Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Not convinced he can cut it in the midfield for long periods.

Changes the dynamic though.
He did it for Port & did it for us toward the end of 2019.

I'm happy to start him off for short periods - just get him out of the FP.

Re midfield
Not much between the two clubs imo.
Clearences were on par, possession numbers were probably better and chased as much as the opposition, just got done by a ready made for a premiership team.
These fumbles and missed handballs are going to happen every week it's just that the tigers are brutal in making you pay more than any other team.
Worth remembering, if not for dusty handing off two gimmies to Riewoldt, they don't even trouble the scorers in the second half. Defensively we were great, it's unfortunate that we decided to match them second QTR onwards. Taking the foot off the pedal is a load of s**t , it wasn't like they were 8+ goals in front. I'm dying to see how we go next week tbh, feel a lot more confident against any other team other than tigers and a couple of others at this stage.

Re midfield
Clearences were on par, possession numbers were probably better and chased as much as the opposition, just got done by a ready made for a premiership team.
These fumbles and missed handballs are going to happen every week it's just that the tigers are brutal in making you pay more than any other team.
Worth remembering, if not for dusty handing off two gimmies to Riewoldt, they don't even trouble the scorers in the second half. Defensively we were great, it's unfortunate that we decided to match them second QTR onwards. Taking the foot off the pedal is a load of sh*t , it wasn't like they were 8+ goals in front. I'm dying to see how we go next week tbh, feel a lot more confident against any other team other than tigers and a couple of others at this stage.
Spot on.

Re midfield
Worth remembering, if not for dusty handing off two gimmies to Riewoldt, they don't even trouble the scorers in the second half. Defensively we were great, it's unfortunate that we decided to match them second QTR onwards. Taking the foot off the pedal is a load of sh*t , it wasn't like they were 8+ goals in front. I'm dying to see how we go next week tbh, feel a lot more confident against any other team other than tigers and a couple of others at this stage.
Agreed.

This score worm is not one that shows a Premiership favorite competing with a bottom 4 side.

42BF097C-0C8E-48AD-AD49-5B85C58C8F8B.jpeg

Clarko would have seen a lot of things to work on today, but also a fair bit of promise.

Re midfield
Well put.
I think we're doing all the right things for a team that's looking to build into a new team full of sustained success.
Matching it against the premiers- even if they were only in second gear- is very promising at this stage. I seem to remember the Tiggies being a massive thorn in our side even when we were winning flags every other week. They've built themselves into one of the most frustratingly talented and successful sides, I'm just stoked to know that we're going to do the same thing again soon enough :)

Well put.
I think we're doing all the right things for a team that's looking to build into a new team full of sustained success.
Matching it against the premiers- even if they were only in second gear- is very promising at this stage. I seem to remember the Tiggies being a massive thorn in our side even when we were winning flags every other week. They've built themselves into one of the most frustratingly talented and successful sides, I'm just stoked to know that we're going to do the same thing again soon enough :)
You think they were in 2nd gear?

Positives

Sans the first 15 minutes - we cracked in and had heaps of the footy. Tigers couldn't get into their style, obviously they were too good but we disrupted the way they wanted to play

Hardwick had a blinder - even did decent on Lynch a few times

Brockman is a very intelligent player, knows where the space is - will be good for 1 or 2 goals and plenty of score involvements each week for a long time

Mitchell is getting close to his best again

CJ did a fair few good things including a don't argue on Martin :D

Frost was very good - solid in defence and as always opens up the game for us with the ball

Impey - looking real good again, lots of big spoils and great field kicking

Howe had a few big 50/50 balls he made his own, feel that kind of action does not get enough credit around here

At least that spud Josh Caddy didn't kick a bag against us like normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ, Brocky and Hardwick were good.

O'Brien, Hanrahan and Phillips were poor.

We need to improve talent in fwd half as it was non-cohesive today. Lewis, Gunston, Wingrard will obviously help in this regard.

The midfield needs injection of 2-3 new players and FA, trade or draft is the avenue to improve that part of team.

Our most obvious flaw is tthe midfield group, need speed and class addition.

From the Hawthorn site:

BEST
Hawthorn: Mitchell, Jiath, Hardwick, Impey, Phillips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After a review of the game my view is our defence is set.
Sure, Richmond missed a few shots, but our defensive pressure rushed them. Keeping them to less than 80 is a great result.

Our midfield are solid triers. Need a bit of flair, but they hold themselves.

Our forward structure is all over the shop.
The talls play deep on shallow entries, and shallow on deep entries. Not sure if they can't read the play, or if it is the players kicking it into 50 that can't read it

I know our forwards need to mark the ball more, but in fairness to them, our fwd delivery still needs a lot of work... Frustrating watching the highballs to TOB, and then next hit up seeing Riewoldt taking it lace out in front of Frost...
Inside 50s is a result of the plodder midfield. Instructions would be to get a deep entry and attempt to lock it in with the pressure game but we are pedestrian in that when the forwards don’t have the midfield support to squeeze up the ground.
I find it difficult to watch play after play trying to high ball at 25m out when a target can be hit up at 35/40m. I forget who did it but there was a play late when a Hawks player burned 2 guys at 40m and kicked it long go TO in a 2 on 1.
Ppl knock TO for getting done like this when he gets it to ground anyway.
Its just ridiculous.
Brockman, Burgoyne and I think Hardwick had the best entries for the day spearing a ball from forward of centre about 60-70 out and hitting that 35-40m out player.
I’ll take a shot from 45m with any of our talks every day of the week rather than a deep entry with a 50/50 chance of scoring at all.

Three things I liked:
1. CJ's intercept marking. I loved it when the opposition kicks come in and are stopped in their tracks by an intercept mark and we regain possession.
2. Frost's runs from centrehalf back. This added excitement to the game, made is a little less predictable and got the team moving.
3. Taking on the tackler and breaking through the lines. I noticed the boys breaking a number of the initial tackles to find a little bit of space.

Three things to work on:
1. Skills. There were a few errant handballs and kicks with a little bit too much loop that allowed the tigers to close us down. The option was on, it was the execution that made it into a bad option.
2. Decision making. I'm not sure whether it was the Richmond pressure or our relative inexperience, but Richmond made us look slow on a number of occasions with ball in hand. We seemed to be half a second off the pace.
3. Situational awareness. While I loved our players breaking the initial tackle, I was frustrated by getting caught holding the ball with the follow up tackle. We could work on this. A teammate could communicate better that a second player is onto them.

After a review of the game my view is our defence is set.
Sure, Richmond missed a few shots, but our defensive pressure rushed them. Keeping them to less than 80 is a great result.

Our midfield are solid triers. Need a bit of flair, but they hold themselves.

Our forward structure is all over the shop.
The talls play deep on shallow entries, and shallow on deep entries. Not sure if they can't read the play, or if it is the players kicking it into 50 that can't read it
I noticed that the mids not honour leads but go back for another backwards handball to stationary player under pressure (or became pressure once the loopy ball landed)

Our midfield is definitely in the bottom 4 in the comp.

Problem is who can we bring in?

Wingard, Cousins, Downie on a wing. Move Day and Impey into the middle (with CJ, Scrimshaw and Greaves off half back). Work more on getting the Mitchell Worpel combo to gel. Problem isn't so much the inside, its the outside that is hurting us and ultimately that's where our free agent dollars will need to go.

Our forward line is probably bottom 4 in the comp also, it's not a great mix is it ?

Yesterday our small forwards were quiet with the exception of Brockman. Ollie and Moore need to be more menacing on the ground and on the scoreboard to take the pressure off Breust and make the opposition small defenders more accountable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back