Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Hawks lose to Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the game, and this is what I am looking for.
It’s not about wins. It’s about the small steps the players make individually or as a group.

Jeka and Kosi being out their together and kicking a couple each is one small step.
In 2004/05 and even 06 one of my mates would have a note pad at the game and pretty much list little 'wins' in the game.

Very pedantic but was amazing when you looked back, the players who regularly featured ended up being very good AFL players .
Some top shelf .

Bateman was a regular for 50m chases , running for shepards and stuff like that.

In 2004/05 and even 06 one of my mates would have a note pad at the game and pretty much list little 'wins' in the game.

Very pedantic but was amazing when you looked back, the players who regularly featured ended up being very good AFL players .
Some top shelf .

Bateman was a regular for 50m chases , running for shepards and stuff like that.
100%.

Just like in 2004, a bunch of our future players are out there, they’re just not much good collectively, but it will change.

We were missing
Gunston
Impey
Day
Sicily
Hardwick
Wingard
Morrison

And had futher injuries to
Scrimshaw early
CJ late

Against a pretty much full strength side. Not sure losing was that much of a surprise.. although I guess the way our midfield got spanked was. Really need Reeves to become something and mids with our first few picks

We were missing
Gunston
Impey
Day
Sicily
Hardwick
Wingard
Morrison

And had futher injuries to
Scrimshaw early
CJ late

Against a pretty much full strength side. Not sure losing was that much of a surprise.. although I guess the way our midfield got spanked was. Really need Reeves to become something and mids with our first few picks
It's too many injuries for a struggling side. Our defense has been gutted and skinned and our forward line weakened significantly.

The positives though have been the rapid improvement and emergences of a lot of guys this year.

The reality is all of our key position players are under 23 and have played well under 50 games. Hopefully Lewis and Reeves put their hand up for selection over the next few weeks.

Lewis 22 (30 games)
Koschitzke 20 (15 games)
Jeka 19 (3 games)
Grainger-Barras 19 (2 games)
Reeves 22 (2 games)

Not sure about Lewis but going forward

Some top shelf .

My daughter still has her autographed picture of Changa on her desk. What a machine he was.

Only watched the first quarter yesterday and by the looks of it I got the best part of the game. Was disappointed to hear Nash played so little time in the middle. Reading through the thread there is disappointment but a young inexperienced side will dish up performances like yesterday. It's all part of the learning curve. The lack of run and ability to play on comes as the confidence is sucked out from turnover after turnover. It snowballs as the game progresses.

But a youthful team will likely be up and about and give Melbourne a good run in Q1 next week. Lets enjoy the rest of the season and dont set our expectations too high.

Injury list.. we were still ordinary when they were all playing.
it’s not the reason we are crap
We played some decent football when they were playing though .
Most teams would struggle a bit without 2-3 key play makers out . By the second half yesterday we had none of our possible best 5.

We dont have the depth of class and too many shallow areas across the field .

If they are in we arent a top 8 side but we arent a dumpster fire either.

First game in years that I didn’t catch the whole game, so looks like a good one to miss. Not even sure I’ll watch the replay.
I don’t see us winning another game for the year. Just too many out now with Sicily, Gunston, Day, Impey, etc and add CJ, Scrim etc.
But not all doom and gloom. Can work to our advantage with giving games early to younger players, Just need a few to come on which will make it easier to clear out dead wood and bring in another crop of draft pics. FFS need Reeves in.
North have a few winnable game coming up to..... #needhorne

I’m one that thinks we should go up the line very time. We can’t execute a switch of play or take a high risk diagonal with any reliability. The team is getting smoked and it’s doing the new guys no good to get their a$$e$ handed to them week in and week out.

The players are indecisive, hesitant and continually caught out of position on a turnover. They play with their heads down in grim acceptance of their fate. The backline was getting shelled like Germans in a muddy Verdun trench and are beat up because of it.

Our number one game goal has to be slowing down the speed of the opposition attack. Spread them wide and create stoppages. So do everything we can to keep the ball out there and away from the centre.

Number two, simple and fast attacks up the line which don’t require high skill or difficult decisions to execute. Beat teams with our young speed and overlap run around the boundary line where mistakes are less dangerous. Work harder, if not more skilfully or elegantly.

THEN, when that play is good and consistent start adding in the flare.

Boring, I know, but where are we headed with this game offered up each week? It’s not going to improve. The players are going to continue to play poorly and we’ll all be staring at our navels come the end of the year.

I completely accept you think that the best scheme to run.
I do not, and think we'll see different stuff being trialed in 18 months time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our game style is horrendous. Have been saying it for 2 years.

it is horrific to watch and I can imagine horrific to play in.
So said everyone on this board in 05/06. Week in week out. We aren’t on the same trajectory as then but nothing can make your game style look good when you’re so low in personnel and talent.

I saw freo players running hard to space with 5-10 minutes to go in the match. Barely saw that level of running from any of our team. Not saying it wasn’t there, but didn’t see it from my view of the ground.

Players with the ball look up to see a lead, rather than looking for space and putting the ball there demanding someone lead to it.

Interestingly there was an entry from Nash into the fwd fifty that watching it unfold was “he’s going to kick this to the pocket” but no one led there and it was a pretty uncontested mark from the freo player.
Now, Nash might have mis-kicked it, but it looked obvious to us that’s where he wanted to put it.

When we transition, our players always seem to have an oppo player right on them. When other team transition, our players are 5 -10 meters behind them.
We can’t be entirely that slow, so there must be some sort of coaching directive that I’m not seeing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw freo players running hard to space with 5-10 minutes to go in the match. Barely saw that level of running from any of our team. Not saying it wasn’t there, but didn’t see it from my view of the ground.

Players with the ball look up to see a lead, rather than looking for space and putting the ball there demanding someone lead to it.

Interestingly there was an entry from Nash into the fwd fifty that watching it unfold was “he’s going to kick this to the pocket” but no one led there and it was a pretty uncontested mark from the freo player.
Now, Nash might have mis-kicked it, but it looked obvious to us that’s where he wanted to put it.

When we transition, our players always seem to have an oppo player right on them. When other team transition, our players are 5 -10 meters behind them.
We can’t be entirely that slow, so there must be some sort of coaching directive that I’m not seeing here?

I watched a 22 year old Worpel chase a 35 year old Mundy a few times. Was embarrassing.

Centre square/ball-ups/throw-ins, regularly watch our ruckman get beat/halved, and all our kids go to get the ball against 1-2 opposition, whilst their rest of the opposition stay out, ball gets over out of scrimmage and we get torched on the spread from there.
Our mids play under 10s footy half the time.
Omeara, just woeful, Worpel, not much better. Mitchell, racks it up, but regularly stat pads and calls for the ball in s**t positions, we stupidly give it to him too.
Shiels, looks just about cooked.

other than running patterns, I’m not sure what Shiels or Omeara give us right now that Finn wouldn’t.

I like the look of the forward line, if we could get it in there with some sort of fluency.

defence is actually very good, but just gets overwhelmed due to our non-existent midfield pressure.

Our game style is horrendous. Have been saying it for 2 years.

it is horrific to watch and I can imagine horrific to play in.
Agree with you Lickmesocks we are damn hard to watch, our absolute refusal to use the middle of the ground and our want to kick down the line makes us so predictable and easy to play against.

The players must hate rocking up each weekend to scratch out 5 to 10 goals a match.

watching live we had opportunities to use the corridor but either didn’t back ourselves or it’s against ream rules 🤷‍♂️

defence is actually very good, but just gets overwhelmed due to our non-existent midfield pressure.

We've won flags being beaten in the midfield (2013 for one), but it just doesn't work when you're as average across the park as we are now.

There has to be a way to stop being outspread like we have been for years now. The number of times you see free opposition mids running through our defensive 50 is crazy.

I witnessed players running off the ground for an interchange quicker than they chased an opponent. Fact

Agree with you Lickmesocks we are damn hard to watch, our absolute refusal to use the middle of the ground and our want to kick down the line makes us so predictable and easy to play against.

The players must hate rocking up each weekend to scratch out 5 to 10 goals a match.

watching live we had opportunities to use the corridor but either didn’t back ourselves or it’s against ream rules 🤷‍♂️

Started in the hub and has continued. I would hate playing that game style week after week. So negative and boring.

What’s the go with CJ? Received a note last night saying more likely an ACL . Has the club confirmed anything as yet?
Club has said it’s likely a PCL.

letters matter. 😳😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back