Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with that except you forgot 2 say ceglar is a terrible ruckman. Which is also his job.

He was good around the ground 2day. Best game in a while on that front but he may well b the only ruckman in rucking history who hits the opposition on the chest twice as often as his team mates. Tbh that would be a great stat.

At one center bounce today he actually jumped so early he landed b4 the ball had even come down. Pretty sure Richmond scored too. Walked the ball out of the middle.

This is probably the best and most honest post I have read. Forget that Ceglar takes a few marks around the ground occasionally. He needs to compete in the middle first and foremost and unfortunately what we have witnessed last season and this season opposition rucks are taking the pi55 and giving there side first crack whenever he is in the middle. He is trying to ruck like Monkhorst did when he was 30 by staying on the ground and trying to finesse when other rucks are jumping aggressively into him and knocking it to advantage. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Richmond put us away in the first quarter, then sat back and did enough to run out comfortable winners, and people are happy we stayed with them for most of the game? 🤦‍♂️
If you can’t look at the positives when your team is developing then then it is going to be a long year for you 🤷‍♂️

Richmond put us away in the first quarter, then sat back and did enough to run out comfortable winners, and people are happy we stayed with them for most of the game? 🤦‍♂️

100% spot on. The Tigers came to play and smashed us in intensity and effort early in the game when the heat was on and then pretty much switched off and did what they needed whenever they felt like it throughout the rest of the game to keep the lead.

Today really showed me how far we are off the top sides. 29 points was flattering.

100% spot on. The Tigers came to play and smashed us in intensity and effort early in the game when the heat was on and then pretty much switched off and did what they needed whenever they felt like it throughout the rest of the game to keep the lead.

Today really showed me how far we are off the top sides. 29 points was flattering.
How much did you think our rebuilding side would win / lose by?

Felt like I was in a time warp. We did this to Richmond for decades.

Tell Him it was Dustin Martin ;)

Good game today guys the Hawks showed fight and willingness to work and run which is a great sign.

TOB really needs to be moved on and another kid given a chance, Think the Hawks have seen enough of him and its not that great

Cheers guys see you later in the year

He only turned 27 today TOB, the break out moment is coming anytime now.

Just a note on the crowd. Thought it was pretty disappointing to get just north of 40k, after a year off, perfect afternoon and against a local tenant and reigning premiers at that. Club would have been pretty let down by that I imagine.

Palm Sunday along with the annoying fact of having to get tickets to the game despite having memberships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I settled back home had some dinner and gathered my thoughts about our game against Richmond.

That first quarter was a bit of shell shock to the boys they hadn't face that sort of pressure in quite a while. There were fumbles and missed handballs and kicks every where. We just didn't handle it well. At this stage i cast my mind back to the Essendon game. Richmond hadn't put us to the sword as yet. I wanted a response in that second qtr and i got it. We were determined to show we could play we didn't take a backward step and for all the mistakes we were still making our resolve to win the ball and the contest never waivered. A year ago we wouldn't have fought back like we did. The first real tick in my book for our improvement this year.

The second qtr was filled with inspirational plays some from the young up and comers in Kosi, CJ and Brockman and others by a player who always gets the raw end of the stick upon his selection. Howe was a real inspiration. He was the guy setting the example for everyone else to follow. He kept putting his body and effort into every contest. He showed the way for our young team. He deserves a special mention for our performance in the second.

The third qtr was a real arm wrestle. A lot of ppl around me insistent that Richmond would break us once they kicked that all important first goal. But they didn't we got the first. We were defending well and they were finding it just as hard to score. Our structures were well setup and we looked to be steadying and in fact i thought we had the upper hand for the first time in the match alas the injury to Day put a sour taste in my mouth to end the qtr. He would be a big loss.

Day is pretty quick he was able to defend well filling gaps and not allowing the Richmond smalls to get behind our defence. He had built a wall with impey hardwick and frost. The net now had a hole in it. Scrimshaw came on and although he played quite well with ball in hand. He didn't defend as well as Day did. We also had some characteristic skill errors from our young group and the tigers capitalised. It was a hard fought game and we never gave up we kept trying to play the hawthorn way. We believe in our system our structure and our game plan we just were not able to execute it well enough and for long enough against better opposition.

You can say what you like about the players. Some of them may not have as much skill as some of our most recent dominant sides but these young kids do not lack heart. They play for the jumper and the coach. I am sure Clarkson would have been pleased with what he saw even though we lost because i certainly was. Onwards and upwards lets see what we can dish out against the cats next week

As always 4P you give me hope with your incisive intelligent posts. Thanks

If u have taken nothing from that game. Then i am not sure what ure expectations were going into the game. This was the reigning premier against a young inexperienced team. We didn't lay down or give up. We fought it out to the end. We took right upto them in the 3rd. We may have even gotten closer if not the injury to day. They are the superior side and they won. Its fact but every loss especially against quality opposition is a great learning experience

If u have taken nothing from that game. Then i am not sure what ure expectations were going into the game. This was the reigning premier against a young inexperienced team. We didn't lay down or give up. We fought it out to the end. We took right upto them in the 3rd. We may have even gotten closer if not the injury to day. They are the superior side and they won. Its fact but every loss especially against quality opposition is a great learning experience

Ya, being excessively negative on this performance is genuinely baffling. Richmond who have had a generally consistent line-up since 2017 with one decent player missing managed to beat a Hawks outfit who lost 3 starting veteran wings, 2 starting veteran defenders in the off-season and had 3 of our best 5 players not playing. Color me shocked.

The major difference was quality of inside 50, I felt we were fairly even on most counts. Even add Gunston for leadership up forward and Sicily for the same down back, reckon the game plays out a lot differently.

He was good around the ground 2day. Best game in a while on that front but he may well b the only ruckman in rucking history who hits the opposition on the chest twice as often as his team mates. Tbh that would be a great stat.

If it were as bad as you make out then surely one of the greatest coaches of all time would’ve spotted this?

I wanted us to stay within 5 goals driving to the game which we did. I believe we were very lucky today it was only 5 goals was my summation.
I thought 5-6 goals was par , probably look at it a bit differently to you though.

It could have easily blown out but I think our endevour and effort kept that margin more than the Tigers taking the foot off the gas.

We had a good chunk of play and even held sway for parts of the game , a bit of luck and composure in the last part of the 3/4 and we may even have closed the gap to a few goals.

We were never threatening them but we didnt make it a walk in the park either.

I liked how we locked them down into a grinding man on man game in the 3rd Quarter (or did they lock us down into that? LOL...whatever we actually matched up OK imo).
I would hope the reality check after a confidence building Round 1 will see the lads realize they need to find a way to be ON for 4 quarters. After the fumbly, nervous first half it was good to see them grind it out in the 3rd. Those 2 missed shots on goal were crucial I think, as if we snagged them, it was game on.

Most worrying for me is the way teams seem to be able to just blast out of and through the center and put on a goal at will.
Day's injury might give a couple guys another game, just one or two weak links out there for us? With Patton being a recruiting failure, and Gunner and Sicily out, it's kind of another **** up start to a season for us.

Hopefully a solid development game, but we can not lose to the Cats. They are vulnerable with suspensions, and if we can bring 4 quarters I'm pretty sure we can be 2/1 to start the year.

Need to find a different mix in the midfield, Mitchell, O’Meara, worpel , shiels just don’t offer a point of difference. They just don’t have attributes that can help improve the mix in the middle. Lots to work on.

Our midfield is average. One paced , all same same. Needs a shake up. JOM just isn't as good as we were hoping and butchers the ball too often.

Took my son to soccer this morning, time was tight to make start time given I had to also swing past home to pick up the rest of the fam. Turn the motor over chunk chunk battery dead f@$k me grrrrrrrr yell an explicit or two but quite proud of myself not to assassinate the steering wheel! Ok composure rang RACV. 20 minutes later still waiting the kids and fathers come out of the ground (son should have stayed for the post match talk/review anyway!). Then had half the team pushing the car to crank start it. It worked 👍. Missed the first quarter but got there. First game live in 2 years at the G with the fam bloody beautiful.

At the start of the year have said and thought a couple of things given the stage we are at. If we end up bottom 4 so be it but more important is that we remain competitive in most games and that we find a few quality youngsters that we fast track games into. Today we were still in it at 3 qtr time against the reigning premiers and if the ball bounced our way and kicked a couple of goals ..... game on. Tick!

I am not going to name any names but the question that the club needs answered at the moment is will this player contribute and take us to the next level for more silverware? At the moment I feel that we are playing a couple that would struggle to get a game with North while we have others sitting in the wings unproven but show promise. It’s a brutal sport at AFL level and its not personal.

My son who’s favourite player for a long time was Cyril has found a new one today in CJ. I said you have CJ and I will have Brocky. A few Tigers fans behind us were also impressed by CJ and they also said who’s nu 14 I thought Birchall ain’t with the Hawks anymore. Some very promising signs for us but we have to be brutally honest with our list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back