Preview Round 20, 2018 - Brisbane vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a correlation between us playing well and the opposition not having a strong ruckman.
Freo game (sandi out)
Hawks game (big boy out)
Carlton (kruezer came off)
Admittedly Freo and Carlton aren't strong anyway and we have played other good games but it seems when Stef can't dominate we are in trouble. Therefore, based on this theory, we are in trouble this week.
Djet_02V4AA0eg3.jpg:large

Hmm think that's a flawed rationale. Better facilities would improve one's capacity to rehab but they're not stopping someone from getting injured. That's more reflective of the high performance managers, fitness staff and the programs they put in place.

Clearly Austin has the balance right, we should keep him at all costs, he will be head hunted given our turn around.

What we can also conclude, which is what alot thought when Hass and Burton were here is.. what ever loads or programs they put through players legs is not a winning formula. Yes luck has alot to do with it, but when history repeats itself it starts to paint a picture.

Also, whilst people can highlight collision injuries as a factor out of the fitness staff control, I think players not having confidence in their body or carrying niggles can increase their chances of collision injuries, take Buddy for example, he is constantly tangled up in contests ATM and getting caught up on the lead, getting smashed to the ground and limping around after contests because he doesen't have the full range of agility, speed and movement available to him. It just increases a players likely hood to get caught out or targeted.

Injury woes seem to be a thing of the past for us (knock on wood), huge praise goes to Austin and his team.

Kinda a bit off topic but we often hear how poor the Lions training facilities are with the absolute best being Collingwood. They have 16 out injured, we have 4 (touch wood). The Crows are also know to have a big spend on the footy department and they have 11 out. Maybe there is something about 'doing it tough' that toughens a team.
Gold Coast's tin sheds don't seem to have upped their endurance.

I think good and bad facilities is like driving around in a Brand new car or an old car with 250k on the clock.

They will get you from A to B in the same amount of time and neither one is going to cause certain injury or ill heath.

But it is going to be generally nicer, safer, better economy and a more pleasant journey with all the mod cons of the new car and people from outside will assume youré doing better too hahaha

Sometime I think the more machines, chambers, alt therapy, doctors, medicines you throw at at physical welfare the more confused the body gets.

Culture over facilities everyday of the week, both is always nice though.

I still love the story of Fagan taking a rusty old dumbbell and a shiny new one up the front at his first training session and highlighting they both weigh the same, and then banning talk about our bad facilities, such a better psychology around this area now.

What is the Roos injury list like considering they are often mocked for how bad their facilities are?
Our facilities have been state of the art since the redevolpment of our Arden Street HQ about a decade ago. Some people just overlook this as it doesn't go with the narrative.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kinda a bit off topic but we often hear how poor the Lions training facilities are with the absolute best being Collingwood. They have 16 out injured, we have 4 (touch wood). The Crows are also know to have a big spend on the footy department and they have 11 out. Maybe there is something about 'doing it tough' that toughens a team.

Maybe also a bit of the strength and conditioning coaches get excited with all the trendy equipment and go overboard.

I think good and bad facilities is like driving around in a Brand new car or an old car with 250k on the clock.

They will get you from A to B in the same amount of time and neither one is going to cause certain injury or ill heath.

But it is going to be generally nicer, safer, better economy and a more pleasant journey with all the mod cons of the new car and people from outside will assume youré doing better too hahaha

Sometime I think the more machines, chambers, alt therapy, doctors, medicines you throw at at physical welfare the more confused the body gets.

Culture over facilities everyday of the week, both is always nice though.

I still love the story of Fagan taking a rusty old dumbbell and a shiny new one up the front at his first training session and highlighting they both weigh the same, and then banning talk about our bad facilities, such a better psychology around this area now.

I hadn't heard that fagan snippet before - love it. So true. I once heard a radio interview of that Lorna Jane woman who has made millions selling trendy gym wear for females and her slogan 'to be you best you have to look your best' was soo bad it has always stuck in my mind. To be your best you have to train, eat and get mentally prepared, not spend a lot of money on clothes that get sweaty and stink.

I hadn't heard that fagan snippet before - love it. So true. I once heard a radio interview of that Lorna Jane woman who has made millions selling trendy gym wear for females and her slogan 'to be you best you have to look your best' was soo bad it has always stuck in my mind. To be your best you have to train, eat and get mentally prepared, not spend a lot of money on clothes that get sweaty and stink.

Yeah I can't remember where it was said but I distinctly remember it coming out of his first preseason, I think it was even his first session, maybe a player in an interview? it was in the same news stream as the stories about everyone getting a go of being captain for the day at training, and then him saying 'Did you enjoy being captain for the day?'.. and when they said 'Yeah I did'.. he said, "ok now you are to carry yourself, use your voice, treat your team mates like that.. at training session everyday'.. to highlight the voice and level that is required everyday, not just when being given a leadership tag, thought that was genius too.

Yeah, I think lesser facility's should define you positively as the gritty team who don't need flashy stuff, not define us as a victim, which is why i was so opposed to Leigh's media statements in Leppas final year, even though I know he was coming from a good place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I can't remember where it was said but I distinctly remember it coming out of his first preseason, I think it was even his first session, maybe a player in an interview? it was in the same news stream as the stories about everyone getting a go of being captain for the day at training, and then him saying 'Did you enjoy being captain for the day?'.. and when they said 'Yeah I did'.. he said, "ok now you are to carry yourself, use your voice, treat your team mates like that.. at training session everyday'.. to highlight the voice and level that is required everyday, not just when being given a leadership tag, thought that was genius too.

Yeah, I think lesser facility's should define you positively as the gritty team who don't need flashy stuff, not define us as a victim, which is why i was so opposed to Leigh's media statements in Leppas final year, even though I know he was coming from a good place.

Did that captain for the day (brilliant btw) come from his time at Hawthorn?

Isn't part of it about comfort and player retention?

Yeah of coarse that is a major factor, don't get me wrong, I want new facilities very badly, such an important step for the club.

There are however, different philosophical approaches that can make our current situation easier in the mean time.

Isn't part of it about comfort and player retention?
one might argue that we have player retention and less injuries without the so called comfort of what the rest of the clubs would say is even good facilities. Maybe a bit of "QUEENSLANDER" is rubbing off on the Lions. In League every year Old is the underdog, the team thrives on taking it to the silver tails, 10 series out of the last 12 and the players come from all clubs rich and poor. But when the coach gets in their ears about how NSW treats Queensland as states, players like Greg Inglis who has never lived in Queensland and only lived in NSW grow an extra leg and belt NSW.

I wonder if we've had a couple of injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back