Game Day Round 14: Spud's Game - St Kilda v Essendon, Friday June 17, 7.50pm AEST - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
round14.jpg

form line.jpg

ST KILDA SAINTS

The Saints were always going to struggle against arguably the best side in the league, but their plight was made much harder with multiple injuries on the night.
One would argue that the Saints were lucky to have not lost by much more, with the Lions' wayward kicking keeping the Saints within arms reach.
The Saints had to play the final quarter with only two on the bench, with Mitch Owens, Dan McKenzie, and Zak Jones all on the pine.
The St Kilda engine room, sans captain Jack Steele, worked tirelessly in the guts but weren't able to overcome the Brisbane onslaught.
Mrs Sledge was very unhappy with the loss.

BRISBANE LIONS 10.18 78
def.
ST KILDA SAINTS 8.9 57

GOALS:
Gresham, King 2, Butler, Crouch, Higgins, McKenzie
BEST: Sinclair, Ross, Gresham, Battle, Paton

-----------

ESSENDON BOMBERS

Same s**t, different week.
The pre-game was immense, the atmosphere was fever-pitch. Heroes of the Essendon footy club, paraded in front of a huge crowd, ready for battle with the old enemy.
The skipper tugged on the guernsey, and inspired the team, ready to go and push their hardest for the win in this miserable year.
And that was it. That was the peak. Especially for Hep, which might be one of the hardest conversations to have.
Dylan Shiel was immense. Brilliant game.
Jake Stringer was basically invisible on return, but we have to assume that he'll be better for it.
Sam Draper busts his arse, and he's brilliant.
Junior Merrett tried, but with a corked calf, Darcy Parish couldn't match his normal output.
We just can't kick a decent score. Another pitiful total.
-sigh-

ESSENDON BOMBERS 7.12 54
def. by
F*CK CARLTON 12.8 80

GOALS:
Jones, Draper 2, Shiel, Hobbs, Heppell
BEST: Shiel, Merrett, Hind, Caldwell

lineups.jpg

round14.jpg

ST KILDA EMERGENCIES: Marcus Windhager, Cooper Sharman, Darragh Joyce, Mason Wood
ESSENDON EMERGENCIES: James Stewart, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Alec Waterman, Tom Cutler

---

ST KILDA OUTS: Daniel McKenzie, Mitch Owens (Both injured), Jarrod Lienert, Marcus Windhager, Mason Wood (All omit)
ST KILDA INS: Hunter Clark, Jack Billings, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Ryan Byrnes

ESSENDON OUTS: Darcy Parish (Injured), Tom Cutler, Zach Reid (Both omit), Alec Waterman (Medi-sub)
ESSENDON INS: Massimo D'Ambrosio, Andrew McGrath, Brayden Ham

---

Subs are announced one hour prior to bounce.

-------

DEBUT:

D'Ambrosio.png

#42 - Massimo D'Ambrosio, Essendon
Mid-Season Draft 2022, Pick #3

MILESTONE:

Wright.png

#20 - Peter Wright, Essendon
100 GAMES

selectiontable.jpg

Some huge ins for the Saints this week, with clear Best 22 players Jack Billings and Hunter Clark back into the starting lineup after overcoming injuries. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has been one of the more impressive debutants this year, and he returns to the AFL side alongside Ryan Byrnes. Dan McKenzie and Mitchito Owens are both out through the AFL's concussion protocols, whilst Jarrod Lienert, Marcus Windhager, and Mason Wood have both been dropped to Sandringham.

A huge smack in the face for the Dons with Darcy Parish, arguably our best player, out for this week at least with a corked calf. Tom Cutler was omitted to no-one's surprise, but so has... Zach Reid? What the *? And with Brayden Ham, who's failed to impress time after time after time back in? I... What?

This doesn't make any sense. If you want to play the kids, play the kids. Zach would benefit hugely from watching Max King in action.

Pidge McGrath returns to the starting lineup in welcome news, especially considering the absence of Darcy Parish - Let's hope he has his midfield boots on. We'll need them.

Replacing Orazio Fantasia as the coolest name in the league, Massimo D'Ambrosio makes his AFL debut tonight, two weeks after playing for Richmond's VFL team. The boy from Point Cook will be looking to assert himself as yet another mid-season draft win, continuing Dododododorororo's mid-year golden streak with Will Snelling and Sam Durham.

Molto bene.

last time.jpg

Round 3, 2021
Marvel Stadium
3/4/2021

ESSENDON 22.11 143
def.
ST KILDA SAINTS 9.14 68

---------

ESSENDON GOALS: Hooker 5, Stringer 4, McDonald-Tipungwuti 3, Waterman, Snelling, Jones 2, Smith, Redman, McGrath, Cox
ST KILDA GOALS: Higgins 3, Billings 2, Crouch, Membrey, Steele, King

ESSENDON BEST: Parish, Ridley, Hooker, Stringer, Snelling
ST KILDA BEST: Steele, Higgins, Carlisle, Billings

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Smith, Snelling, Langford, Francis, Cox, Zerk-Thatcher, Hooker, Cutler, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Waterman
ESSENDON INS: D'Ambrosio, Martin, Heppell, Kelly, Draper, Shiel, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Phillips

ST KILDA OUTS: Steele, Lonie, Coffield, Wood, Carlisle, McKernan, McKenzie
ST KILDA INS: Paton, Webster, Marshall, Ryder, Byrnes, Wanganeen-Milera

tip.jpg

I initially thought we'd have a shot seeing how badly beaten up the Saints were last week, but those are quality ins. I expect effort, but abysmal skills, as is the norm now. Happy to be proven wrong, as always.

St Kilda by 33.

----------

Spud’s Game: Time 2 Talk

It’s Time 2 Talk about mental health and suicide prevention.

Almost 1 in 2 Australians will experience mental ill-health at some point in their life.

The Saints have teamed up with Movember to deliver the 2nd annual Spud's Game, a momentous match for mental health happening in Round 14 of the AFL on Friday 17 June.

We’re on a mission, to reduce the risk of suicide in the community, and look after our mates. Having strong social connections, and talking more, can help to protect against anxiety, depression and even suicide.

Spud’s Game encourages us to go beyond the banter and take action for the mental health of our mates, while raising life-saving funds to deliver pioneering mental health and suicide prevention programs through the Danny Frawley Centre.

Make sure to get involved and purchase a virtual footy for the game tonight to support men's mental health and the conversations around it. There has never been a more crucial time to throw support around those who are struggling.

Last edited:
No idea why but I'm expecting a better performance this week with Stringer second game back and my boy 2MP under the roof in his 100th. Also looking forward to seeing Caldwell back in and another week of Hobbs, Martin, Perkins and of course D'Ambrosio.

This thread is buzzing!!!!

Looking forward to the win, Ham kicking 5 goals with our backline running away from the too tall, too slow St Kilda forward line.

Massimo with a rising star nomination performance.

We're short on KPDs.
KPD turned forward James Stewart is named sub.
Max King kicks 12.
Essington

Round 3, 2021
Marvel Stadium
3/4/2021

ESSENDON 22.11 143
def.
ST KILDA SAINTS 9.14 68

---------

ESSENDON GOALS: Hooker 5, Stringer 4, McDonald-Tipungwuti 3, Waterman, Snelling, Jones 2, Smith, Redman, McGrath, Cox
ST KILDA GOALS: Higgins 3, Billings 2, Crouch, Membrey, Steele, King

ESSENDON BEST: Parish, Ridley, Hooker, Stringer, Snelling
ST KILDA BEST: Steele, Higgins, Carlisle, Billings

just over 12 months ago we had a team capable of kicking 22 goals?

This blows my mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday night. We gonna get embarrassed again.

St Kilda (Nick) vs Richmond (Jack) is Maddie's Match, unless they play each other twice
Fair. Still not sure why it should be Essendon though

Well prepare to have your mind blown more, that team could have kicked 33 that night.

Tonight we’ll only kick 24.
I'd like my mind to be blown, I really would, but on my terms, and with my safe word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back