Status
Not open for further replies.

arsesmart

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cheers.

Unless I'm reading that incorrectly since 2013 teams have actually performed better when travelling east.

It also includes a quote from a bookmaker downplaying it's effect on results.

I find the 5 pm peak athletic performance stuff interesting.

If anyone's lack of sleep is affecting their job performance it needs to be sorted out.
I haven't looked closely at that study, but there's a likely difference in what time you play. Earlier studies I've seen have focused on clockwise vs anti-clockwise travel. The study I've provided is an Australian one and quite rigorous.

It makes intuitive sense... going east your wake up time is earlier, while you likely find it harder to go to sleep at an earlier time (than your body-clock is used to) to get a decent amount of hours. It's also a similar phenomenon to starting daylight saving.

The circadian rhythm (body clock) is quite strong (allowing for individual variances) and doesn't take messaging about with too kindly.

Last edited:

Nothing

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cheers.

Unless I'm reading that incorrectly since 2013 teams have actually performed better when travelling east.

It also includes a quote from a bookmaker downplaying it's effect on results.

I find the 5 pm peak athletic performance stuff interesting.

If anyone's lack of sleep is affecting their job performance it needs to be sorted out.
Good teams can overcome it (Freo did in the good Lyon years) but it is something that has been a factor in sports. It may be less of a factor now than in the past.

wakojako

All Australian
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
When your playing a side with Grundy, Cameron,Cox and Mihocek... probably not the worst thing that could happen.

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good teams can overcome it (Freo did in the good Lyon years) but it is something that has been a factor in sports. It may be less of a factor now than in the past.
The only psychological affect I would worry about hampering their performance on the weekend is that they will need to quarantine back home for 2 weeks. The players hate it and know what they are coming back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad