Game Day Round 2. Gold Coast Suns v Melbourne Football Club, 8PM, Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't have Kayo. Can someone summarise the game?
We started off contesting well , and the Suns were more than a match at stoppages, and they harassed us at every loose ball that fell our way around the ground. then we habitually rushed the ball to boot playing right into the hands literally.
Most times, in the first half when we rushed kick forward, 95% it ended up a turnover; time and again.

We played into their pressure tactics at they're will. And we were lucky they kicked many points in the first half, due to our defensive pressure and intensity.
Intensity wasn't lacking, but our composure was poor, for our experience... Also they stopped us taking any marks around centre-wing from the kick-outs, or rebound from defence.

This hurt our game-style, which we did our best to undo on our own, from our lacking thought, and composure.

We played really poorly... and to the Suns credit, they came to play, and to pressure us at every opportunity. And they did.

On this showing, the Suns will go close to the final 8. Along with many other teams.

Last edited:
why the fu** are you bringing in Daw?????????
Tommo is not a strong tall defender. He's really a 3rd tall back or forward; he plays really well on the 3rd best key opposition,
or a shorter 2nd key-forward.

When we get Petty back, Tommo will stay in as 3rd tall defender, and Smith will go back to Casey.

Two of Tommo and Smith does not improve our defence, over a Daw and May, with Smith, partnership.

Brayshaw is doing a great job in the back half, replacing Salem, however our team fluency is lacking due to our mids; and our talls around the ground.
We just aren't taking enough marks around in general play, particularly contested marks by our tall's.

A lot of scrambly contests are happening, when we fail to take those high marks. And these are causing poor movement for us, across the middle of the ground. Causing us to bang the ball to boot forward and mostly turning it over.

If Daw comes in, Tommo can go to the Wing, as an outlet from defence.

With Daw playing as a genuine tall defender, it can free May up to be a bit more attacking.

Last edited:
fu** Jayden Hunt sucks.
Also Spargo.

Joel Smith on the other hand

ELITE

Hunt is such a tease, it’s like a bad relationship. You cling onto those couple of good things, and then one time you think he’s changed, but then he lets you down the next week again. 96 games now, surely we have to move past him and I reckon with a fully fit backline we would have already.

Spargo has been 2019-2020 Spargs again. In danger of losing his spot to Bedford who supplies much more run and pace. Spargo needs to get back to 9 possessions, of which 7 are gold. I’m not sure even one or two have been gold so far this year.

Joel Smith finally delivering on the potential. It will be fascinating to see how they go with Smith, May, Lever, Hibberd, Tomlinson and Petty all available. Good problem to have and I reckon Smith holds his place as he can do some sort of stopping job on multiple types of players whereas aside from May the others are more limited defensively as to what sort of player they can take.

Hunt is such a tease, it’s like a bad relationship. You cling onto those couple of good things, and then one time you think he’s changed, but then he lets you down the next week again. 96 games now, surely we have to move past him and I reckon with a fully fit backline we would have already.

Spargo has been 2019-2020 Spargs again. In danger of losing his spot to Bedford who supplies much more run and pace. Spargo needs to get back to 9 possessions, of which 7 are gold. I’m not sure even one or two have been gold so far this year.

Joel Smith finally delivering on the potential. It will be fascinating to see how they go with Smith, May, Lever, Hibberd, Tomlinson and Petty all available. Good problem to have and I reckon Smith holds his place as he can do some sort of stopping job on multiple types of players whereas aside from May the others are more limited defensively as to what sort of player they can take.
Smith is competing with Hibberd imo

And he's got him covered too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved dermy spending about 5 minutes explaining how Brayshaw plays that "defensive wing role" when he's been playing at half back for 2 weeks
I’d forgotten that! Even though I spent a further 5 minutes yelling at him

Lever should be as right as he ever will be, this next Rnd. Who goes out? Hunt? Tommo? Smith? Playing the Bummers next week, I think they're tall up forward; so our tall backs probably remain with Lever coming in.

And with Hibbo prob's another week away.
Maybe Brayshaw returns to Wing, for Lever back in, and Jordan goes back to Casey. Unless Brayshaw has an isue after that big hit he copped.

Hunt to interchange. One change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back