Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

An honest to god win. I see it but I don’t believe it.

Positives
The gameplan. Runners from behind, eagerness to play on. Contested possessions up, clearances up, inside 50s up. Such a change in intent.

TK started the game like a house on fire and ticked it over after that.

Liam ******* Ryan. Could find a teammate on the moon or underwater.

Waterman. So nice having a ‘ruck’ who can add value. Oscar/JD/Waterman a good trio.

JJ off the half back. Shuey off the half back. Sexy stuff.

Cripps and Hunt gut running all day.

Love Long. Ginbey is a prick, how good. Hewett debut and hope we see more. Hell, even SPS looked reinvigorated.

Negatives
Let the margin slip at the end when the legs completely went. Is what it is.

Gaff’s day was poor but putting him back into the middle was equally poor. I thought we were done with that.

————

A well deserved win on the day and well deserved for our patience. Now let’s see this game style carry over. Mistakes brought about by going too quickly and losing your head a little are more than acceptable. Show that fight every week and the results either won’t matter or will take care of itself.

2019 styles - turn it on for a single quarter and win the game.
Mind you - I'm just glad to see us back to being actually able to win a game on the back of one quarter.

+s
  • well for starters we won
  • fast ball movement
  • risks taken
  • Ginbey, what a gem
  • Liam Ryan AA.form
  • Kelly getting back to his best
  • Shuey still giving his all
  • Jones and SPS best 22, as they should be
  • Hunt, what a pickup!
  • Duggan and Cole building nicely
EDIT

Some additional +s
  • beast mode Duggan
  • Long coming along nicely
  • Hough, Culley, Yeo, NicNat to still come back in the side
  • Bailey Williams best game for us so far

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive- Finally, that new game style where we actually have a crack. Guys like Ryan, Jones and SPS look set to flourish now, and Waterman looks like a gun when there's actually space to lead into.

Negative- Shame we gave up some late ones when it could have been an old-school flat-tracking but who cares, we finally won a game!

Positives -
Jones awesome
Williams played quite well
Hunt and SPS probably their best games for us.
Kelly for the first half was very good.
Waterman and Ryan our best forwards
Long with 5 or more assists becoming goals (esp Cripps goals)
Mids and forwards did ok
First half was excellent
Nice to see so much run and handball, thanks mainly to Jones.
Ginbey did a good job for a 2nd gamer

Negatives
Defence was ordinary especially Barrass
2nd half was pretty average
Gaff with 22 possessions was terrible. Only a few of those possessions were any good.
Barrass was terrible after he got frustrated in the 1st quarter.

Last edited:
Someone’s gotta explain to me why it’s taken 4 f*cking years to play like that. It was nothing groundbreaking in terms of tactics, although a fair few players had great games and our pressure was immense.

But in terms of ball movement.. having multiple runners coming past for the handball, draw the man and pass to the overlapping player, lower the eyes and hit leading targets in the forward 50. It’s pretty basic stuff yet I haven’t seen us do any of that over the last couple of years

+
  • Nice to see Waterman get to play predominantly forward and replicate his WAFL form.
  • Midfield, particularly Kelly, stepped up and didnt rely on Shuey.

-
  • Barrass on the beers
  • Think Chesser will be dropped. Nothing to worry about but needs to get game time against the reserves for a while
  • Gaff has to be on his last legs. He looks like a struggling dementia patient half the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back