Preview Round 18 Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a disaster of a year.

Basically lost Rioli, Birchall, Frawley (seems finished anyway), Poppy (seems done :( ... Langford who i’d hoped would return to his old self, Toby who I thought was going to be a star, Roughy looks like it’s nearing the end ...

And gained nothing bar Sicily, Howe and Morrison...

Just wow.
Only one of those players has retired. Keep it together, youngsters are developing. Morrison and Worpel 19, Hardwick and Burton 20/21. Nash, Glass, JOR and Lewis all set for a go in the firsts. Might make the 8, obviously cant win the flag but we'll improve on last year and that's all I expected.

Basically lost Rioli, Birchall, Frawley (seems finished anyway), Poppy (seems done :( ... Langford who i’d hoped would return to his old self, Toby who I thought was going to be a star, Roughy looks like it’s nearing the end ...

Just wow.
A distaster of a year ? We are where most supporters would have expected us to be .
We’ve got some consistent games into young players , been pretty competitive bar a few blips on the radar and as expected some older players will make way.

A disaster is announcing we are in the mix for top 4 or winning a flag then winning 4-5 games

Apologise realised that was not quite correct he gave him the 5th best player on the ground. Which means out of 44 players on the field the opposition coach thought 39 were poo (in old school terms) and he wasn't. Yes he got dropped by Clarko. My surprise is Clarko. Given the news tonight he's allegedly about to jettison Rough too. Strange days indeed. For a guy who let's be honest doesn't have to save his job, he's acting like Ross Lyon at the moment. Or is he feeling the pressure of Hodgey dancing on him last week after he obviously selected a team to lose first up to keep Fagan in a job?

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar Mama. (Obvious song reference for the ppl who are probably far younger than me these days.)

When it's not always raining there'll be days like this
When there's no one complaining there'll be days like this
When everything falls into place like the flick of a switch
Well, my mama told me, "There'll be days like this"

A distaster of a year ? We are where most supporters would have expected us to be .
We’ve got some consistent games into young players , been pretty competitive bar a few blips on the radar and as expected some older players will make way.

A disaster is announcing we are in the mix for top 4 or winning a flag then winning 4-5 games

Yes we are where most expected us to be but no we could have done a lot more in getting consistent games into young players. We have played the 2 most experienced 22 through 16 rounds this season and have continuously opted for the likes of Pop, Doc & Hendo over younger players that could have got some exposure and probably not made our W/ L record any worse. Even if it did make our W/ L record worse who cares ? Higher draft pick + Exposure to more kids, not like we are playing finals anyways.

Yes we are where most expected us to be but no we could have done a lot more in getting consistent games into young players. We have played the 2 most experienced 22 through 16 rounds this season and have continuously opted for the likes of Pop, Doc & Hendo over younger players that could have got some exposure and probably not made our W/ L record any worse. Even if it did make our W/ L record worse who cares ? Higher draft pick + Exposure to more kids, not like we are playing finals anyways.

This is exactly my position.

I think that a couple of good quarters of football have glossed over what actually needed to happen while in rebuilding mode. It’s still building on the run & I would have much rather loose a couple of more games with excitement & anticipation for the future; god forbid the kids actually performed better!

There will be those that will point to playing the kids against Brisbane... and.... who cares! they were proven wrong in Tassie.

6 to go...

#playthekids

Not me.

I really thought we’d uncover at least 3-4 new up and coming stars, Toby would become a beast (he looked like he was going to be a star last year) and Frawley, Birch, Poppy and Rioli would come back and lead the next generation ...

You can’t just play all kids though, we’ve seen what that’s done to some other clubs . It can potential wreck them or more to the point will.

This season I think the balance is about right for where the list is at

Happy to agree to disagree :)

Just wow.

It's all perception.

JOM - elite.

TOM - Brownlow.

Bruest, Sicily, Smith, Mitchell all possible AA selections.

Gunston outstanding.

Ceglar back playing.

JOR on the park.

It's all perception.

JOM - elite.

TOM - Brownlow.

Bruest, Sicily, Smith, Mitchell all possible AA selections.

Gunston outstanding.

Ceglar back playing.

JOR on the park.

Another year goes by without a kid announcing himself as a GENUINE up and comer who has unequivocal potential to be elite. That's the biggest problem.
I'm continually uninspired by and second guessing the next gen.

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess
Morrison - looks smart but uninspiring
Howe - looks like a role player at best long term.
Pittonet - dwindling away in 2s surprised if he makes it
Miles - I think has a lot to work with but looking more unlikely than likely at this stage
O'Rourke - likely to be cut
Worpel - like what I've seen so far but no guarantees at this stage
Burton - has gone backwards and looks uninvested.. Fear he may want out
Lewis - looks likely but big guys are always a 50/50

That list is pretty dire and when you consider we only really have Sicily, Hardwick, Mitch & JOM as locks for next gen that's alarm bells ringing right there.

Another year goes by without a kid announcing himself as a GENUINE up and comer who has unequivocal potential to be elite. That's the biggest problem.

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess
Miles - I think has a lot to work with but looking more unlikely than likely at this stage

That list is pretty dire and when you consider we only really have Sicily, Hardwick, Mitch & JOM as locks for next gen that's alarm bells ringing right there.
Might just be me, but I find Morrison far from uninspiring. One of my new favourite players. He’s just a kid who hasn’t even played a whole season yet. Looks to me that he gives 100% and enjoys playing for the jumper.

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess

Just for a little perspective, would you mind popping next to them what draft pick they were

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitecross is not a bad player. He has his limitations but when it's his turn to go he'll go and put his body on the line. I think Howe will tag Cripps most likely.

Howe on Cripps would be a fantastic match up.

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess

We’ve got 4 possible starting 18 AA players. That’s just under a quarter of the side. Perspective.

Not me.

I really thought we’d uncover at least 3-4 new up and coming stars, Toby would become a beast (he looked like he was going to be a star last year) and Frawley, Birch, Poppy and Rioli would come back and lead the next generation ...
So you thought we would uncover the next Franklin , Roughead , Hodge all this season ?

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess

Wow, love the tunnel vision. If there not at AA at 20 years old there no good. Just curious, how many times have you seen the boys you listed above play?
These kids will do a hawthorn apprenticeship and not get thrown to the wolves like many other clubs would do.

Those happy about the selections. What are you happy about?

They are all we have left.

Haha dude, it's more about who's NOT playing rather than WHO is playing... That's the stuff we are rejoicing these days :drunk::drunk:

Wow, love the tunnel vision. If there not at AA at 20 years old there no good. Just curious, how many times have you seen the boys you listed above play?
These kids will do a hawthorn apprenticeship and not get thrown to the wolves like many other clubs would do.

So now I said get rid of them because they're not current AA quality at 20 years of age did I?
I've seen more than enough to have an opinion - I get to a few Box Hill games.

Out of the list I provided, who do you think will play a big part in our next tilt? Or if that's too hard to answer, who has the potential to play a big part in our next tilt?

Lovell - looks unlikely
Brand - unlikely
TOB - looks gone
Glass - anyone's guess
Nash - anyone guess

Price of success and no high draft picks get a grip

You can’t just play all kids though, we’ve seen what that’s done to some other clubs . It can potential wreck them or more to the point will.

This season I think the balance is about right for where the list is at

Happy to agree to disagree :)

Agree you can't, but we would still have plenty of experience with big boy, Smith, Stratton, Frawley, Roughead, Bruest & Gunston.

Can't understand why, but it appears to me that JOR is more popular than Mitch and JOM on here!
I maybe able to answer that for you Thaihawk. It seems there are elements in this board that put far greater stock on draft pick numbers rather than bodies of work. As far as they are concerned JOR is a latent star on the basis of his draft selection at pick no.2. And at any moment he will unleash a string of performances that will leave us all breathless. Despite not having shown anything of the sort to date. However, had he originally been selected in the 50s or 60s, where his value actually lies in output, no-one would be calling for him to be getting more game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back