Autopsy Round 17 Loss v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys.
Slightly off topic.

What were your views on the disposal of menengola when he was there?
He played in our VFL today and I thought he was inconsistent with the way he used it. And I really haven't seen him.

He did get it 48 times though which is a positive.

You have just summarised why he was never given a game by two teams. He has always been able to get the ball though.

Hi guys.
Slightly off topic.

He played in our VFL today and I thought he was inconsistent with the way he used it. And I really haven't seen him.

IIRC the main knock on him here was his disposal
Props to your supporters clapping off Hendo tonight. For a club that's had some bad publicity in the past for crowd behaviour, sure was a pretty classy response for an injured opposition player.
Those past incidents were through a handful of idiots. Nothing more than that.

All the commentary around where I was sitting was about our lack of structure, and I'd have to agree with them. We didn't play with a plan. At times it was just 18 blokes chasing around the footy, which is basically the under 9s comp. Coaching staff have be asked a few questions if it continues.

Thanks guys.
There wasn't a breath of wind today and he kicked a few floaters inside 50.
He was under some pressure. But not afl type pressure so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers again.

Hi guys.
Slightly off topic.

One paced with poor disposal and decision making.

Gets very fit though and has a good tank and with his big frame is good getting it at stoppages, it's after that the problems start.

Yeah I do agree with you. Our efficiency inside 50 is pretty ordinary and has been for a while but other teams struggle just as much in this area so we shouldn't be too harsh and unrealistic in where we are at with it. I've mentioned in a previous analysis that when Apeness and Smith were in the line up we had much better efficiency inside 50. But we don't have another tall forward available atm unfortunately. But when we do, and then add Fyfe and Bennell on top and there are some real scoring threats that could turn those opportunities in to actual scores rather than rebounds against. I was just happy we managed to dominate for that whole period against a quality side.

We have Zac Clarke but aren't playing him. Not going with marking forwards has always been Lyon's thing. He seems to think that all problems can be solved with putting more mids behind the ball. It never works.

I am really not sure why our coaches can't see it when everyone else in the league can. You need 2 talls and a 3rd who switches in the ruck. Literally every team in the AFL Currently and every team in the last 50 years has done this. It's pretty hubristic of Ross Lyon to think that they are all wrong and he's right, particularly in light of the fact that his teams have been some of the lowest scoring teams there are.

In terms of average per game, we're:

14th in marks (16th in marks differential)

7th in contested marks (11th in CM differential)

17th in marks inside forward 50 (15th in MIF50 differential).
Jeepers. I wonder who's 18th for marks inside 50? We don't play any forwards, so I thought we'd be 18th. Pretty hard to mark inside 50 when you play 18 blokes behind the ball.

We have Zac Clarke but aren't playing him. Not going with marking forwards has always been Lyon's thing. He seems to think that all problems can be solved with putting more mids behind the ball. It never works.

I am really not sure why our coaches can't see it when everyone else in the league can. You need 2 talls and a 3rd who switches in the ruck. Literally every team in the AFL Currently and every team in the last 50 years has done this. It's pretty hubristic of Ross Lyon to think that they are all wrong and he's right, particularly in light of the fact that his teams have been some of the lowest scoring teams there are.
Ross wants to play 2 talls and a ruck forward. But they have to give it a go or be faster than treacle. That rules out Clarke and Hannath

Jeepers. I wonder who's 18th for marks inside 50? We don't play any forwards, so I thought we'd be 18th. Pretty hard to mark inside 50 when you play 18 blokes behind the ball.
It was Essendon.

After today's game we're tied for last place.

Yeah fair call. I dunno are you out of form or just undermanned?
10913c7330efc5c56f2476fc5f475b510ebe1cce958e1a06cecdf5431c77ccb2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Sutty's disposal was extremely disappointing. Looked like he was on Dangerfield for most of the match, and managed to get it a few times and then coughed it straight up to the opposition more often than not. Sheridan was the same to a lesser extent.

Umps were better than usual yesterday, I wouldn't have paid that Walters mark either... but when the commentators say things like umpires having a "sense of occasion" (regarding the Dangerfield goal from 4 rows out of bounds) then you'd expect that to apply to both teams. Never does, though, does it.
Ballantyne can't buy a free these days without half-killing himself in the process, it's bloody ridiculous and the club really has to start standing up for itself. Say what you like about the Scott bros, when they point something out people take notice, even if it seen as whinging you'll often find something changes. There's nothing to gain from staying quiet about that particular situation.

Don't know why anyone has anything against Ballantyne or Dawson, Ballantyne was fine and Dawson was great on Hawkins all night. Knee jerks perhaps?

Gu did ok for his first game in a while. Overall I liked the effort but skills were deplorable in patches... same old story.
I'm just waiting for next season while watching the young blokes this year. Next year we get a few older and wiser heads back and it'll be different. We have the makings of a good backline (they caned us on I50's but couldn't score from them any more than we could, and we're still missing Pearce and Johnson), middle looks great with Blakely and Neale (and Fyfe and Sandi), still not completely sold on Weller but it is his first real season. Hill is still there too, played well last night. Walters is simply a star, I'm even thinking the Fyfe forward theory has legs on it with Walters taking the middle (might leave us a tad short though).

That Geelong bloke wasn't far wrong though. We do have some s**t supporters, and they all come out the woodwork when we go through a bad time like this.

Thanks guys.
There wasn't a breath of wind today and he kicked a few floaters inside 50.
He was under some pressure. But not afl type pressure so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers again.

Kicking issues aside I'd love for him to get just 1 game. Been on 3 different lists for no games, pretty unlucky when you see guys like Kane Mitchell running around. I still think he could be a very good run-with player if he just gets given a chance.

Hi guys.
Slightly off topic.

Was the main issue...as well as getting injured

I thought Sutty's disposal was extremely disappointing. Looked like he was on Dangerfield for most of the match, and managed to get it a few times and then coughed it straight up to the opposition more often than not. Sheridan was the same to a lesser extent.

Umps were better than usual yesterday, I wouldn't have paid that Walters mark either... but when the commentators say things like umpires having a "sense of occasion" (regarding the Dangerfield goal from 4 rows out of bounds) then you'd expect that to apply to both teams. Never does, though, does it.
Ballantyne can't buy a free these days without half-killing himself in the process, it's bloody ridiculous and the club really has to start standing up for itself. Say what you like about the Scott bros, when they point something out people take notice, even if it seen as whinging you'll often find something changes. There's nothing to gain from staying quiet about that particular situation.

Don't know why anyone has anything against Ballantyne or Dawson, Ballantyne was fine and Dawson was great on Hawkins all night. Knee jerks perhaps?

Gu did ok for his first game in a while. Overall I liked the effort but skills were deplorable in patches... same old story.
I'm just waiting for next season while watching the young blokes this year. Next year we get a few older and wiser heads back and it'll be different. We have the makings of a good backline (they caned us on I50's but couldn't score from them any more than we could, and we're still missing Pearce and Johnson), middle looks great with Blakely and Neale (and Fyfe and Sandi), still not completely sold on Weller but it is his first real season. Hill is still there too, played well last night. Walters is simply a star, I'm even thinking the Fyfe forward theory has legs on it with Walters taking the middle (might leave us a tad short though).

That Geelong bloke wasn't far wrong though. We do have some s**t supporters, and they all come out the woodwork when we go through a bad time like this.

Sutty picked up Danger when he went forward in the first half which wasn't very often. Spurr had him in the second half.

Re his disposal, you're exaggerating. He muffed the kick to Mz but other than that his disposal was good. Shero muffed a couple from memory. Most players had 1 or 2 and do in most games.

He and Shero will never be elite. They're both stock standard, B graders or average AFL players that make up 80% of the comp. Some supporters expect too much. They want every player in their team to be elite, A graders or champions (the 20%)

One paced with poor disposal and decision making.

Gets very fit though and has a good tank and with his big frame is good getting it at stoppages, it's after that the problems start.
Not when he played for Subiaco. His pace is better than advertised and was exceptional kicking long for Subi in season 2015. Really hope he makes it.

Sutty picked up Danger when he went forward in the first half which wasn't very often. Spurr had him in the second half.

Re his disposal, you're exaggerating. He muffed the kick to Mz but other than that his disposal was good. Shero muffed a couple from memory. Most players had 1 or 2 and do in most games.

He and Shero will never be elite. They're both stock standard, B graders or average AFL players that make up 80% of the comp. Some supporters expect too much. They want every player in their team to be elite, A graders or champions (the 20%)

Why cant we try out hughes ,mora and tucker in sutty and sherro role . Obviously this season both perform in range of b- to c grade rather than a b like you said .

I assumed Pumpernickel had to be referring the one incident?
Vast majority of the Freo crowd are knowledgeable and generous.
The rest are tainted souls:rolleyes:o_O

Was attempting to be complimentary to your club for a generous applause for one of my clubs injured players.
Your club was made an example by the football media for your fans behaviour on more than one occasion late last year. Every club has those supporters and Geeling are certainly not exempt from this.

Was attempting to be complimentary to your club for a generous applause for one of my clubs injured players.

I 'liked' your comment because I saw it was complimentary and I assumed you were referring one fan's behaviour.
As I suggested, our Domain fan base is tainted by virtue of the waiting list for Eagles membership.There's a percentage of scumsuckers in the Subi crowd who're more than happy to smear the public image of Dockers fans.:thumbsu:

I 'liked' your comment because I saw it was complimentary and I assumed you were referring one fan's behaviour.
As I suggested, our Domain fan base is tainted by virtue of the waiting list for Eagles membership.There's a percentage of scumsuckers in the Subi crowd who're more than happy to smear the public image of Dockers fans.:thumbsu:

All good I'd love to get over there for a cats game, definitely put it on my bucket list to experience some warm W.A hospitality.

One of our better performances this year was against Port. We used a six man forward line in that game .
I am totally amazed that Ross Lyon persists with a five man forward line.
I have made this observation before that such a forward structure is playing into the opposition's hands particularly when one of the five forwards is Chris Mayne who has seemed to have a pre-occupation with defence.
That effectively means we have only four forwards.

Although the result was disappointing, I thought we were good last night.
Why wouldn't our new assistants from a hugely successful club tell Ross that we shouldn't go into games with one hand tied behind our backs.

Connor Blakely was terrific and Weller is starting to really shine now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back