Preview Round 15, 2018 - Swans .v. Richmond

Who wins?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE MORTON-NANK CUP

The Mighty Sydney Swans/SMFC .v. The Nihnthmond Tigers

WHERE: Etihad Stadium (WTF AFL!? ... W... T.... F??)

WHEN: Thursday, June 28, 7.20pm AEST

RECENT HISTORY

R13, 2017, Sydney 12.8 (80) d Richmond 10.11 (71) at the MCG

R23, 2016, Sydney 25.14 (164) d Richmond 7.9 (51) at the SCG

R8, 2016, Richmond 14.17 (101) d Sydney 15.10 (100) at the MCG

R13, 2015, Richmond 14.11 (95) d Sydney 11.11 (77) at the SCG

R23, 2014, Richmond 10.8 (68) d Sydney 9.11 (65) at ANZ Stadium

BACKGROUND

If there’s one thing we know it’s that our club loves an underdog. In the big brutely beauty in Nank we had a seemingly solid, quality, beast of a ruckman ready to step up and take the #1 mantle. Unfortunately for him we also had my favourite pie promoter (Tippett) along with a few other schmucks as depth (Sinkers & Naisy) somehow holding him out... We were overstocked and it was clear we should get rid of the quality depth or the young unproven not fully developed depth. So big Nank wouldn’t get the kind of opportunity he craved unless he either moved on or, say for example, something should happen to our other ruckman (like they retire or do a knee or something... for example...).

Clearly the big burly bigman made the sad decision to leave and return back to the “footy heartland” (+ increased media/earning opportunities, cheaper cost of living, less travel, greater family support, increased competition when contract negotiations come around etc etc).

It obviously took him a while to get over the thought of it though the poor fella...

Nank distant.jpg

It's clear he'd still be hurting even today... But I believe he did make the correct call. The following analysis should really help encapsulate and help provide a measure as to his worth to (at the time) Thirteenthmond in a clear, logical and unbiased manner:

Compare the pair 2.jpg

Resultantly, I believe it’s clear to all and sundry that we gave Richmond their premiership. We pretty much traded the premiership cup to them on a silver platter. There is no other logical reason as to their success other than the big Nank dragged them over the line. For that, they have no one to thank but us. As such, I expect to see a guard of honour for our boys with joyous rapture from the adoring Tiger faithful recognising our sacrificial contribution to bring them their premiership glory this week. It's the least they could do... After all, without us, their premiership wouldn’t have happened. It’s as simple as that. #nanktruth

TO THIS WEEK

Fittingly, this will be the first time in history that our two clubs have faced each other as 1st.v.2nd with both coming out with a strong nothing against the bye and 10-3 records as a result. Both will be keen to prove the bye week was no fluke and keep the party rolling.

It looks like Macca is likely to come back in; Potentially Melican & Reid also (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-06-25/mcveigh-set-to-return). The question then turns to, who for? With the side rolling along nicely the last month or so it would be a shame for whoever misses. In all likelihood I’d be expecting to see young McCartin the first one to lose his spot. From there it’s actually quite difficult to pinpoint which way Horse could go.

The Tiggycats will get some scrub who never performs any good who will somehow come out and tear us up. I'm hoping they pick Eggmolesse-Smith (because why the heck wouldn't you!?). But in all likelihood they'll probably pass over Eggsy and go for some boring bit part player like Astbury or perhaps Prestia or something. I doubt the rightful Norm Smith medalist (Bachar Houli) will be right to go though which is a big missing cog for them.

MATCHUPS

The key matchups I’ll be focusing on this week pick themselves really...

1. Horse .v. Hardwick (Ethihad)

Horse loves Etihad. He loves the length of the grass. He loves the dimensions. He loves the stables... uhh, rooms. Hardwick on the other hand was probably surprised hearing that there was another ground in Melbourne given how often they have to play there. A lot will be made of the fact this isn’t the Tigers “home ground” and to that I say... You are right. The MCG is. That ground you have to play the Grand Final on no matter the positions of the finalists at the end of the year... We all have to suck it up in the biggest game of the year so just cool your jets if you think playing at Etihad is an unfair disadvantage. How the coaches choose their teams and set up will be intriguing.

2. Hewett .v. Dusty/Cotchin

Call him whatever you want, Leyton or Greggy (Blewett Big Blood :p), it doesn't matter. Hewy has been locking down more well known names week after week and getting some of the pill himself. Talking pills, Dusty, one of the games biggest stars, has been copping (& not liking) the tag lately... A match made in heaven you may think? Well Horse may not think that and decide to play him on Cotchin. If this happens then I'm expecting the usual routine of Cotchin being blanketed and not getting all the frees he wants so collecting Hewy high at some point to get him out of the game as is the historical norm for old Crotchy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm backing Hewy in against these blokes to get the job done either way (not discounting the monumental and important battle it will be for him).

3. Buddy .v. Rance

A nice little rivalry seems to have formed between these two over the years. It’s clear that Rance is jealous of Buddy and pouts lots (just in general). However, Buddy better be on his toes as it’s Alex’s favourite time... World Cup is on!! He loves nothing more than watching the professionals go about their business! His heros. His idols. He’s obviously been taking pointers and practicing recently...

Rance-Diving.jpg

Hopefully we can use our talls to separate their defence and get Rance/Astbury.v.Buddy one out. There is almost nothing more beautiful than watching Rance get dominated and lose his s**t... That’s what I’m hoping happens this week. Make it so Swans. Make it so.

4. Sinkers .v. Nank

However... Step over Buddy & Rance. You’re not the real stars we’re here to see this week. Oh no... No way.

The ruck contest will be where the majority of our gaze is directed this week. And really, what more is there to say about these two beautiful specimens of rucking perfection??

Sinkers and Nank.png

Sinkers has been in the form of his life meanwhile the big Nank is still carrying (soon-to-be) Secondmond on his back week after week while their “stars” get all the limelight and praise. This is a clash of the titans. I hope Etihad can contain it... I have grave fears for those not with proper eyewear attending the event. Please stay safe... It’s going to be the key matchup and vital to each team’s success (or not). I hope Sinkers runs him off his feet and can kick a goal or two in the process. If the big boy Nank can get on top it could be a loooooonnnnngggg night.

SOME OTHER POINTS (stolen directly from the AFL preview as I have no shame)

1. The Swans stole the contest when these sides last met in round 13, 2017. The Tigers led by 36 points in the second quarter before conceding nine goals to three in the second half to go down by nine.

2. The Tigers' strong attack is reflected in their stats; they rank second for inside 50s and marks inside 50 in the competition. In comparison, the Swans are 10th and eighth in the same categories.

3. However, the Swans have won the last two clashes between the sides, which ended the Tigers' run of three straight victories between 2014-16. Four of the last five have been decided by three goals or fewer.

4. They're nearly even when it comes to contested possessions this season. The Swans are seventh with an average of 147.7 per game while the Tigers are eighth with 147.3.

5. But, no team has finished games better than the premiers. They've won 10 of 13 final quarters and are +155 in that term. The Swans have also performed well late in games and are +71 for fourth quarters.

PREDICTION

THE MIGHTY SOUTH MELBOURNE BLOODS/SYDNEY SWANS BY 37!!

C’MON YOU BLOODS!!

Last edited:
In the meantime...

Please enjoy!!

For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the last time(?) we played them at Etihad? Swans by 118pts.
2006 AFL Round 7 Richmond Tigers v Sydney Swans (Full Match)

(Thanks magic.merkin :thumbsu:)

Rances diving and his continual holding and scragging of buddy are annoying,
If Astbury is back he might get a bit of time on him too. If they want to use Rance as that spare man/intercept marker. I'd rather see Rance wrestling Bud than doing that honestly.

It wasn't just getting Nank and a bit of Swans culture that fixed them. It was dumping the dead-weight of Vickery and Delidio.

Hardwick seems like a great operator too

THE NANK CUP

RECENT HISTORY

BACKGROUND

If there’s one thing we know it’s that our club loves an underdog. In the big brutely beauty in Nank we had a seemingly solid, quality, beast of a ruckman ready to step up and take the #1 mantle. Unfortunately for him we also had my favourite pie promoter (Tippett) along with a few other schmucks as depth (Sinkers & Naisy) somehow holding him out... We were overstocked and it was clear we should get rid of the quality depth or the young unproven not fully developed depth. So big Nank wouldn’t get the kind of opportunity he craved unless he either moved on or, say for example, something should happen to our other ruckman (like they retire or do a knee or something... for example...).

Clearly the big burly bigman made the sad decision to leave and return back to the “footy heartland” (+ increased media/earning opportunities, cheaper cost of living, less travel, greater family support, increased competition when contract negotiations come around etc etc).

It obviously took him a while to get over the thought of it though the poor fella...

View attachment 517795

It's clear he'd still be hurting even today... But I believe he did make the correct call. The following analysis should really help encapsulate and help provide a measure as to his worth to (at the time) Thirteenthmond in a clear, logical and unbiased manner:

View attachment 517794

Resultantly, I believe it’s clear to all and sundry that we gave Richmond their premiership. We pretty much traded the premiership cup to them on a silver platter. There is no other logical reason as to their success other than the big Nank dragged them over the line. For that, they have no one to thank but us. As such, I expect to see a guard of honour for our boys with joyous rapture from the adoring Tiger faithful recognising our sacrificial contribution to bring them their premiership glory this week. It's the least they could do... After all, without us, their premiership wouldn’t have happened. It’s as simple as that. #nanktruth

TO THIS WEEK

Fittingly, this will be the first time in history that our two clubs have faced each other as 1st.v.2nd with both coming out with a strong nothing against the bye and 10-3 records as a result. Both will be keen to prove the bye week was no fluke and keep the party rolling.

It looks like Macca is likely to come back in; Potentially Melican & Reid also (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-06-25/mcveigh-set-to-return). The question then turns to, who for? With the side rolling along nicely the last month or so it would be a shame for whoever misses. In all likelihood I’d be expecting to see young McCartin the first one to lose his spot. From there it’s actually quite difficult to pinpoint which way Horse could go.

The Tiggycats will get some scrub who never performs any good who will somehow come out and tear us up. I'm hoping they pick Eggmolesse-Smith (because why the heck wouldn't you!?). But in all likelihood they'll probably pass over Eggsy and go for some boring bit part player like Astbury or perhaps Prestia or something. I doubt the rightful Norm Smith medalist (Bachar Houli) will be right to go though which is a big missing cog for them.

MATCHUPS

Horse loves Etihad. He loves the length of the grass. He loves the dimensions. He loves the stables... uhh, rooms. Hardwick on the other hand was probably surprised hearing that there was another ground in Melbourne given how often they have to play there. A lot will be made of the fact this isn’t the Tigers “home ground” and to that I say... You are right. The MCG is. That ground you have to play the Grand Final on no matter the positions of the finalists at the end of the year... We all have to suck it up in the biggest game of the year so just cool your jets if you think playing at Etihad is an unfair disadvantage. How the coaches choose their teams and set up will be intriguing.

Call him whatever you want, Leyton or Greggy (Blewett Big Blood :p), it doesn't matter. Hewy has been locking down more well known names week after week and getting some of the pill himself. Talking pills, Dusty, one of the games biggest stars, has been copping (& not liking) the tag lately... A match made in heaven you may think? Well Horse may not think that and decide to play him on Cotchin. If this happens then I'm expecting the usual routine of Cotchin being blanketed and not getting all the frees he wants so collecting Hewy high at some point to get him out of the game as is the historical norm for old Crotchy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm backing Hewy in against these blokes to get the job done either way (not discounting the monumental and important battle it will be for him).

3. Buddy .v. Rance

A nice little rivalry seems to have formed between these two over the years. It’s clear that Rance is jealous of Buddy and pouts lots (just in general). However, Buddy better be on his toes as it’s Alex’s favourite time... World Cup is on!! He loves nothing more than watching the professionals go about their business! His heros. His idols. He’s obviously been taking pointers and practicing recently...

View attachment 517796

Hopefully we can use our talls to separate their defence and get Rance/Astbury.v.Buddy one out. There is almost nothing more beautiful than watching Rance get dominated and lose his s**t... That’s what I’m hoping happens this week. Make it so Swans. Make it so.

4. Sinkers .v. Nank

However... Step over Buddy & Rance. You’re not the real stars we’re here to see this week. Oh no... No way.

The ruck contest will be where the majority of our gaze is directed this week. And really, what more is there to say about these two beautiful specimens of rucking perfection??

View attachment 517806

Sinkers has been in the form of his life meanwhile the big Nank is still carrying (soon-to-be) Secondmond on his back week after week while their “stars” get all the limelight and praise. This is a clash of the titans. I hope Etihad can contain it... I have grave fears for those not with proper eyewear attending the event. Please stay safe... It’s going to be the key matchup and vital to each team’s success (or not). I hope Sinkers runs him off his feet and can kick a goal or two in the process. If the big boy Nank can get on top it could be a loooooonnnnngggg night.

1. The Swans stole the contest when these sides last met in round 13, 2017. The Tigers led by 36 points in the second quarter before conceding nine goals to three in the second half to go down by nine.

2. The Tigers' strong attack is reflected in their stats; they rank second for inside 50s and marks inside 50 in the competition. In comparison, the Swans are 10th and eighth in the same categories.

3. However, the Swans have won the last two clashes between the sides, which ended the Tigers' run of three straight victories between 2014-16. Four of the last five have been decided by three goals or fewer.

4. They're nearly even when it comes to contested possessions this season. The Swans are seventh with an average of 147.7 per game while the Tigers are eighth with 147.3.

5. But, no team has finished games better than the premiers. They've won 10 of 13 final quarters and are +155 in that term. The Swans have also performed well late in games and are +71 for fourth quarters.

PREDICTION

C’MON YOU BLOODS!!
Thanks for your preview

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE NANK CUP

RECENT HISTORY

BACKGROUND

View attachment 517795

View attachment 517794

TO THIS WEEK

MATCHUPS

3. Buddy .v. Rance

View attachment 517796

4. Sinkers .v. Nank

View attachment 517806

PREDICTION

C’MON YOU BLOODS!!

:thumbsu::tearsofjoy::thumbsu:

Richmond has the most miserly defence in the league on scores from opposition inside 50s...Sydney is 3rd or 4th
Id love to see a big game from ROnke, Florent and paps
Rance will be getting away with his usual from the Umps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back