Review Round 3 - GWS Giants vs St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Great crowd last night (satisfying to beat the Raiders, can't wait for Monday back in the office), but an awful game to watch. Last year when we were thrashed every week you could at least count on effort and run. Did we lay a single tackle all night? Agree with other posters re: our rucks. This should realistically be our number 1 recruiting priority, not Franklin.

Not sure if our zones are adequate, or if our players just weren't adhering to them, but Saints had FAR too many easy kicks to players in open space throughout the night.

Shattered about Patton, and beginning to wonder if maybe knees are going to be a recurring issue for him. I really hope not.

Thankfully we have the bye next week and should record our first win of the season.

From the press conference it looks like Sheedy will be making a few changes (some forced due to Patton's injury). Should have made those changes this week, but I guess team stability is a good thing to aim for.

My guess is Frost, Setanta or Haynes in for Patton. Hampton out for some practice in the NEAFL, and some of the new recruits (whitfield and plowman) given a break for Miles and Corr. Maybe Jaksch might get a run also.

My thoughts on the Manuka game experience (as a neutral) - I won't comment on GWS play and match style, as others have contributed enough already.

1. GA sold out by about 3pm. Not happy that my AFL membership did not work and I could not "upsell" my ticket and buy a reserved seat. Had to pay the full $48 which is a lot of money. I think they need to lower their prices a tad. Its cheaper to watch footy at MCG or Etihad and you get a much better stadium - but admittedly I did seat 3 rows from the front
2. The cut the saints song in half when they ran through the banner. And then they did not even play the Giants song? Either way, need to improve the PA system.
3. Ahmed Saad takes waaaay too long to kick a goal - but is a dead eye dick so I can see why he may not want to change his routine.
4. GWS well looked after by the umpires - something like twice the free kicks. Saints fans around me not happy
5. 5 bucks for a pie!?
6. Lights look awesome. The ground will look even better once they finish the redevelopment and put seats all around and roof over the uncovered seats. 20k will serve them well once they start winning and bringing bigger crowds in (hopefully against bigger drawing opposition).
7. Crowd was good. Raiders not happy. Duly noted by the Canberra times: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/giants-show-up-raiders-20130413-2ht3b.html
8. Loved the kick the footy after the siren. We stayed on there till they kicked us off! Hey, needed to get some value from the $48!

Cant wait till the Giants become half decent (was at the game last year when they beat the GC Suns - crowd went off - imagine a full house in the future when they beat an Essendon or a Carlton - I know they probably wont play them at Manuka but still...)

1. Footy in Qld/NSW is way too pricey compared to the others. It's always struck me as funny, although at least the Manuka game was a sell out.
5. How much do you usually pay for a pie at any kind of footy? I'm used to painful prices ($5 for a pie is about par for the course) at ANZ, Skoda and Bluetongue.

I'm assuming you're a Victorian ex-pat? I've never been to the footy outside of Qld/NSW so am genuinely curious.

1. Footy in Qld/NSW is way too pricey compared to the others. It's always struck me as funny, although at least the Manuka game was a sell out.
5. How much do you usually pay for a pie at any kind of footy? I'm used to painful prices ($5 for a pie is about par for the course) at ANZ, Skoda and Bluetongue.

I'm assuming you're a Victorian ex-pat? I've never been to the footy outside of Qld/NSW so am genuinely curious.

Wasn't quite a sellout. GA and bronze was gone, but when I bought there were still some silver and gold left. Manuka holds close to 15k as is but either way it was a very good crowd.

Yes I am an ex-pat - and its funny you say you have never been to a game outside the QLD/NSW. We also had an expat queenslander with us who had never been to a game before - and I say to you what I said to her: (in the words of Molly Meldrum), do yourself a favour and go watch a CollvRichvHawvCarvGeelvEss game at the MCG with 80k (or alterantively a derby/showdown in Perth and Adelaide), and then you will realise what a true game of Aussie rules at AFL standard is all about). Manuka was nice, but it reminded me of the old suburban ovals we used to have and we have progressed so much as a professional league since those days.

PS. Pie could well cost $5 now in Melbourne I wouldn't know as I haven't been to a game there for a few years now.

It's one of those weird coincidences that I'm never in Melbourne in footy season. The closest I've been was an almost attendance at the Saints v Lions preseason game a few years back when the monstrous hailstorm hit, there was localized flooding and part of Etihad's roof collapsed.

Let's just say I holed up in my hotel room instead. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back