Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives: there was a few

• Lachie, absolutely sensational
  • Hugh, best game this year.
  • Zorks off HB

Negatives:

• Umpiring, not saying it cost us the match, but geez did the Pies get some soft frees close to goal.
  • Hipwood, ok.....he dropped at least 4 marks that he should of absolutely taken, and got badly beaten in a number of marking contests. I can't see it happening, BUT he needs to go back to VFL to find some form and confidence.
  • Our entries going inside f50 was pretty much kick and hope.
  • Our tackling effiency, the amount of times PIES players just shrugged off tackles was an embarrassment, the club is in NRL heart land surely they can throw some cash at a former league player to show/teach them how to stick a tackle.
  • Can Fages just give Kai a full game.
  • Payne ....anyone got answers as to why he has gone backwards so quickly this year ????
  • Hearing that bloody COOOOLLLIINNWWOOOOOOOOODD bellow out around the bloody Gabba.

Re-watching it on kayo now. Honestly what do Daniher and Eric bring to this team? Softest key forwards in the comp by a country mile. Yet our team knows they are soft but keep bombing it high, long and slow for opposition to just out body them and rebound with ease. In contrast to the Pies who have on talent s**t forwards but they give them every chance possible with fast penetrating kicks that create instant pressure on Brisbane defenders. Don't get me started on our pathetic tackle rate this season... I think we have been dominated in the tackle count vs opposition tackle count every game so far.

Last edited:
I can't accept the contention that our guys weren't giving it everything tonight.

We "won" nearly all the stats, including Inside 50's but again, blew many scoring opportunities with wayward kicking on goal

However, collectively the team is just out of form and looks down on confidence.

Daniher and Hipwood looked like they had hands made of concrete, although there was interference several times in marking contests that the umps chose to ignore. There was one instance in the last quarter where Hipwood was in the process of attempting to control a juggling mark but got a blatant shove in the back so had no opportunity to do so. Play on?

I thought the umpiring sucked overall.

From 14-all free kicks at half time, the Pies got 16-6 in the second half. How many HTB frees did they pluck to Collingwood in that second half?.....it just seemed like one way traffic. Stacks on the mill and a Lions player on the bottom of the pack......free kick Collingwood.

That said, we were our own worst enemies and probably got what we deserved in the end.

One last thing....can the Rayner haters please give it a break? I thought he was bloody good tonight, as was Lester who never seems to get flustered in tight situations, has great anticipation and spatial awareness AND gets a bad wrap for being "slow" when he actually shows decent pace when he has too.

I'm depressed as anyone else here but the constant carping and negativity just makes it worse.

And for Chrissakes, can we give the "Sack Fagan" thing a rest too. That man has taken us from a total rabble to a serious football team. It seems ro me that we need to look at the bigger picture instead of looking for scapegoats every time we have a loss.

0-3 is a terrible start but it's a long season and I'm not prepared to write us of at this early point.

Get a win on the board next week and things can turn around pretty quickly.

Who was that guy that said "Things are never as good or bad as they seem"?

Got a reaming from the umps but Pies were cleaner, fitter and better inside 50.

Zorks is not a defender - thought they might have tried Bailey in that role seeing he like to take the game on.

Could be 1-6 in a few weeks - need everyone to lift and magnets need a shuffle and Fages can't babysit them anymore they need a rocket up their ****!!!!! Corporate box was nice though and Pies fans well behaved in our area - very respectful!

I can't accept the contention that our guys weren't giving it everything tonight.

We "won" nearly all the stats, including Inside 50's but again, blew many scoring opportunities with wayward kicking on goal

However, collectively the team is just out of form and looks down on confidence.

Daniher and Hipwood looked like they had hands made of concrete, although there was interference several times in marking contests that the umps chose to ignore. There was one instance in the last quarter where Hipwood was in the process of attempting to control a juggling mark but got a blatant shove in the back so had no opportunity to do so. Play on?

I thought the umpiring sucked overall.

From 14-all free kicks at half time, the Pies got 16-6 in the second half. How many HTB frees did they pluck to Collingwood in that second half?.....it just seemed like one way traffic. Stacks on the mill and a Lions player on the bottom of the pack......free kick Collingwood.

That said, we were our own worst enemies and probably got what we deserved in the end.

One last thing....can the Rayner haters please give it a break? I thought he was bloody good tonight, as was Lester who never seems to get flustered in tight situations, has great anticipation and spatial awareness AND gets a bad wrap for being "slow" when he actually shows decent pace when he has too.

I'm depressed as anyone else here but the constant carping and negativity just makes it worse.

And for Chrissakes, can we give the "Sack Fagan" thing a rest too. That man has taken us from a total rabble to a serious football team. It seems ro me that we need to look at the bigger picture instead of looking for scapegoats every time we have a loss.

0-3 is a terrible start but it's a long season and I'm not prepared to write us of at this early point.

Get a win on the board next week and things can turn around pretty quickly.

Who was that guy that said "Things are never as good or bad as they seem"?

So how long do we have to wait before we can discuss the inevitability of Fagan going and how to manage that process. End of the season? Bottom four?

Seems as though the hardcore Faganistas are willing to die in the jungle rather than admit Fagan is close to the end of coaching us.

Hypothetically, even if we somehow beat North Melbourne by over 100 points next week that won't redeem these 3 losses, it's going to take a streak of wins to restore some faith in this group in my mind.

Last edited:
Norf will beat us comfortably
Going off the trend we've set so far this season we'll only play 1 good quarter...again. The remainder of the game we'll be flat and 2nd to the ball at every contest, our mids will bomb it inside 50 and our forwards will play behind their man trying to take mark of the year and dropping it only for the opposition defenders to easily transition the ball out of defence.

It’s weird, usually I’m super excited about the season starting and any upcoming games. I was a bit meh coming into this season. Kiddy injury put a fork in any enthusiasm I did have.

Now I’m just looking to see if we can unearth a player or two this season as we know what we have with the current squad playing week in week out.

Agree with your post but the above stood out to me.....The blaming of Fagan is a cop out imo.....it wasn't Fagan who had "concrete hands" tonight....it wasn't Fagan who handballed to a player surrounded by the opposition...It wasn't Fagan who kicked straight to the opposition....and it wasn't Fagan who made silly/slow decisions and got caught..or fumbled with the ball and stuffed up to the point my blood pressure must've been sky high..

Yes, quite a few of the players need a damn good kick up the backside, particularly Mr so cool, gum chewing Daniher and his mate Eric..

We have the talent but they are too comfortable atm and need a reality check.

I hope the media give us the same as the Pies got. Not sure that will happen though. Not a Vic team.

Hypothetically, even if we somehow beat North Melbourne by over 100 points next week that won't redeem these 3 losses, it's going to take a streak of wins to restore some faith in this group in my mind.
Yep in my mind the only way if this is redeemed is that we beat North and then Cats at home followed by back to back away wins against Dee’s and Giants but in all seriousness I see us easily being 1 and 6 heading into our eighth game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just feels like we have gone back to the well only to find the well is a little too dry at the moment. There was a need to change some things over the off season. The only change seemed to be experimenting with Gardiner in the forward line. Our midfield is shallow and slow, there was no effort to try and discover a new mid from the list eg. Starce, Tunstill, Coleman, McKenna or Madden.

Rayner and Bailey are pure forwards, neither have the long defensive running to play midfield. Bother Rayner and Bailey are damaging forwards capable of explosive defensive pressure, team that with Charlie, Linc and potentially Lohman and Zorko we have the opportunity to run an extremely chaotic forward line that thrives on quick movement. Eric Hipwood needs a month in the 2s, i can't understand Fagan's apprehension in sending players back to the seconds to build confidence. Last night we held the ball up so much when we had one on one's in our forward line. This worked into Collingwood's favour. Just killed our transition footy.

I had Mason Cox as their most damaging player, he moved the Big O and Fort off the line of the footy so easily. They feasted on how soft our rucks were. This is a really big issue and needs to be addressed, be it with selection or some between the eyes feedback.

We can't paper over the cracks that were obvious grand final day and over the last 3 weeks. We have a massive issue with competitiveness forward of the football, defensive midfield run and midfield depth. All needs to be addressed!

Ima be honest. Collingwood were $3.05 and we named an extra tall when it'd rained all week. I put a few bucks on the Pies to win.
Same here. Money for jam. Team is full of lazy heros. Kept telling people all week we are cooked but no one believed me. Losing the GF was the full stop on the last 5 years that I knew it would be.

Just feels like we have gone back to the well only to find the well is a little too dry at the moment. There was a need to change some things over the off season. The only change seemed to be experimenting with Gardiner in the forward line. Our midfield is shallow and slow, there was no effort to try and discover a new mid from the list eg. Starce, Tunstill, Coleman, McKenna or Madden.

Rayner and Bailey are pure forwards, neither have the long defensive running to play midfield. Bother Rayner and Bailey are damaging forwards capable of explosive defensive pressure, team that with Charlie, Linc and potentially Lohman and Zorko we have the opportunity to run an extremely chaotic forward line that thrives on quick movement. Eric Hipwood needs a month in the 2s, i can't understand Fagan's apprehension in sending players back to the seconds to build confidence. Last night we held the ball up so much when we had one on one's in our forward line. This worked into Collingwood's favour. Just killed our transition footy.

I had Mason Cox as their most damaging player, he moved the Big O and Fort off the line of the footy so easily. They feasted on how soft our rucks were. This is a really big issue and needs to be addressed, be it with selection or some between the eyes feedback.

We can't paper over the cracks that were obvious grand final day and over the last 3 weeks. We have a massive issue with competitiveness forward of the football, defensive midfield run and midfield depth. All needs to be addressed!
Not to mention this constant over hand balling which Fagan himself said we were going to do with this fast ball movements it hasn’t worked at all.

Same here. Money for jam. Team is full of lazy heros. Kept telling people all week we are cooked but no one believed me. Losing the GF was the full stop on the last 5 years that I knew it would be.
You could see it a mile off that we were done after last year. Said it in the off season and that we’d lose to Dockers and Pies and I’m the one being negative. It’s about facing reality that many back slappers here, Facebook and the roar deal crew won’t. God forbid coming to the realisation many have been saying for months and being shot down accordingly.

Remember when Fagan has been saying all off season we won’t be one of those losing grand finalists that meekly float off to obscurity the following year. Cool story Fages.

I don’t know what was going on last night but there were quite a few times where we had some quick ball movement, took a mark about 70m out and could’ve turned and got it in quick to one on ones (Charlie etc), but for reasons unknown we hesitated and waited for them to get numbers (particularly Moore) back to kill the ball.

Slow ball movement just kills you in the modern game.

Ok. We lost but The Maggots are not a bad side, last years Grand final winners and a possible top 8 side this year. Pressure out their is at another level with a sell out crowd and a pile of uneducated loud Collingwood supporters.We just did not score enough points or the harder to find GOALS .WOW the glory days of an inspirational marking forward spine of Lynch or Brown and the smaller forward that had an art of crumbing the packs and goal sneaks instead of the hope for mark of the year seems to have faded away. Our forward coaching and plan with the cattle we have is frustrating. Easy possessions way up the ground from our spine and half forwards with no presence in the forward lines and no inspirations ( aka Carlton and McKay and King Charlie). Eric is light and runs around like a chook up and down and around the ground even up to half back yes he opens up the line and draws his tall with him but could be more effective running at the ball in front with his pace as a leading full forward. JOE needs to be that tall that marks or brings the ball to ground so it’s a dog fight. Bailey is a forward he plays this position well. McCarthy another wider marking option . Charlie needs get back to crumbing bend your back down. Next week against a pacer younger opposition is a chance to get our tackling up to scratch’s remember Robbie Copeland, non a flashie player but his tackling was awesome they stayed tackled it’s technique.. The difference between VFL and AFL IS HUGE . Whilst we may not have any natural out and out stars in the VFL we surely have to give a few a go to see how they measure up.
Go get em lions .

1711664802110.png

Collingwood supporters laughing at us really hurts, but we have become massive down hill skiers under Fagan. It is one thing to get beaten because you don’t have the list to compete, quite another to be out-coached every week and to watch players put in half hearted performances because they know they are going go to be selected by Fagan all season, because he doesn’t have the courage to drop them.

Interested in peoples feedback who were at the game. Joey's game against freo i thought was one of his very good games. Seemed to be getting the ball up the wing and around half forward and looks better IMO when able to roam the ground abit and get his 15-20 disposals. With Fort coming in last night did the role of Joey pushing up the ground and time in ruck change? Hard to notice on TV here in Melbourne.

Back