Autopsy Round 14, 2021: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to post, but you pretty much said all I wanted to say.

With a couple of good pick-ups in the draft and more game time experience, I think we're not too far off.

Positive signs.
We lost by two kicks, while being absolutely belted in the middle.

Our forward 50 and defensive 50 are doing a lot of good things right now, and a small improvement in the middle, we’ll get the rewards.

My take from today:

Our midfield slaughtered, centre clearances an embarrassment

Dylan Moore & James Cousins belong at Box Hill

Tim O’Brien biggest tease. Drafted 2012 and given enough opportunities & let slip every one of them. Time to delist at seasons end.

Mitchell & Jaeger tried their hardest but our lack of midfield depth once again shown out.

Draper first game back mauled us, reminds me of the Saints game when Marshall & Ryder dominated.

Love our set up behind the ball with Impey, Dimma, scimshaw & CJ but lack of polish up front and midfield getting badly beaten a tale of our season.

Can the season end already and draft night start!

We lost by two kicks, while being absolutely belted in the middle.

Our froward 50 and defensive 50 are doing a lot of good things right now, and a small improvement in the middle, we’ll get the rewards.
24 shots at goal too which was pipe dream around a month ago .

My take from today:

Our midfield slaughtered, centre clearances an embarrassment

Dylan Moore & James Cousins belong at Box Hill

Tim O’Brien biggest tease. Drafted 2012 and given enough opportunities & let slip every one of them. Time to delist at seasons end.

Mitchell & Jaeger tried their hardest but our lack of midfield depth once again shown out.

Draper first game back mauled us, reminds me of the Saints game when Marshall & Ryder dominated.

Love our set up behind the ball with Impey, Dimma, scimshaw & CJ but lack of polish up front and midfield getting badly beaten a tale of our season.

Can the season end already and draft night start!

How closely have you watched out games this year?

Cousins is fine depth and on his good days looks like a serviceable midfielder at AFL level. Too good for VFL, but not quite good enough to be a guaranteed best 22 if eveyrbody is fit and firing.

Moorey on the other hand has played every game and is second in our goal kicking. You wan't him banished to Box Hill because he didn't get a lot of the footy yesterday? Was directly involved in 2 goals in the second quarter and kicked the last one to bring us back to within 6 points. He's been a surprisingly great replacement for Puopolo while we also try to develop another Cyril.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We kicked ourselves out of the game despite having very kickable set shots particularly in the first quarter. At 1.6 we were in trouble. Despite that we stayed in the game until the end which is a good sign. As a generalisation the skill levels of the team are sub standard (dare I say lacking polish) but this will improve as the young players develop and/or are replaced by new recruits.
Our defence looks good and is tested every week with multiple forward entries often with little pressure from our midfield. That is the main positive to come out of 2021. DGB and Sicily will add even more class and versatility.
With our obvious limitations particularly in the midfield I thought it was a fair effort but we still have a long way to go.

Moorey on the other hand has played every game and is second in our goal kicking. You wan't him banished to Box Hill because he didn't get a lot of the footy yesterday? Was directly involved in 2 goals in the second quarter and kicked the last one to bring us back to within 6 points. He's been a surprisingly great replacement for Puopolo while we also try to develop another Cyril.
Agree with your stuff re: Moore, except for the Popeye replacement bit.

Play completely different roles & contribute in completely different ways.

The lads missed a lot of opportunities to score goals from the opportunities they had, especially when the clearances were well and truly won by the scum. Could have been an unlikely win! I have faith, good signs ahead.

We stopped using the corridor in the last quarter, going conservatively up the wing. Also Day had a relative shocker with clangers in the last. Stringer, in beast mode, was unstoppable, but aided by some debatable umpiring.

We have a couple of genuine weapons off half back. Impey and CJ provide huge run and can only improve. Howe looks very solid too.

It's not the loss we wanted but I would be nervous of going too much up the draft order. Gold Coast and Carlton look like rabble and even Saints may not have great incentive to improve.

Most underrated stat in the game , goal kicking accuracy .
Cost us this game .

Did it really though?

Both teams had 24 shots on goal, Essendon missed some sitters too.

A lot of the Hawks misses came from repeat entries, it’s likely if you kick one of those the other shots aren’t created as the Bombers were monstering the Hawks in the midfield.

As far as I’m concerned it was the perfect game for us. Had a good crack, lacked polished but showed signs. I know we all want to win but not getting the 4 points yesterday is much better for us in the long run
#pick2
No doubt. A lot of silver lining there.
Our midfield needs a ton of work. Pick 2 is exactly what we need as a starting point.

Did it really though?

Both teams had 24 shots on goal, Essendon missed some sitters too.

A lot of the Hawks misses came from repeat entries, it’s likely if you kick one of those the other shots aren’t created as the Bombers were monstering the Hawks in the midfield.
It was mainly Draper. Thought Mitchell, JOM and Howe had the better of yours throughout the day. With Stringer the exception when he went in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back