Review Round 3 - GWS Giants vs St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Should've made a FA play for Goddard. Need a
General on the backline badly. Plus another number 1 pick for the collection! But completely agree that a KPD in the mould of glass/mcpharlin is a dire need. Naitanui would be the cream to complete our star studded midield of the future. Operation KPD and operation get NN needs to commence!!!

I know im bashing hampton but the look away handball after intercepting a handpass heading to a team mate and looking at an inside 50 resulting in a goal to montaga is the last straw, He needs to go. he has no idea.
PLEASE SACK HIM NOW

take away the first qtr and we have been OK... not brilliant but ok......at least still showimg some fight.

Pretty much. That said, Dylan Shiel needs to be sat down and have the facts of professional sport explained ie just win baby, and dont piss off the other side.
This

Agreed putting aside a very, very poor 1st quarter the rest of the game was just bearable. In that first quarter we looked completely disinterested, through the whole of the game we constantly looked somewhat disinterested and too disorganised. The structures seem to fail even before we become 'tired' at the end of each quarter. Patton and Smith would seem to be having enforced spells (hope for Patton's own sake it is not serious, he really has worked so hard to catch up the rest of the squad) and prove his high ranking.

Agree that Hampton needs a spell in the 2nd's to learn to do the basics well all the time. If Brogan is to play then make it as a permanent forward pocket/resting ruckman. The Irishman could come in as the second 'around the ground' big-guy. As for any other changes based upon my last lamentable predictions I'll pass except to say, that if we come with the same determination, effort and FOOtBALL SENSE we showed against the Swans we maybe a chance next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just back to the hotel after the game. Some impressions.

Love the lights at Manuka.

11,091 is a great crowd - particularly when the Raiders have a winnable game at Bruce at the same time.

Curtley Hampton needs to spend some time in the NEAFL.

Brogan (despite two goals) is too old and too slow.

Razor Ray is the worst umpire in the game.

The Umpires MUST do something about Ahmed Saad. His quickest set shot was 44 seconds. Beyond a joke.

When the bounce of the ball doesn't go your way, it is not going to be your night. It didn't matter who fumbled it, off what pack it came, how much pressure was applied, 90% of the time it wound up in a St Kilda players hands.

If there was a stat of "taps to disadvantage" we would be streaking the league in it.

We played better this week than last, yet lost by a bigger margin.

I really hope Patton is OK but it didn't look good.

We still have to f#%#ing Man Up. Take an opponent and be responsible.

Jeremy Cameron can never again line up in the defensive fifty at the bounce of a ball.

St Kilda are the worst snipers who throw the cheapest shots behind play in the game.

At least we a not Melbourne.

Hi Giants, can't find the answer anywhere so plz excuse the intrusion, I would like to know what the yellow plus sign is on the guernsey, does it have something to do with Canberra?

Hi Giants, can't find the answer anywhere so plz excuse the intrusion, I would like to know what the yellow plus sign is on the guernsey, does it have something to do with Canberra?

Here you go:

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS will play in a special jumper this weekend against St Kilda as part of the Centenary of Canberra celebrations.

Saturday’s match at Manuka Oval is the first of three GIANTS home games to be played in Canberra this year, the 100th birthday of the nation’s capital.

The Centenary of Canberra match will be the first contest played for premiership points under the new lights at Manuka Oval, and the GIANTS will mark the occasion by adding a touch of ACT Gold to their playing jumper.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-04-09/giants-add-gold-for-canberra

Not a plus sign, but a stylized Telstra Tower, a prominent landmark in Canberra. It is part of the guernsey design whenever we play here.

Tonight it was Yellow, as were the goal umpires flags, as part of the centenary of Canberra celebrations. The Brumbies have worn a yellow jumper, the Raiders will at some point, the Capitals (WNBL) the Cavalry (Baseball) are all wearing a one off yellow (or yellow in part) jumpers/uniforms at some stage this year.

The yellow Telstra tower on tonight's guernsey was all part of that.

Not a plus sign, but a stylized Telstra Tower, a prominent landmark in Canberra. It is part of the guernsey design whenever we play here.

Tonight it was Yellow, as were the goal umpires flags, as part of the centenary of Canberra celebrations. The Brumbies have worn a yellow jumper, the Raiders will at some point, the Capitals (WNBL) the Cavalry (Baseball) are all wearing a one off yellow (or yellow in part) jumpers/uniforms at some stage this year.

The yellow Telstra tower on tonight's guernsey was all part of that.
Cheers for that, so next time they'll go back to an orange " Telstra Tower"? Btw are u sponsored by Telstra?

Pretty much. That said, Dylan Shiel needs to be sat down and have the facts of professional sport explained ie just win baby, and dont piss off the other side.

As part of Shiel's lesson, it was obvious yesterday that the Saints players were going harder for him and taking the opportunity, to point out life facts out to him, throughout the game. But most disappointing was Shiels lack of gut running. A number of occasions when Armitage ran to space and Shiel should have run to cover and he didn't.

Sheedy realised Shiel provided motivation to St Kilda and it is unlikely that will happen again, in the near future. But more to the point, you would think that GWS coaching staff, will use games like this, to show Shiel and others what is needed from your runners to play at the highest level.

So sorry about the injury to Patton. That is a terrible blow for both him and the club. Hopefully a full recovery to him.

I know im bashing hampton but the look away handball after intercepting a handpass heading to a team mate and looking at an inside 50 resulting in a goal to montaga is the last straw, He needs to go. he has no idea.
PLEASE SACK HIM NOW

After tonight's display I handed in my last Curtly defences and join the others in pointing to a spell in the NEAFL. Yes he's can take a confident defensive mark, yes he has pace but he needs to learn to think.

I also agree with the post about our ruckmen. Something was not working tonight - we get the tap out but to a Saints player, Giles misses two set shots he should have made, Brogan showing his age...

Is Phillips still injured? Frost played well preseason (although this game confirmed that the preseason and the real season are two very different things) so surely surely surely we have someone who can step up?

Cheers for that, so next time they'll go back to an orange " Telstra Tower"? Btw are u sponsored by Telstra?

Not sponsored by them, but it is a bit like the swans with their opera house at the base of the V, it's symbolic and iconic of the city. The other shortlisted jumper design IIRC had a Parliament House flagpole on it. Both would have worked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back