smallest bloke on the field. He would crumple in an era when other players would be giving the same back to him.

If he were a country footballer, his only target would be to take out the u/18 kids.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There’s the challenge argument right there. Ralph is right the force is the same.
Even if there is slightly less in the Mills one (i don't think there is), one is graded medium impact while the other is insufficient impact. So what gets graded as low impact?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back