Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

This is precisely the reaction I want to see from players in a close game.

Especially when it’s from a young guy who’s been at the club for all of about 2 months. Despite the season we’ve had the spirit within the playing group looks strong, particularly among the young players who are developing a good bond

Flight Of The Conchords Crying GIF

I like that you dislike the original statistical comparison so you just throw your own arbitrary comment in with it. Good stuff.

Here's one for all the "I love to losers" out there. The most recent player drafted to a wooden spoon side with pick #1 who then subsequently went on to win a flag with that same team was...Des Hedland. Pick #1 doesn't fix your team. Ever. Winning does.
Lol the difference being one was presented as an assertion and the other a hypothesis requiring further data.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

I’ve no issue with posters who are glad/relieved we lost given the big picture - unlike other years there is a gap (real or perceived) between Reid and the rest of the draft cohort that makes pick 1 even more valuable than usual

I do have an issue with posters who advocate that the club should tank to deliberately lose games. At no point do I want to support a club that doesn’t prioritise winning as it’s main objective as it’s a slippery slope in terms of culture. You want the playing group to be striving to win and disappointed when they don’t

In many ways yesterday was the perfect result. The players fought back and erased a 5 goal deficit with the confidence that brings whilst also learning from the last 2 minutes

And we retained pick 1
Bill Posters has been at it for years. It has been said he should be prosecuted, but the players are certainly not tanking.

You guys did really well trading pick 2. Hewett looked really good yesterday.

Ginbey was doing well until he did his hammy but the more I see Hewett play for us he’s the one that will justify the pick split

Williams has completely white washed some on here because he tries or he look like he does because he is so uncoordinated.
fact remains he gets beaten in the ruck most weeks, struggles to mark especially above his head, is below average in hit outs to advantage and hitout wins ….
Yep he might finish high in our bnf in our worst ever year on the the fact he played all the games not on his actual effect on games.
Hahahahaha

My man has been waiting months to post this 😂

So you think we should've implicitly known that we needed to drop games to get better picks, but not so many games that we pick up Scully and Trengove?

In the Demon's case, losing the game actually put them in a worse position. The tigers having one of those 'meaningless wins' allowed them to draft Martin. But that's explicitly not the point.

It's very easy to peer back to old drafts with the benefit of hindsight and blame the outcome on a few wins here and there, when in reality no one really knows who the best player from any given draft year will be. Who would've thought that with all of our high 2010 draft picks, our best player would instead come from the rookie draft?

It's overly simplistic logic that doesn't really make a lot of sense once you start analysing it properly.
Peer back to old drafts?

You opened this Pandora’s box by using the Tigers defeating the Demons in 2009 as an example of how it all worked out for them and they got Dusty.

I merely used a different example from the same year mind you to illustrate that by winning a few extra games at the end of 2009 it may have cost us Dusty.

I agree that no one knows who the best players will be from any given draft, what I do know though is that Pick 1 gives us the best chance to select the player we covet most or trade for the best possible return.

All things being equal I’d like that advantage and having our fate in our own hands more so than a few meaningless wins at the end of a horrific campaign.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is precisely the reaction I want to see from players in a close game.

Especially when it’s from a young guy who’s been at the club for all of about 2 months. Despite the season we’ve had the spirit within the playing group looks strong, particularly among the young players who are developing a good bond

he should have been sad that we almost lost the #1 draft pick

Once JD retires having Snake, Maric and OA all roaming the forward line with different but versatile skillsets is dangerous.
Maric - Roaming with elite footskills
Snake - Pure Lead up forward with a great set shot.
OA - Roams but busts packs with excellent Aerial ability.

Then the smalls in Longy and Ryan.

Forwardline is looking quite good.
I don't agree sorry, I think we can only play one of Waterman & Maric in the forward line. We need the other tall forward to be true key position size imo, someone who can take some of the focus off Allen.

Why do Essendon always seem to get the umpiring bias? The double standard yesterday was glaring!
Sometimes it was pushing in the back other times it was shove away baby.
Dropping the ball? What a quaint concept!
OA is such a renowned high mark that he gets manhandled in every contest.I don’t think I’ve seen a player get pulled up yet, for the discreet shove in the small of the back thus tunnelling the man going for the ball. Bontempelli nearly got killed Friday night by the opposition player pushing the middle player into Bonts lower back while he was full tilt in the air. It was a horrifying incident which could have ended badly.

I don't agree sorry, I think we can only play one of Waterman & Maric in the forward line. We need the other tall forward to be true key position size imo, someone who can take some of the focus off Allen.
And Culley?

Gonna be interesting next season to see what the MC do. Waterman v Maric v Culley. Witho v JJ v Hough. etc

And Culley?

Gonna be interesting next season to see what the MC do. Waterman v Maric v Culley. Witho v JJ v Hough. etc
Culley (assuming we re-sign him...bit of a worry we haven't yet) will end up rotating between the midfield and hff, don't think we'll see him until well after the bye next year anyway.

In all seriousness, hats off to that dope Petrucelle.

His career could and arguably should be done by now, but his stints in the midfield really have been nothing short of impressive.

Yesterday he was the catalyst for getting us back into the game. He hit multiple contests at pace, set up Cripps goal and then finished off the goal Crupps help set back up in return. Old Petrucelle would've missed that shot on the run.

I'm here for it. Give him another 12 months. 2 years if we're feeling stupid.

Core strength has been the biggest driver of this improvement IMO. He's able to keep his weight over the ball a lot better this year and even taken a strong overhead mark or two. The stats don't really indicate his improvement this year but he's a no brainer for an extension IMO.

In all seriousness, hats off to that dope Petrucelle.

His career could and arguably should be done by now, but his stints in the midfield really have been nothing short of impressive.

Yesterday he was the catalyst for getting us back into the game. He hit multiple contests at pace, set up Cripps goal and then finished off the goal Crupps help set back up in return. Old Petrucelle would've missed that shot on the run.

I'm here for it. Give him another 12 months. 2 years if we're feeling stupid.
He’s good when the play is happening right in front of him. Gets lost in open play which is why small forward never suited him that much. In a weird way he’s a bit like NN in that regard. just a tiny white version.

kinda incredible how this was Hough less than two years ago. I low key expected him to be a slow burn being that skinny. Now I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the first from the 2021 draft crew to break out next season
View attachment 1766527

For comparison purposes the second photo was taken yesterday
452FB3C3-4431-4D04-8B6D-2203D0FFE429.jpeg
13C3C6D7-C912-408E-8B4D-FCC55FBD7D41.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back