Preview Round 18 Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for a little perspective, would you mind popping next to them what draft pick they were
For me once a player gets to a club any club the draft pick has no stake in how good they are. Mussing over what pick a player was taken is just fodder for the media and BF argument. You won't hear punky ( rookie ) say to Watts (#1) here you were number one so therefore you are better than me.
Drafting order has nothing to do with how hard you work once you make it to clubland.

For me once a player gets to a club any club the draft pick has no stake in how good they are. Mussing over what pick a player was taken is just fodder for the media and BF argument. You won't hear punky ( rookie ) say to Watts (#1) here you were number one so therefore you are better than me.
Drafting order has nothing to do with how hard you work once you make it to clubland.

Well Carlton and Gold Coast are proof of that but it does help the team if you do happen to snare a couple of picks that bring instant relief ie. Cripps and curnow

Well Carlton and Gold Coast are proof of that but it does help the team if you do happen to snare a couple of picks that bring instant relief ie. Cripps and curnow
Funny thing about both of them is they had a knock on them at draft time, Cripps was lack of speed and Curnow was behavior.
All I was saying is that even most number one picks are still works in progress.

Yes we are where most expected us to be but no we could have done a lot more in getting consistent games into young players. We have played the 2 most experienced 22 through 16 rounds this season and have continuously opted for the likes of Pop, Doc & Hendo over younger players that could have got some exposure and probably not made our W/ L record any worse. Even if it did make our W/ L record worse who cares ? Higher draft pick + Exposure to more kids, not like we are playing finals anyways.
Poppy and Henderson are only 30 years old and could well be part of a push for the flag in 2020. Doc is in his prime, so the club don't see him as a player who needs to be replaced.

You're kidding yourself if you think we could've played Mitch Lewis, James Worpel and Connor Glass all year and have the same ladder position.

Poppy and Henderson are only 30 years old and could well be part of a push for the flag in 2020. Doc is in his prime, so the club don't see him as a player who needs to be replaced.

You're kidding yourself if you think we could've played Mitch Lewis, James Worpel and Connor Glass all year and have the same ladder position.

Couldn't care less if it put us 4 spots lower, at least we'd be getting a top 5 pick then. I will tell you this for nothing also, Doc and Poppy won't play another final at Hawthorn & Henderson will never play a final at us.

Couldn't care less if it put us 4 spots lower, at least we'd be getting a top 5 pick then. I will tell you this for nothing also, Doc and Poppy won't play another final at Hawthorn & Henderson will never play a final at us.
Finishing 8th is the best outcome. Getting a draft pick at 6 or lower would also be very handy. Finishing 9th... s#it in every way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big call on those lads and finals. Could quite posibly happen in 6 weeks

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do people promote this logic? We know that it doesn't work. Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane are the only teams who have gone with youth policies on the basis that losing and picking up draft picks is an added bonus, and they've played 2 finals between them in the last decade. Like every supporter I get frustrated and impatient with young players when I see potential, but I trust our club's judgement.

Plus I think you're being totally hysterical about Doc, Poppy and Henderson. They all have a decent chance of playing finals with us this year. Win against Carlton and we'll likely sit in 8th spot.

Good on Fages for getting the lions to take the game on and play with confidence. Always good to see up and coming sides just have a go, it’s great for the game on general.(wrong thread .. sorry )

I like the optimism but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I’m not even confident on today’s game let alone Scum, Cats and Swans among others, still to come. We really need to win all remaining games to be certain finalists.

Ain’t gonna happen.

Years ago I would agree, however this season has so many twists and turns. Anything can happen week to week.

If Melbourne go on with it in the fourth quarter, we are in the 8 on percentage which is ridiculous, even before playing Carlton.

There is so much inconsistency this season. (See swans also)

KOLOKOTRONIS

Why do people promote this logic? We know that it doesn't work. Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane are the only teams who have gone with youth policies on the basis that losing and picking up draft picks is an added bonus, and they've played 2 finals between them in the last decade. Like every supporter I get frustrated and impatient with young players when I see potential, but I trust our club's judgement.

Plus I think you're being totally hysterical about Doc, Poppy and Henderson. They all have a decent chance of playing finals with us this year. Win against Carlton and we'll likely sit in 8th spot.

What I know is key parts of our flag dynasty were top 5 picks eg Hodge, Roughead & Franklin, so at some point in time cashing in on the draft helps.

What I know is key parts of our flag dynasty were top 5 picks eg Hodge, Roughead & Franklin, so at some point in time cashing in on the draft helps.

Going to have to slide a bit further down the ladder to get those sort of pucks - maybe next year unless they really go balls up for the rest of this season

Mitchell and O’Meara are top 5 pick talents. Burton was tipped to be a top 5 pick if he didn’t get injured. You can get these types of players without bottoming out.

Mitchell and O’Meara are top 5 pick talents. Burton was tipped to be a top 5 pick if he didn’t get injured. You can get these types of players without bottoming out.

We shall see, I think this list regeneration will have us midtable for the next several years, but hopefully I'm wrong.

We shall see, I think this list regeneration will have us midtable for the next several years, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I’ll take midtable over sliding into the abyss for 15 years like Brisbane have. Honestly this board would be like a Mad Max film if we went through multiple 3-5 win seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back