Preview Round 3 MCG 7.40pm 18 June 2020. Reigning Premier Versus Third Level Laughing Stock and AFL Imposters, AKA Richmond V Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was petty, arrogant, bitchy, borderline abusive and I loved it.

Please do better next time and post to the Hawks board.

Dimma’s gonna steal this and use it as his inspiring speech on Thursday night.

Apologies for needing to be prompted, but now done. 😂

Predict my ban....

Richmond at the MCG with Hawthorn coming off a 6 day break. Lord give me strength. :$

F

Omeara back

Will be close

The official reason given at the time was the VFL saw them as a way of expanding into the Eastern suburbs. So Hawthorn were a geographical expansion club, similar to GWS, except the latter had only about 4 shocking years where the Hawks had about 90 before they even threatened mediocrity.

The real reason? Who could know for sure, but the main possibilities are blackmail(cameras had been invented and were in relatively common use by 1925,) bribery, someone switching the paperwork to rob some poor club like Port Melbourne or Williamstown or West Melbourne of their chance in the big time, or a drunk official did it for a joke. There is no other possible reason. They were sh1t.

I suspect a possible combination of all four.

Expansion club...LMAO...gold :thumbsu:

Dude, he had a magic wand. And he was gonna unRichmond Tyrone.
Yeah how’d that go for him??

You will like this cb... I got butler 2+ goals on the weekend @ $8..
Little disappointing we couldn’t keep him because * me he’s in saints top 5 players!

Little disappointing we couldn’t keep him because fu** me he’s in saints top 5 players!

Sam Lloyd's better.

I'm just happy that of all the clubs to get one of our squeezed-out players, it was Essendon that got the worst one. Suck a dick Dodorro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the Real Hawthorn?

In 1908 Richmond were elevated to the then VFL on the basis of powerful performances, having won two VFA premierships in the preceding handful of years. How many VFA Premierships had Hawthorn won when it was elevated to the then VFL in 1925? Surely by then they would have had time to accumulate half a dozen or so? Footscray and North Melbourne were elevated with them and had by then won 9 and 6 VFA Premierships respectively and were rightly elevated. So who was the third team to win promotion with them? Well, Port Melbourne had won 3 VFA Premierships. Williamstown 2. The Essendon Dreadnoughts of all clubs had won two. The poor sorry Dreadnoughts whose home ground was stolen from them by the drug cheats. Brunswick and West Melbourne had even chimed in for one each. West Melbourne! So surely the Hawks had won a good handful of flags to warrant promotion ahead of that list of well performed clubs? Er, well.......no. They had not won a VFA Premiership. Oh, ok, so they must have made a lot of Grand Finals and come up just short, you know, sort of like a VFA version of #pieshaveinjuries? Well, hmmmm....no, not exactly. They had only one finals appearance in 11 sorry seasons, and had not made a single Grand Final. But wait, surely they had a storied history prior to entering the VFA in 1914, winning their way to that competition by smashing it in some suburban league? Well, once again, not exactly. In their 40+ previous seasons bumming around in what amounted to the Hawthorn District League they had celebrated precisely zero premierships. Zilch. So they were imposters in the Hawthorn District League, complete imposters in the VFA, complete and utter imposters in the VFL and wtf they are even doing in the AFL is anyone’s guess.

Lovely work MR👏

For most of 1924 there was speculation about admitting more Clubs, to increase from the 9 Clubs playing already. Proposals were received from Brighton, Brunswick, Camberwell, Caulfield, Footscray, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Prahran Football Clubs. Footscray were the VFA premiers of 1924 and they beat VFL Premier Essendon in a special 'Championship of Victoria' charity match a week after the 1924 finals.

The short list on January 9th, 1925 was Footscray, Hawthorn and Prahran. Back in 1907, we, the mighty Richmond Football Club had kept North Melbourne out by a whisker. North also failed in 1921 (sound familiar anyone?) Every time North failed, they incurred the wrath of the VFA, so they were a little uneasy in 1925. After much deliberation, North replaced Prahran on the list and became a VFL team finally.

It is still hard to imagine that Prahran missed by a whisker, and could have been a VFL team. Easily a better looking jumper than the toilet bowl jumper of Hawthorn.

Hawthorn finished last, then second last, then last again, then overachieved and finished last again with no wins. In fact the old Mayblooms (got a love a good girly name) were perpetual cellar dwellers right up until the 50's, when they yo-yo'd a bit from bottom to mid ladder, and finally in 1957 they made the finals for the first friggen time (just finals!) - 32 years of absolute perpetual mediocrity. Well done VFL officials, you overlooked Prahran, Camberwell, Brunswick, and even grubby ol Caulfield, who could have been better in that period of time!

Last edited:
Dan Rioli is pretty protected honestly he and stack would be neck and neck for being dropped but dimma loves him so I bet he stays
Maybe he is, but you know he could also be doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. It’s been said by multiple sources now that Rioli’s job is never going to get the plaudits from the fans, but the coaches love him for what he does.

Little disappointing we couldn’t keep him because fu** me he’s in saints top 5 players!

Good work. I had 2 9 leg multis for last weekend. The draw on Thursday night threw both under the bus :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully nothing serious

Richmond spearhead Tom Lynch could be racing the clock to play on Thursday night.
The forward was forced to have scans yesterday, with reports he has suffered a low grade bone stress complaint in his ankle.

Lynch, 27, is set to address the media in the next 15 minutes where it is expected he will give an update on the injury.

Richmond faces Hawthorn at the MCG on Thursday night.

Maybe he is, but you know he could also be doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. It’s been said by multiple sources now that Rioli’s job is never going to get the plaudits from the fans, but the coaches love him for what he does.
Mostly talking the game against the pies he had 6 disposals and 2 tackles which I don’t see as being enough

However he was second for pressure acts in our side with 20

Meatball was first with 26 and 5 tackles

Just comparing him to shai

11 disposals 6 tackles 1 goal 19 pressure acts

Rioli 6 disposals 2 tackles 20 pressure acts

Is Daniels one pressure act more really worth more then 5 disposals 4 tackles and a goal?

Even dusty managed 18 pressure acts so 2 less than Rioli and also managed double his tackles while getting 20 touches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back