Preview Round 3 v Sydney MCG Sunday March 31st 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we play two blokes that basically just punch the ball? Not sure...
Miller offers more with ball in hand than Young. I'd play both ahead of Grimes right now but we know that won't happen.

Since Preseason, selection has been basically the established 22 from last year. Plus new players to the club for opening round. Yze is pulling some good changes in game. For 3 losses and another 2 to follow. we're looking like bottom 4 team. Pressure rating an all time low. poor football skills across the ground.

Football: just too many stats. Sadly the scoreboard is ignored.

I'm seeing a team that is either not starting well and/or not running out games. Injury has, again been the opportunity for depth players. Its been great to see some depth. Shame Tresize got injured. Lynch looks a month away from match fitness. Dusty not involved for long enough.

I presume Miller stays IN, I hope Sonsie comes IN. Dow and Banks probably lose their spot. Don't know if we need Naismith.
Nanks record against Grundy is poor. Expect Naismith to play. Only question is will he replace Lafau or will Nank be a late out

This his 6th season. If he's been playing good for the past 2 seasons, then that means....that it took him to find his form? Automatic impact is a bit strong. He had some decent games and some games he did nothing.

And that's some revisionist history too about those guys being any different from Ross at the start of their careers. Maurice Rioli absolutely had an instant impact when he came in, more than Ross did in his first 2 years at Richmond for sure. He had a poor 2023, but his 2022 was quite promising with his relentless pressure to go along with some impact with the ball too.
Mansell before his bs suspension last year looked to be settling into his spot to the point where is was an actual loss when he got suspended.

MRJ comes in because our pressure has been so poor that bringing in someone with his attitude to chasing is needed, even if he has provided little to nothing with the ball. Attitude is important and I guess the hope is he can find some way to impact with the ball too.

Clearly they have shown something, which is why they are getting played. Attitude is important, knowing the gameplay is important, playing your position is important, defensive running is important. There's way more into it than just what supporters can see. We might watch a game and think wow Cumberland kicked 3 goals and looked dangerous, but the team watching the tape sees he's not defensively running with his man which destroyed our defensive gameplay and made him a net negative overall. He gets dropped and told to work on that part of his game but all supporters see is a guy that kicked 3 goals getting dropped and wonder why.

Team selection isn't always right, but its silly to think now 3 different head coaches have all just decided to pick certain players for 0 reason.
And how have we been going for past year and a bit.

Not revising history, Ross was very good in hard position, centre midfielder. It was the coaches that turned him into a half back, then a half forward, then a wingman. He did well in the later two positions, but even when he was going well on the wing last season he was dropped with a lucky reprieve. He was in our best few end of '22 and the final against Brisbane across half forward, Rioli and Mansell have done nothing in comparison in the same position.

Rioli showed a bit in his first few games, and yes he was Hardwicked and turned into a keplie chasing sheep. Mansell was the luckiest player in our side last year, average in most games with an occasional pass. So far the same this year, good game last week.

If chasing and harassing is so important, why are we the only side in the league that does it. The same applies with Cumberland. Hardwick's defensive running to defensive positioning was nonsense by the end. Cumberland had 8 tackles in a game last season and still needed to improve his this or that. Kicks 6 in the VFL and still no good.

We are heading to the bottom 4 if we don't do something, but you seem stuck in the belief that these players who have brought us no success of late are suddenly going to turn it around.

It is round 4, so it is early in the season to be dropping everything and starting again. The coaches have their ideas and plans and they should stick to them, for a while, but some hard calls will have to be made soon I would think.

If chasing and harassing is so important, why are we the only side in the league that does it.
We're not doing it. That's the problem. We used to do it. Sides used to be under constant pressure all the time against us. Now, all we seem to do is run to guard space and then get picked apart by even the crap teams.

Grimes tried hard last week and was good considering the way the ball came in from the PA midfield but I think Miller was better. Miller and Young should both play and the choice should be between Grimes and Broad
Yes. Should be, but won't be.

Miller offers more with ball in hand than Young. I'd play both ahead of Grimes right now but we know that won't happen.
I think Young has the ability to be more attacking if Miller plays the shutdown role. He started to go for his marks towards the end of last year. Obviously if Balta is in defence Young has to play the shutdown role

Where are the Meehan defenders? This bloke has been a blight on this club ever since he took the reigns as head of strength and conditioning.
People like to make excuses for him but time and time again we see injury mismanagement.

I'm over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta absent from training, and Bauer left the track early :S

Yze also mentioned Grimes is a bit sore and Broad not certain to be back.

music video loop GIF

Balta absent from training, and Bauer left the track early :S

Yze also mentioned Grimes is a bit sore and Broad not certain to be back.
how does louie still have a gig ?

weve been sore for 2 years now

I think Young has the ability to be more attacking if Miller plays the shutdown role. He started to go for his marks towards the end of last year. Obviously if Balta is in defence Young has to play the shutdown role
TBH when there's multiple threatening KPFs with unpressured delivery, our KPDs are struggling to win their match up. Forget the attack.

Round zero the few kicks Young got he turned it over.

Ground zero was 2 KPD and Grimes & Broad. this week Brown has kept his spot so it'd be Miller OUT. Yze has Young ahead of Miller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back