Game Day Round 4 vs. Hawthorn, Adelaide Oval, 5:10pm Sun 07/04 (Gather Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the solution to the Hawthorn problem next week. Please, please, please put a stopper on Sicily. Not only does it frustrate the hell out of him, it stems their ball movement. Can't let him have 37 touches and 14 marks again. Where is Tyson Goldsack when you need him!!!

Not sure who does the role, but it needs to be done. An on fire Sicily gives them confidence they can win.
Billy Framptom is in form , if he can hold Andrew’s in GF & Joe last night to a goal, surly he can handle the dirty
“ kicker “ Sicily 🙂

The guy is a scrub. All he does is tag he literally can't get his hands on the ball.

I’m not sure I was suggesting otherwise?

The best way to “beat” a tag that you can’t beat through the middle is to turn them into a defender and isolate them

I’m not sure I was suggesting otherwise?

The best way to “beat” a tag that you can’t beat through the middle is to turn them into a defender and isolate them

Just expressing my hatred of taggers who just scrag and don't even bother trying to get the ball.

Btw I agree with you. Put Nick forward and he'll start crapping himself.

I would tend to agree with you if Fin showed any elite traits or X-factor but to my eye he is as vanilla as vanilla gets.

On the 15 occasions Fin has been selected since his 2021 debut, he has done nothing to earn the block of games that you, Jen and others want to gift him.

Let’s see what Sullivan, Bytel, Allan and DeMattia can do. Perhaps one or more of them will grab their opportunity much more quickly and decisively?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s never had a block of games ( best is the last four rounds of 2021 when the season was going through its death rattle) and played many games as sub

Don't think there will be any real changes. Given there is no VFL game next week, fly talks about backing players in, so reckon Fin should still play --otherwise he doesn't play for 2 weeks. He'll want to redeem himself and going up against the hawks mids would probably be more his style.
We have a bye 2 weeks in to the season? What the hell?

We have a bye 2 weeks in to the season? What the hell?
Gather round with the fact there is a VFL v SA state game, they decided there would be no VFL games...

Which is stupid as only a select few players will play in the state game. So you have your afl team playing, but no VFL games for any club. Bonkers.

Just one change for me.

OUT: Hoskin-Elliott
IN: Sidebottom

Macrae should get another shot against a lesser midfield. If he struggles again, back to the VFL for a very strong performing Sullivan.

Crisp as sub again for me. Super flexible and added a real injection of run

For the couple of good things Wilbur did in the last, his skill errors throughout were pox.
Sorry, WHE. You are out. Like for like, if form is good, Allen in.
Give McCrae another crack.
We would like to get Nick back on ball. To do so, he needs to be replaced by a good half back. Sidebottom plays a couple of weeks in VFL to be reprogrammed into a HBF.
The only one there that could be dropped is Macrae, but I would give him another game against a young Hawks outfit. It’s tough going against McInerny, Neale and Berry!

Pendles may have a forced week off, I’d be looking to bring Sullivan in at the first opportunity. We need to get more clearances.

Crisp deserves his spot back as well.

Just one change for me.

Macrae should get another shot against a lesser midfield. If he struggles again, back to the VFL for a very strong performing Sullivan.

This is possible given if Nick plays half back again and you have noble down there. WHE just filled in sideys spot on the wing. So it’ll be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just one change for me.

i'd bring in Sidey - give Lipinski a week off - and he'd slot into the high HFF link role

Sidey is way more dangerous around goals and as good an endurance athlete

also gives you more flexibility with WHE able to play wing, back & forward

Sidey able to play forward, wing & come up to stoppage as +1

Last edited:
Bro, I just don't think he's up to it. You have to earn continuity. You need to grab your chance when you get it and he didn't. We have better players waiting atm. I think Sullivan and Bytel might be just ahead of him
You don’t build confidence in kids by dropping him - he needs a sustained run. Unlike AJ his body language and work rate is not the issue, so we need to persist.
Sullivan and Bytel can wait - there’s no rush to give them game time.

You don’t build confidence in kids by dropping him - he needs a sustained run. Unlike AJ his body language and work rate is not the issue, so we need to persist.
Bytel is a long way off getting a game. Sullivan not so much. Given that Macrae was subbed so early and his replacement had an immediate impact on the game, I'd be happy to see him swapped with Sullivan, but if there is an insistence on giving Macrae more than a single game to show he can play, then give it to him, but show no mercy the following week if he again fails to perform.

Why do we have to persist though Spinny? What is our goal this year? Is it not to win the flag? We pick our best team to do that, to scrape every ounce of what remains of pendles, sidey and co.

Macraes development doesn’t trump winning games.

He’s contracted till the end of next year.

The facts are the match committee didn’t think he warranted playing a full game and was sub the first 2 games.

He then played a full game and was poor. It doesn’t scream play him.

Why do we have to persist though Spinny? What is our goal this year? Is it not to win the flag? We pick our best team to do that, to scrape every ounce of what remains of pendles, sidey and co.

Simple - it’s all about development.
He had a great preseason filling us all with optimism and the club that he’d step up.
Is it really fair to dump him after only 38% game time?

We need to back the kid and retain the belief of the preseason.

i'd bring in Sidey - give Lipinski a week off - and he'd slot into the high HFF link role

Sidey is way more dangerous around goals and as good an endurance athlete

also gives you more flexibility with WHE able to play wing, back & forward

Sidey able to play forward, wing & come up to stoppage as +1
I'd be fine with either Lipinski or WHE out for Sidebottom, just think it is more likely to be WHE

The facts are the match committee didn’t think he warranted playing a full game and was sub the first 2 games.

He then played a full game and was poor. It doesn’t scream play him.
Purely based off stats p/mins played ...

Player >> Fantasy Points >> Disp >> Pressure Acts >> TOG

JDGoey >> 52 >> 18 >> 16 >> 112 mins
Schultz >> 48 >> 9 >> 23 >> 115 mins
WHoskE >> 43 >>12 > 10 >> 120 mins
Camer'n >> 33 >> 4 > 11 >> 80 mins + 17 HO's
Macrae >> 31 >> 6 >> 8 >> 50 mins
Moore >> 31 >> 6 >> 14 >> 124 mins
McInn >> 30 >> 4 >> 14 >> 99 mins + 1 goal

Last edited:
I'm happy to accept that I might well be wrong and whereas I thought bringing in Macrae for a full game against this particular away opponent wasn't setting him up for success, perhaps Fly feared he mightn't be up to the level and had hoped by easing him in as the sub over the last 2 weeks and giving him a taste it would aid him.

As someone who has been open to the possibility of him still becoming a senior regular in his 4th season I must say I was shocked by just how much he appeared to struggle with the pace of the game Thursday night.

He looked rushed the few times he got the ball and struggled to defend opposition transition when the ball got out into space.

So far this season every player subbed out of the game has missed the following week and I feel he's in real danger of being the next one.

Simple - it’s all about development.
He had a great preseason filling us all with optimism and the club that he’d step up.
Is it really fair to dump him after only 38% game time?

We need to back the kid and retain the belief of the preseason.

Macrae was on the field for more than 70% game time before he was subbed, then obviously 0% after that. The 38% figure you’re referencing was over the whole match. He was on the field for 50 mins in total for six possessions, of which only three reached a teammate. They’re horrible numbers for a centre square mid by any measure.

We would have lost the match if he hadn’t been replaced by Crisp.

Time to give Sullivan a go, followed by Allan and DiMattia until we find one who can actually play at the required level in the centre square.

Macrae was on the field for more than 70% game time before he was subbed, then obviously 0% after that. The 38% figure you’re referencing was over the whole match. He was on the field for 50 mins in total for six possessions, of which only three reached a teammate. They’re horrible numbers for a centre square mid by any measure.

We would have lost the match if he hadn’t been replaced by Crisp.

Time to give Sullivan a go, followed by Allan and DiMattia until we find one who can actually play at the required level in the centre square.

He was off the ground for more than 60% of the time - fact!!!!
His indifferent performance is not a reason to stop persisting.
Let’s play him closer to 100% TOG over several week before making a decisions.
No ones helping development dropping a kid after only 38% game time in a single game.

He was off the ground for more than 60% of the time - fact!!!!
His indifferent performance is not a reason to stop persisting.
Let’s play him closer to 100% TOG over several week before making a decisions.
No ones helping development dropping a kid after only 38% game time in a single game.
If the grand final was tomorrow and we were playing, would you play macrae? honest question, because atm as the reigning premiers every game is a grand final, especially sitting 1/3 where we can’t afford any more mistakes.
Up until we are out of the running for the flag, play the kids sits secondary.

Next year this discussion for me would be different, or if our results come mid season means we are out of the running. Until then it’s best available to fill each role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back