Game Day Round 18, 2023 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Aker said, let's use the corridor then the width doesn't matter. We've got the talent, we know the game plan, f* the ground. Time to put more distance on 4th spot and position ourselves for that top 2 finish.

Most people don't care about betting and fair enough but we've come in a few points in the market since the teams come out, and there's a fair bit of smart money on us.

Is this Jaspers first game at the G.
Jasper on the much wider ground , only two metres but maybe the perception is wider so possibly an optical illusion( just a theory)
Still he looks good in space when he has room, covers ground well and can change direction into space and usually uses the footy well, and can win his own ball. He is usually on the fat side of the ground as well, so in prime position to use his assets.

We seem to struggle with turnovers if the opposition puts more pressure on the ball than us, I don't really know how good Melbourne are in this area, but I think that is our only chance to win, bring the heat.
If we cover the ground defensively to a high level then I believe the attack will thrive as we just seem to take that movement into attack when we have the ball.
I think it's as simple as bodys in motion to the right places , instead of being a little slow and stagnat with our ball movement.

If we are fair dinkum we win this game. We are not a young team anymore and with a fair bit on the line in terms of final ladder position, hopefully we put in a solid, mature performance to reflect that.

We have to remember we are up against a team who are missing their best midfielder and most dangerous avenue to goal, who last week struggled to put away a pretty average Saints team with only 1 fit player on the bench.

No real excuses for the team tonight and if we lose, hopefully Fages doesn't trot any out.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much to the hoodoo. The larger ground definitely doesn't suit us and we have never been willing to or able to execute a different gameplan to suit the ground but we're at least a 5 goal better side at home.

And there's something to having played a disproportionate amount of good teams at the MCG

Marvel is the only away ground where we have a decent record and I think that's just because we tend to play weaker Vic teams there and it's probably a ground which suits the gameplan we've developed to execute at the gabba

None of this gives me any confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's much to the hoodoo. The larger ground definitely doesn't suit us and we have never been willing to or able to execute a different gameplan to suit the ground but we're at least a 5 goal better side at home.

And there's something to having played a disproportionate amount of good teams at the MCG

Marvel is the only away ground where we have a decent record and I think that's just because we tend to play weaker Vic teams there and it's probably a ground which suits the gameplan we've developed to execute at the gabba

None of this gives me any confidence

There is no “Larger Ground” factor, the only people pushing that are hack journos and talking heads. The Gabba and the MCG are essentially the same dimensions, an extra metre in width is not a tangible difference.

You’d think the Gabba is built like Kardinia Park the way people bang on about it

Is this Jaspers first game at the G.
Jasper on the much wider ground , only two metres but maybe the perception is wider so possibly an optical illusion( just a theory)
Still he looks good in space when he has room, covers ground well and can change direction into space and usually uses the footy well, and can win his own ball. He is usually on the fat side of the ground as well, so in prime position to use his assets.

We seem to struggle with turnovers if the opposition puts more pressure on the ball than us, I don't really know how good Melbourne are in this area, but I think that is our only chance to win, bring the heat.
If we cover the ground defensively to a high level then I believe the attack will thrive as we just seem to take that movement into attack when we have the ball.
I think it's as simple as bodys in motion to the right places , instead of being a little slow and stagnat with our ball movement.

I like Fletcher addition, even thought it's at the expense of Deven. Fletcher looks like a clever player, covers ground well and scraps for the footy when it's his turn to go. He'll be a good matchup against Langdon or Hunter.

There is no “Larger Ground” factor, the only people pushing that are hack journos and talking heads. The Gabba and the MCG are essentially the same dimensions, an extra metre in width is not a tangible difference.

You’d think the Gabba is built like Kardinia Park the way people bang on about it

6m longer according to whiting. Not a huge amount but we can't really afford any increase in size

Fagan also said after the Eagles game we had to select a team to suit the ground

When you get to play at the MCG the size of the ground , the gladiatorial atmosophere , the way the wind often swirls and the way the ball bounces are all things you need to adapt to .

There's a significant difference for us playing at the Gabba to the MCG. I would've thought that that was self evident. Also the teams we play at that ground have generally had a lot of success there which boosts their confidence.

It's not that we wouldn't be able to play well but until we get more strong wins there it's a mental and physical hindrance that we need to overcome.

6m longer according to whiting. Not a huge amount but we can't really afford any increase in size

Fagan also said after the Eagles game we had to select a team to suit the ground
Interestingly most.on this forum would argue that we haven't selected a good team to suit this ground. With questionable defensive runners like Gunston and Lyons in the team.

Still, there is no doubt that these guys at their best are a step up from the younger guys coming through at the moment. Time will tell if that comes to fruition or not.

Interestingly most.on this forum would argue that we haven't selected a good team to suit this ground. With questionable defensive runners like Gunston and Lyons in the team.

Still, there is no doubt that these guys at their best are a step up from the younger guys coming through at the moment. Time will tell if that comes to fruition or not.

Was having a look at Lyons stats by ground and its significantly worst at the MCG for whatever reason

Zorko is the older guy I would have considered dropping

Happy to see Fletcher stay in the team, he should be fantastic for the MCG with his running ability. Shame we don't have Dunkley but this side is about as good as it is going to be heading into finals, so we need to see what they've got there. A massive game for Gunston. If he can back up last week, he will be an asset, if not, we are back at square one.

I like Fletcher addition, even thought it's at the expense of Deven. Fletcher looks like a clever player, covers ground well and scraps for the footy when it's his turn to go. He'll be a good matchup against Langdon or Hunter.
IMO Jaspa is going to be a terrific winger and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes tonight, not sure if he will have the endurance to go with their wingers though, particularly Langdon.

We need to set a marker down for September tonight, HUGE game.

Happy to see Fletcher stay in the team, he should be fantastic for the MCG with his running ability. Shame we don't have Dunkley but this side is about as good as it is going to be heading into finals, so we need to see what they've got there. A massive game for Gunston. If he can back up last week, he will be an asset, if not, we are back at square one.
Very close to our best side, for me it would be from tonight's side >

Outs- Jarryd Lyons, Jaspa Fletcher.... Jack Gunston(if his defensive game doesn't stack up against Dees/Cats)

Ins- Josh Dunkley, Callum Ah Chee, Dev Robertson.

Would explain why we beat Melbourne there then because our contingent is just as big as theirs
It’s not how big it is, it’s what you do with it.

How are we going to use the extra space? Are we going to attempt to execute more run and carry, especially through the midfield?

I think we showed exactly how you play the MCG in the Semi Final last year. I actually think we are going to win handsomely. Watch Ryan Lester and McKenna tonight. I am really expecting them to set us up transitioning out of defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back