Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Once JD retires having Snake, Maric and OA all roaming the forward line with different but versatile skillsets is dangerous.
Maric - Roaming with elite footskills
Snake - Pure Lead up forward with a great set shot.
OA - Roams but busts packs with excellent Aerial ability.

Then the smalls in Longy and Ryan.

Forwardline is looking quite good.
Yep - forward line is looking good. Maric has been a great pick up. We've struck gold if J Williams keeps improving too.

If Ginbey, Hewett and Reid all end up as guns, we'll have the midfield sorted.

Our biggest problem is looking like KPD. Bazzo and Edwards are our only young developing players as neither looks like they'll be able to handle the best KPF. We may need to look at trading for this, given keys take 5 years or so to develop.

Jameson should be developed as a second tall defender to give us depth as well.

Yep - forward line is looking good. Maric has been a great pick up. We've struck gold if J Williams keeps improving too.

Our biggest problem is looking like KPD. Bazzo and Edwards are our only young developing players as neither looks like they'll be able to handle the best KPF. We may need to look at trading for this, given keys take 5 years or so to develop.

Agreed. Hence my growing opinion on trading next year's first to get Curtin if it can be done.

Agreed. Hence my growing opinion on trading next year's first to get Curtin if it can be done.
Do we need to spend such a high pick on a KPD though? We usually do alright finding good ones with late picks.
If we're going for Curtin I think it's with the view of turning him into a forward or a mid.

I think it’s way too early to stamp Bazzo’s papers. He looked good last season but this year he’s had his mothers death plus interrupted preseason. Lets wait till he is physically capable to play as a tall before we write him off
I think he'll be a good tall but he looks a bit too small to take the best KPF in the league.

Do we need to spend such a high pick on a KPD though? We usually do alright finding good ones with late picks.
If we're going for Curtin I think it's with the view of turning him into a forward or a mid.

I'm generally of the same opinion.

But I wonder as clubs start prioritising those elite KPD with offensive capabilities if we're going to see them identified earlier and less slipping to late picks.

How many truly elite KPD have their been in the last 10 years? Maybe five?

If for example you could guarantee both Reid (midfield) and Curtin (KPD) would be generational players in their nominal positions, who'd you pick?

I'd pick Curtin. My reasoning being that proper elite KPDs are rare as hen's teeth and you only need one of them to change a team.

Ofc you can't guarantee that so I'd pick Reid. My point being I don't think it's a waste to spend serious draft capital on defenders - but it's maybe a bit speculative for a team in our position.

With BBW and Barnett, surely we develop Jameson as a KPD? Give him a full preseason with the backs as I reckon he's got the ability.
kinda incredible how this was Hough less than two years ago. I low key expected him to be a slow burn being that skinny. Now I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the first from the 2021 draft crew to break out next season
View attachment 1766527

Brad Sheppard Mk2.

Reckon you're about Jameson, he looks like a scrapper, a good quality in a defender.

I've been down on Witherden for years, but am I wrong in thinking he's been significantly better in the last month?

Bazzo has been playing waaaay too early for a KD.

He will be a great key defender but will take at least 2 more years to get him physically ready.

Next year, if two of H. Edwards, Barrass and Gov are available I'm happy to play him as the third tall, but he shouldn't be playing seniors otherwise.

I'm generally of the same opinion.

But I wonder as clubs start prioritising those elite KPD with offensive capabilities if we're going to see them identified earlier and less slipping to late picks.

How many truly elite KPD have their been in the last 10 years? Maybe five?

If for example you could guarantee both Reid (midfield) and Curtin (KPD) would be generational players in their nominal positions, who'd you pick?

I'd pick Curtin. My reasoning being that proper elite KPDs are rare as hen's teeth and you only need one of them to change a team.

Ofc you can't guarantee that so I'd pick Reid. My point being I don't think it's a waste to spend serious draft capital on defenders - but it's maybe a bit speculative for a team in our position.
I'm not sure it's that hard to find good KPD. Go back through the AA lists for the last decade and a lot of them came from later in the draft. We've always managed to have one or two since the McIntosh days (Glass, Gov, TB is on the cusp of that level).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Jamieson be quick enough to be a KPD? Cant see him being much different to Hedwards.
When I watch Jamieson he appears to me to be a more balanced unit. Another offseason and I think he'll be a genuine imposing figure based on the size he put on last year.

Harry Edwards still appears to move like a baby giraffe to me.

Reckon you're about Jameson, he looks like a scrapper, a good quality in a defender.

I've been down on Witherden for years, but am I wrong in thinking he's been significantly better in the last month?
Witho has been really good the last 6 weeks.

His intensity has lifted massively, tackling really hard, biting off kicks at the right time. Will be top 6 or 7 in our BnF I feel.

Some people pretty harsh on young players. They come from different backgrounds and develop at different rates.They've been thrown in at the deep end and forced to adapt week to week. It's highly likely they'll do a good preseason together and emerge stronger and more improved for it, and we should see some positive signs in the scratchies and early next season. I see Chesser as a slow burn, a quality player in the end.

Some people pretty harsh on young players. They come from different backgrounds and develop at different rates.They've been thrown in at the deep end and forced to adapt week to week. It's highly likely they'll do a good preseason together and emerge stronger and more improved for it, and we should see some positive signs in the scratchies and early next season. I see Chesser as a slow burn, a quality player in the end.

He's building but he still has some genuine head scratcher moments - his decision making can be baffling on occasion. And that handball to the Essendon player was up there.

Chesser hasn't been afforded the same generosity as someone like Venables. Who, before going too soon, had multiple years of injury and middling form before it was ok to question his future.

Understandable really, we're all pretty gun-shy after 2 failed first rounders.

But Chesser is coming from an incredibly low platform, playing very little footy the last few years, and into an all-time terrible team. Ideally he'd be playing mostly WAFL but we haven't been able to do that.

I reckon he's already shown more than Brander ever did that he has the disposition for AFL footy. Need to wait a couple of seasons before writing him off.

Was out and about so didn't watch the game. Checked my phone, saw we were in front with a couple of minutes to go, opened Kayo just in time to see Essendon kick the winning goal. Rage quit.

So, we can blame you for the loss but thank you for pick 1 retention.

I’m compromised.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he'll be a good tall but he looks a bit too small to take the best KPF in the league.
Yeah cause he is 86kgs. Once he fills out he’ll be fine. He’s roughly same size as a lot of the KPD’s. I also don’t believe the KPD’s need to be 200cm. There’s alot of shorter KPD’s playing atm including blokes under 190cm

Chesser hasn't been afforded the same generosity as someone like Venables. Who, before going too soon, had multiple years of injury and middling form before it was ok to question his future.

But Chesser is coming from an incredibly low platform, playing very little footy the last few years, and into an all-time terrible team. Ideally he'd be playing mostly WAFL but we haven't been able to do that.

I reckon he's already shown more than Brander ever did that he has the disposition for AFL footy. Need to wait a couple of seasons before writing him off.
Brander could not polish Chessers boots.

Wrote this on Chess's individual thread, but reminds me alot of Anthony Morabito when he came into the AFL. Clearly an athlete and not a natural Footballer. Will develop his game sense and awareness over the next few pre seasons and turn into a quality player. The difference being, Mora was in a top 6 team and was covered well by quality, where as Chesser hasn't had the quality to back him up. Defensively he is really poor at the moment, but need to keep playing him and be patient.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back