Autopsy Round 17 Loss v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The game Hill played last night was next level. Top 20 player in the comp level. Aside from Danger he was the best player on the ground. If he can become a 30 possession inside midfielder he'll be AA.
we need him to play at that level and have Fyfe, Bennell & Neale all firing at the same time and we will worry most opposition!

But but but we got no forward line.
I don't actually concur with that - I think it's verging on being myth.
The problem, as I see it, is twofold.

One, Injuries. Apeness and Bennell being in the side would certainly help there, and I prefer Walters down forward as well. Ballantyne, Walters, Taberner, Bennell and possibly (next season) Sandi and Fyfe resting forward is more potent than most seem to give us credit for. Add the possibility of McCarthy into that mix, and suddenly it doesn't look terrible at all. I'd also like to see Pavlich give us one more season as a traditional full forward in the Hawkins mould, but I realise that isn't likely.

Two, use of forwards. Saw it too many times last night, Pavlich going all the way to half back is not beneficial at all. I counted four times Pav was way too far down in the second term alone, and when we rebound, we have nowhere to go. He's not fast enough anymore to get back in time.
Should be Walters to Pavlich in attack, not Pavlich to Walters. Count how many times that happened.

I'd also like to see Hill take his chances more often. I think he has a confidence problem in front of goals, and prefers to dish it off. This isn't only limited to Hill, but he's got the accuracy to be able to convert more times than he backs himself to do. RTB needs to tell him to take the shot.

While on that subject, I also think (also perhaps controversially) that D Pearce's problem is very similar. When he coughs it up, it's often because he's trying to be too cute - those little sideways chips, the sneaky handballs etc. I'd rather see him go for home from 50 on the run. Don't care if he only hits it one time in two, it's better than coughing it up. I don't remember watching him at Port years ago, but it seems to me he was far more willing to have a go than cough it up on a cute pass.

Last edited:
While on that subject, I also think (also perhaps controversially) that D Pearce's problem is very similar. When he coughs it up, it's often because he's trying to be too cute - those little sideways chips, the sneaky handballs etc. I'd rather see him go for home from 50 on the run. Don't care if he only hits it one time in two, it's better than coughing it up. I don't remember watching him at Port years ago, but it seems to me he was far more willing to have a go than cough it up on a cute pass.

It's not just D Pearce, I count 3 times last night where we could have had a shot but elected to pass and as a result a goal went missing. At one point Suban was alone inside 50m and went for a 15m pass to Pavlich which missed. He could have easily gone for goal but elected not to. Hill has done the same thing about a dozen times this year. It's an epidemic for us.

My 2c - Taberner and Pav are being forced to push up to the half back line, because we genuinely have no one else in the team who can take a contested grab, or even halve a contest.

Half our problem with the D50 rebound is that Sandi and Fyfe are missing, and on our old game style - this has us stuffed.

I gather the changes preseason were about spreading the opposition defence when we had it, engineering one on ones around the ground, rather than kicking to packs (see Hawthorn). Part of this is preparing for life post-211, which is sensible.

Unfortunately our foot skills aint up to it, everyone knows it. The problem will remain until we weed out the poor kicks.

Making do with the cattle available. not bad considering Geelong was near full strength.

Having guys like Fyfe, Sandi, Bennell, A.Pearce et al over spuds like Dawson, Mzungu, Sutcliffe etc. could have been the difference.
Poor entry into the forward line with high kicks for Geelong talls to mark with ease.Why Clarke did not play is poor coaching.Tommy Sheridan makes too many mistakes that cost 4 goals.Our forward line of 5 against 6 does not work.Mayne being their makes it 4 against 6 anyway.Once Pav goes it will be a better goal kicking forward line.Harsh you say but our forwards dance around Pav because they are intimidated by him.The champ has to leave for Fremantle to go ahead.Big Changes next year.Clarke Tendai,Clancy SOS,Griff,Danyle Pearce,Mayne and unfortunately Mora.Tough decisions to make

Well the potential loss of Ballas and Barlow for the rest of the year has pretty well finally knocked off any of my last enthusiasm for our remaining games.

After this week we play all top 8 teams with half a side, we can't even put up a decent side for Pav's 350th which will, despite the crowds best cheering, probably be a ten+ goal flogging against the swans. That is just sad.

I need something to look forward to and the only thing I can think of now is the successful return of Mora. Seriously Ross give us a look and let's see if he can play out of the backline before you make a decision on his future.

Agree re Mora - he's like the plot twist of our season. I hope it's a good surprise but the way things are shaping, I'll pretty much take any surprise ( like him just getting a game)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree re Mora - he's like the plot twist of our season. I hope it's a good surprise but the way things are shaping, I'll pretty much take any surprise ( like him just getting a game)

It is not like Mora couldn't fill in for what Sutcliffe is currently doing in the backline. Who knows perhaps Sutcliffe might do ok on a wing and get out of his slump.

It is not like Mora couldn't fill in for what Sutcliffe is currently doing in the backline. Who knows perhaps Sutcliffe might do ok on a wing and get out of his slump.
Sutty need to reassess how he play, as for mora i dont see any harm to rush him back vs gold coast if we consider delisted him . I dont think last season menzel play well with cats either.

X1mil. Tanner was deemed cannon fodder by most here and surprised a lot of people with his hunger and desire in the forward line.

Mora would've got a chance but for his constant minor injury setbacks. I do feel like he's going to have to pull off a decent full gamer (20+ disposals) before he gets the nod.

I really hope we don't go safe with De Pig/Fish Pub this week and pull a rabbit with Yarran or Mora.

Sutty need to reassess how he play, as for mora i dont see any harm to rush him back vs gold coast if we consider delisted him . I dont think last season menzel play well with cats either.

Sutcliffe's actual 1 on 1 work with Dangerfield wasn't awful (even with Dangers impact on the game) but his kicking out of defence has reached heights of peak nausea.

There's a lot of players nearly as bad but not to the level of Sutcliffe. For Gods sake reassess his role completely - or have him go back, sideways or handball it. Do not allow him to kick more than 20 metres out of defence.

Sutcliffe's actual 1 on 1 work with Dangerfield wasn't awful (even with Dangers impact on the game) but his kicking out of defence has reached heights of peak nausea.

There's a lot of players nearly as bad but not to the level of Sutcliffe. For Gods sake reassess his role completely - or have him go back, sideways or handball it. Do not allow him to kick more than 20 metres out of defence.
Agree, i would had though drop back wafl will gain him confident in kicking in the end just for one or two game.

I was his first ever buddy (along with Grape Bear who is sorely missing atm) and have defended him probably more than anyone on this site but no more. It actually hurts to say it but he's a total liability now, I have always been able to excuse some of his defensive efforts because I have never considered him a natural defender and thought he did an admirable job- but the kicking and decision making, bloody hell. As someone else alluded to there is poor chemistry amongst our defensive 6 atm and IMO he's one of the biggest culprits, no longer seems to be on the same page as his team mates.

On the game itself- I was not unhappy with it. Good effort and one poor quarter costs us against an infinitely more talented side. Geelong aren't a contender, that much is now clear, and I'm confident we'll overtake them again before long. Today is a good day for putting things into perspective with the Nice attacks, I just can't muster any outrage or negativity. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better young midfield duo than Blakely and Weller and that's the main thing I came away with.

And Dawson was good but **** arguing with the haters, a futile exercise indeed.

Hi! I'm still around, just haven't had much time to post because real life has been crazy and because football, once a source of so much joy, is currently... not. Thankfully (after our 6th straight loss) not everyone is still melting, but discussion of the future (and a clear out) make me a bit sad. I know there is no sentiment in the football industry, but the idea of losing the stalwarts of our last hard push - Pav, maybe Barlow, maybe Mayne, likely Mzungu - is pretty sad. There's lots to like in the team coming through, and I will probably get over it all, but given that the season is dead and we're looking with an eye to the future, there's time to wallow.

I saw the first half of the Geelong game, and I was proud of the effort, and I think that had we been a little cleaner, we could have put the game away even with our seconds team. Barlow stays in, I think we win. I switched off when they headed us (can't afford a new tv right now). It seems like we're still doing more of the same - great effort getting the ball into our end then flubbing the last two kicks and not capitalizing.

As for Sutty... not really sure what's happened to him. He was pretty good in 2014, and his kicks used to be long and accurate, but something has changed since then and he's a shadow of what he used to be. That's sad, as there seemed to be so much potential there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back