Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a bit on today, so I'm still catching up...currently watching the second quarter knowing the final score.

In the second half we kicked 2.5. Tigers kick 3.5.

That seems a pretty good effort to me.

Good effort against reigning premiers.

Boys tried the hearts out, but the skills couldn't match. Some of the young lads did well especially CJ and Brockman.

Nice to see Impey get back to his best form.

TOB and Phillips were extremely poor
- TOB for failing to have any impact, his goal coming from a soft free. Just weak and same old rubbish. Lewis deserves more time than TOB, who is clearly a known quantity at this point.
- Phillips for absolutely butchering the ball. For a wingman, it is crucial they can deliver at high accuracy and was putrid today, for a player with nearly 100 games to his name.

Hopefully Clarko drops some, as competition for spaces is there and it will allow the cream to rise. This will be a year to determine who's part of our future push and who is a spare part we no longer need.

I will state. At pick 65 you take Tom Phillips everyday of the week. Smart by the Hawks. Just can see why Collingwood aren't too upset about it

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Solid endeavour, lacking in skills.

Phillips and O’Meara the worst offenders. Net negative when they got the ball. For O’Meara it is a chronic problem and we need to give him a role that doesn’t involve much ball winning. Frustrating watching the same issues week in week out.

I liked the dare and dash of CJ and Impey. They make mistakes - especially CJ -but they play with energy.

Brockman is a talent. Couple early efforts would not have pleased Clarko but he has skills few others on the list possess

I think Morrison has been solid two weeks in a row. Most improved so far

Ultimately we were comfortably beaten by a side on a very different level to us. Our midfield remains very one paced and poorly skilled. Richmond cruised all day and did us easily. This was a top 4 side against a non finals side. But I can see some positive signs.

Hope Day is ok but otherwise like to see Scrimshaw, Downie and Lewis next week. Wingard it fit.

Loved our effort and willingness to keep taking the game on even when we were turning it over. Keep that up and we will win plenty of games. Most teams can’t come close to Richmond aerial defence and around the ground pressure.
Today was a significant improvement on how we played last year. You could see how we wanted to play.
Frustrating at times but definitely promising signs.

Worps playing with zero intensity. Ceglar is a liability at the moment. So many times he could have physically impacted the game and he didn’t. I have supported TOB for a long time now but he was nudged off the ball so many times too easily today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was a significant improvement on how we played last year. You could see how we wanted to play.
Frustrating at times but definitely promising signs.

Good to hear! Just from the radio commentary I thought it sounded like Brockman was playing well which is great after his good game last week.

Good to hear! Just from the radio commentary I thought it sounded like Brockman was playing well which is great after his good game last week.
Brockman had really good hands, just one grabs balls which is something I wish our talks had.

also one of the best kicks in our team already!

Can’t fault the effort but the skills weren’t there today especially with the delivery into the forward 50. Their well-drilled defensive unit + our fairly inexperienced forwardline + poor delivery meant we struggled to score. Concerned with TOB.

I felt our defensive unit was great. Given their good ball use we limited their ability to score albeit they missed some opportunities. The running halfbacks were good once they game settled & Frosty was fantastic. Hardwick has been a different beast so far this year.

Concerned about our midfield. Mitchell & Worpel are struggling to gel together badly. O’Meara & Sheils were both disappointing with their impact. Howe was probably our most impactful in key moments which is a significant worry. I’m not sure how we fix it.

Fumbling in the first quarter was a poor response to their pressure. Put us behind the 8 ball.

Tentative kicking in the face of their zoning. Chip kicks to contests rather then to the lead up.

Daniel Howe strong, Frost mostly good.

Midfield playing scrambly catch-up. O'Meara pretty anonymous. No real clean fluent movement.

A work in progress.

PS. I don't care about the naysayers, we will miss Scully's run this year, back to longer quarters. Relying onTom Phillips as our only winger isn't going to end well too often, at least if today is any indication. Very poor today, particularly his kicking.

Not sure how Clarko can fit in all of Mitchell, Worpel and JOM. Mitchell is the best of them so he stays but not sure where we can hide JOM his skills are just so below what’s required. Still hope Worps can turn it around. Add in Phillips now and the ball use through the guts is borderline deplorable. Gonna need to draft miss.

You have a beauty in Jiath, I was very impressed by him.

Good luck for next week, please smash Geelong.

Essendon and Geelong would make for a good season.

CJ lacks polish but he is fearless. With more experience he will improve at leaving his man, spoiling not marking and timing his runs. But so far so good.

Ah well.

We kept competing. Kept trying to create. But Richmond just better than us at the moment.

Probably best not to dwell.

Interestingly, switched over to Dogs Eagles after the siren and that game looked in slow motion!

Hope the injuries aren't major.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back