Game Day Round 21: Essendon v St Kilda, Etihad Stadium, Friday August 10th, 7.50pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
round21.jpg
472720_b58942a4283f11fbc134d006418df22f.jpg

It's winter, it'll be cold outside, especially considering Etihad is right by the bay. But the game is inside, so get yourself some Etihad chips with that strange Etihad secret seasoning (hash), and warm yoself.

472721_ed5d0e7c638c5c7801a6baa4f4cd056b.jpg

SportsBet:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$1.20
ST KILDA SAINTS: $4.60

CrownBet:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$1.22
ST KILDA SAINTS: $4.35

UBET:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$1.22
ST KILDA SAINTS: $4.35

Which means we'll probably lose.

472722_12eeb32546c82d6cca0ca499f6b89844.jpg

ESSENDON BOMBERS

It was s**t. A super close, tight game with heart stopping moments where the two teams never got more than a few kicks in front of each other.
Once again, Tom Mitchell tore a new anus and violated it.
Ben Stratton, the mulleted ****, cut off almost every single foray forward that we had, which was a genuine crock of s**t.
**** Jaeger O'Meara and his pissweak little head. Francis executes a perfect bump and cops a fine for it. Genuinely baffling.
Jack Gunston slotted five and made me sad that he didn't come to us. Bitch.
In and out momentum changes the whole way through the match saw the Hawks hold on just as we fought our way back within the last few minutes, with Trav Colyer (yes, you read that right) slotting one from outside 50 with just over 10 seconds to go.
James Worpel slotted a goal in the last minute just prior, which made me yell "**** HAWTHORNE" more than usual.
We now need to beat the Saints this week, Richmond next week (lol), and Port in Adelaide in Round 23 to make the finals.
Our genuine lack of preperation within the confines of the MCG is baffling; we have really struggled there this year, and we can't seem to figure out how to adjust our game plan to work on bigger grounds. Six losses from our seven games there is simply not good enough; especially when the finals are played there.
Goddard was bloody awful. No hiding from it.
Colyer, save for his goal in the final 15 seconds, was also awful.
Franga simply didn't get into it.
Dev Smith was down on his usual numbers.
Zach Merrett was fantastic.
Cale Hooker was immense, especially considering his two clutch goals.
Walla had one of his best games so far this year, and proved strong on the ball.
Stringer was immense before a minor ankle problem impacted his ability to affect any contest; though the punch to the bench looked to have done more damage than the ankle problem itself.
Hep got a lot of it, but turned it over consistently.
Two losses to these pricks in a single yeat feels bad, man.
**** Hawthorne.

HAWTHORNE HAWKES 16.11 107 def. ESSENDON BOMBERS 16.7 103

BEST: Z. Merrett, Hooker, Smith, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Stringer, Fantasia
GOALS: Baguley, Stringer 3, McKenna, Hooker 2, Bellchambers, Fantasia, Brown, McDonald-Tipungwuti, McGrath, Colyer
INJURIES: Dea (Concussion, replaced in selected side by McNiece), Guelfi (Illness, replaced in selected side by Colyer)
REPORTS: Nil

--------

ST KILDA SAINTS

No matter how badly our game ended, at least we were able to say we've seen some improvement in our game plan this year. The Saints? Oh dear.
This year has been an incredible, monumental failure for the Saints. Nothing, albeit the rapid development of Jade Gresham, can be a positive from 2018.
Last week was no different whatsoever, with the Saints falling hard to a Bulldogs side that has also had a horrible year.
A huge four goal third quarter from Bontempelli sank the Saints, who were held to only three goals after the first quarter, while the Dogs slotted 14.
God they were so s**t. A shining light is Nathan Freeman, who, while not having a huge impact on the game, he made it through the whole match without an issue.
Jake Carlisle had a good first term?
Seb Ross plays like his cousin Jobe, but not as good.
That's it.
Pretty poor.

ST KILDA SAINTS 9.14 68 def. by WESTERN BULLDOGS 15.13 103

BEST: Ross, Gresham, Webster, Lonie, Billings
GOALS: Ross 3, Lonie, Newnes 2, Membrey, Geary
INJURIES: Battle (Concussion), Hickey (Hamstring)
REPORTS: Nil

472723_a0301250878328bf82f44e5c86d387fd.jpg

saints.jpg

ESSENDON EMERGENCIES
Dylan Clarke, Matthew Leuenberger, Jayden Laverde, Matt Dea

ST KILDA EMERGENCIES
Luke Dunstan, Hugh Goddard, Ed Phillips, Nick Coffield

--------------------------

ESSENDON INS: NO CHANGE
ESSENDON OUTS: NO CHANGE

ST KILDA INS: Bailey Rice, Ben Long, Ben Paton, Lewis Pierce, Rowan Marshall
ST KILDA OUTS: Hunter Clark, Luke Dunstan, Nick Coffield (All omitted), Josh Battle (Injured), Tom Hickey (Injured)

MILESTONES
ROSS%20Sebastian.png

#6 - ST KILDA - SEBASTIAN ROSS
100 GAMES

DEBUT

PATON%20Ben.png

#45 - ST KILDA - BEN PATON
186cm, 77kg
Pick 46 in 2017 National Draft from Murray Bushrangers

472726_a98a1da712512c2fc1a8851fd0f98ea1.jpg

An eleventh placed side making no changes after a loss is a bizarre situation, but here we are. Travis Colyer has somehow done enough to warrant his spot in the seniors this week; while I'm not a hater of Trav at all, his performances this season have been awful. While BJ Goddard had a shocker last week, he really does deserve to play against his old side, regardless of whether or not form allows for it or not. This may, after all, be the last time.

The Saints, on the other hand, have made a raft of changes after a pissweak effort against the Bulldogs last week. Youngsters Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield have both been omitted after ultimately failing to make an impact, while Luke Dunstan, the most experienced of the trio, has also been dropped. His game last week, even after all his experience, wasn't good enough. Young gun forward Josh Battle is out due to injury (not in part to Mia Fevola dumping him for Dan Rioli, yes I know it's sad that I know this), while old mate Tom Hickey has also suffered an injury. Replacing Hickey is St Kilda's only real ruck option left in Lewis Pierce, who is playing only his second game against man mountain Tom Bellchambers. Murray Bushrangers product Ben Paton gets his chance to debut after a strong string of performances in the twos, while Ben Long has earned a repreive to the seniors again, alongside big unit Rowan Marshall. Bailey Rice is the spitting image of his Dad, even the receding hairline. He's in too. Whatever.

472727_9defc367c93ded1f4eba315422e9c11e.jpg

ESSENDON BOMBERS - #2 - TOM BELLCHAMBERS

Big Tom has had arguably his best AFL season yet. A true mountain of a man, the 200cm giant's tap and overall ruck work has been top tier all season, and he has defeated more fancied opponents regularly. This week, Tom comes up against St Kilda's third choice ruckman in Lewis Pierce. Last year, Bellcho absolutely gave Tom Hickey a bath, with Hickey having a game which my St Kilda supporting wife has listed as "A 120kg man having a vertical seizure". What Bellcho may give away in speed, he makes up for in his attacking mindset. He is a giant of man who consistently dominates around the stoppages, using his body and strength to the advantage of our mids in the best positions. While he can be beaten from time to time, this week shouldn't be one of them, considering he's up against a second gamer.

ESSENDON BOMBERS - #9 - BRENDON GODDARD

I will always have the utmost respect for BJ Goddard and what he has brought to the Essendon footy cub. He crossed from St Kilda to seek flags, and was immediately thrown into the biggest drama that this proud club has ever found itself in. Throughout that entire ordeal, he's maintained his poise and maturity better than almost anyone, and while the jungle drums may have been beating on his career over this season, you can't argue that he is one of the best leaders at the club. His body may not do what it used to, and his disposal and mindfulness around the contest may have dropped away somewhat, but he is still an Essendon champion, and always will be. If he does or doesn't continue on next year, then he won't change

ST KILDA SAINTS - #6 - SEBASTIAN ROSS

Can't fault the bloodline. Tim Watson's nephew, and as such, Jobe's cousin, plays his 100th game tonight against us, and has been a star for the Saints in the lean past few years. Alongside Jack Steven and, to a lesser extent, Jade Gresham from time to time, Ross has been a real cog in the St Kilda engine room. A tough, in and under player with a great centre of gravity and a laser sharp handball, he has the potential to be another Tom Mitchell sort of player that just does whatever he wants with it and shits us up the wall. One of the key ingredients to the next phase of St Kilda success (eventually, you'll get there, cheer up), Ross is a legitimate jet. Once Geary bails, he would make a great captain for the Saints. Leadership runs in the blood, after all.

ST KILDA SAINTS - #12 - NOT NICK RIEWOLDT

Everyone knew that Riewoldt and Montagna leaving was going to create an enormous gap in the St Kilda list. I don't think anyone could have predicted that the fall would be this huge. With Riewoldt leaving, the leadership structure within the Saints has been thrown wide open, and even the senior heads within the club like Geary, Steven or even Armitage can't emulate what Riewoldt brought to the club. Arguably one of the best St Kilda players ever, the gap that's been created here will eventually heal, but it will take some time. Not just in playing talent, but in the atmosphere and aura created around the team on game day.

I'm also stoked that Riewoldt won't kill us anymore and I don't know enough about the rest of the Saints players to make a decent little section here, I'm just short of time and I'm very lazy.

472728_4594292710392e969bc3f1356c8abb02.jpg

I've remained coy on the whole Gaff incident through this entire week until the due process ran through and we got an outcome. it was always going to be an intruiging week through, given all the attention that has been placed on physical contact and punching throughout the league over the past few years. This week, we have seen all elements that come out of an incident like this. Sure, we have those who sympathise with Gaff but condemn the actions. We have some that just flat out iron him as a thug. And we have those who think he didn't do anything wrong and it was in the spirit of the game.

The media circus surround the incident is huge, which you would have to expect. It's not often that you get a Brownlow contender, much less one of the favourites, wipe himself out with only three weeks left in the season. Aside from that though, and we have this witch hunt over Gaff; of which I can see both sides. Yes, he slogged a bloke square in the mouth and broke his jaw, while breaking off four of his teeth. I don't believe he meant to do that at all. I do believe that he meant to punch him, but into the chest; a seriously misguided swing if anything, not helped by the fact that Brayshaw was changing direction at the time and did move his body lower, directly into the impact. With that in mind, I do feel for Gaff; he didn't mean to cause so much damage, but even accidents have consequences. There's no need to be punching a bloke in the chest, either. A strike is a strike.

There is an element of white line fever to this case too, as would have to be expected. The simple fact that Brayshaw had the role of antagonising Gaff the whole game puts a faint mistique of understanding over the incident. There have been times where we have all wanted a co-worker or someone who we deal with in every day life to just shut up, and some to the point where we've actually wanted to sock the living s**t out of them. The difference here, is that Gaff actually did it. The ****ing mad man.

Footy violence aside, the punch needs to stop. We all know someone who has been a victim of a needless act of violence. Credit where credit is due on the AFL here; 8 weeks seems to be a reasonable ban. With that in mind, however, we need to realize that this sort of incident outside the walls of a footy field is a jail-time offence. The needless violence and physical conflict which is becoming more and more prevalent in every day society is a terrifying prospect, and if we are to make sure it doesn't keep happening, we need to keep this in the spotlight; not let it fade away like it so often does.

-VS

Apologies for the small rant and lack of effort this week. Friday games limit my time to do the funnies.

471569_c1a7819939d4fc0f6c3960003bb0fd23.jpg

No rant this week, as no-one nominated.

-----------

If you would like to nominate for a guest spot as a ranter, please PM me!

472729_539dc8b21bed893d3b60007dbcf8d432.jpg

ROUND 17, 2017
Etihad Stadium
14/7/17

ST KILDA SAINTS 7.15 57
def. by
ESSENDON BOMBERS 17.16 118

---------

ESSENDON BEST: Merrett, Zaharakis, Kelly, Daniher, Hurley, Kelly
ESSENDON GOALS: Daniher 4, Bellchambers, Zaharakis, Green, McDonald-Tipungwuti 2, Myers, Hooker, Hurley, Colyer, McKenna

ST KILDA BEST: Savage, Steven, Newnes, Roberton
ST KILDA GOALS: Riewoldt, Carlisle, Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham, Battle

---------

CHANGES SINCE THEN:

ESSENDON OUTS: Kelly, Stewart, Gleeson, Bird, Hartley, Daniher, Green
ESSENDON INS: Smith, Saad, Stringer, Francis, McNiece, Langford, Brown

ST KILDA OUTS: Savage, Roberton, Montagna, Riewoldt, Stevens, Bruce, Hickey, Gilbert, Battle
ST KILDA INS: Marshall, Armitage, Membrey, Freeman, Webster, Pierce, Acres, Rice, Paton

471568_1b7630e7e14ed4b02099a98a46510725.jpg

MELBOURNE:
TV:
Channel 7 (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST)
RADIO: Triple M, SEN, 3AW, ABC, ABC Grandstand
MOBILE: AFL Live Official App with LIVE Pass (Unmetered on Telstra Mobile Network)

SYDNEY:
TV:
7mate (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST)
RADIO: ABC
MOBILE: AFL Live Official App with LIVE Pass (Unmetered on Telstra Mobile Network)

ADELAIDE:
TV:
Channel 7 (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST)
RADIO: Triple M, ABC, ABC Grandstand

PERTH:
TV:
7mate (LIVE at 5.30pm AWST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 5.50pm AWST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 5.30pm AWST)
RADIO: 6PR, ABC, ABC Grandstand

BRISBANE:
TV:
7mate (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST)
RADIO: ABC

TASMANIA:
TV:
7 Tasmania (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.30pm AEST)
RADIO: NIRS, Triple M, ABC, AFL Nation, ABC Grandstand

DARWIN:
TV:
7 Darwin (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.00pm ACST)
RADIO: NIRS, ABC, AFL Nation

471567_37797b26ee5527f5aab0532c8f890ddb.jpg

While our finals chances might be extraordinarily thin, we wouldn't want the lads to be complacent against a side who have seriously struggled this year. Need a big win. Need to make a statement.

Just once, I'd like to see us dominate an opponent.

ESSENDON BY 84.

Me while making this all week
I'll watch and get frustrated when ******* Pannell pulls a free kick out of ******* nowhere but jeez I'm meh about the last 3 rounds.

Go Bombers

Gee I hate St Kilda, I hate them more than Carlton.

**** St Kilda I say.
Interested to know why the high high level of hatred (more than Carlton??).

Is it the culture?

I’ve probably always had the Saints down as my second team as I’d like to see them get some success after such abysmal historical fortune (doesn’t stop me from giving a little bit of lip to Saints supporters about this fact though).

It’s probably largely to do with the Ballarat connection and the fact that some of my favourite non-Essendon players have been Saints - Lockett, Winmar, Riewoldt, Barker, Goddard, Loewe, Harvey, Hayes, Gehrig, Everett, Dal Santo, Stevens have all been great to watch over the years.

Even though we would all be much more excited if we had won last week and were still a legitimate finals chance, this is still a game of footy and a chance for us to impress. Plus we all know the fans have not seen a big win all season which is pretty disappointing. I'd love to see the boys do something to change that. Saints aren't necessarily that bad but if we ever want to be a good team we need to start actually doing more than scraping over the line every week.

Interested to know why the high high level of hatred (more than Carlton??).

Is it the culture?

I’ve probably always had the Saints down as my second team as I’d like to see them get some success after such abysmal historical fortune (doesn’t stop me from giving a little bit of lip to Saints supporters about this fact though).

It’s probably largely to do with the Ballarat connection and the fact that some of my favourite non-Essendon players have been Saints - Lockett, Winmar, Riewoldt, Barker, Goddard, Loewe, Harvey, Hayes, Gehrig, Everett, Dal Santo, Stevens have all been great to watch over the years.
Why the hatred?

In a nutshell it’s because of the St Kilda supporters I know esp my brother in law and his family.

Last years win over them was a game that left me with the biggest buzz I’d had after a win in a long time.

While I’m not sure with St Kilda’s current form that a repeat of that is possible, I hope they really put their foot down and give us one to remember.

With the general feeling around this game being one of mere indifference... I reckon we'll smash em! And still most people afterwards will be meh and complaining.

Good write up Velvet; I've said it before you're a star and everyone on this board should be grateful for the effort you put in each week.

I think there is only one thing that could lift the Essendon fans off the matt and get em pumped again.. just a lazy 5 goals BOG performance by Francis!

VelvetSledge i'm staring at the teams trying to figure out if you shopped most of the Saints' foreheads or if they're just naturally munted...i'm still only about 80% sure
No photoshopping at all except for Billings jumper

Me while making this all week
You did an awesome job, as always.

I want franga to show the saints what they gave up for Jake “* this club” Carlisle.

Edit: as in franga plays really well..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roosy still shirty with Hurley comments, get over it you sook. Said teams have to play well over 23 weeks, not good enough to have played poorly early stage of season. Yet I’m sure he was raving about Swans great recovery last season after starting 0-6.

Held up on a train just past Tarneit cause some one is threatening self harm at footscray station.....

Probably will miss the bounce now unfortunately. Hope the person is alright.

Got a feeling this will be a long night, expect the Saints to bounce back a bit after the efforts of last couple of weeks & maybe just maybe our mob will be a bit flat after last week's loss.

I'm up for this one. Time to go hard early. Dominate every part of the field. Have the game sewn up by the third quarter.

Then Tiger hunting season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back