Review Round 5, 2020 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

All of Hipwood marks were on the lead..not pack marks. I can’t recall Oscar taking a pack mark, and McStay is not massive and he just outplayed mckenzie. They got lucky with some arsey clearances and some good kicks to blokes in front.

I’m not totally disagreeing REH I’m just saying it can work if ya mids at least break even. It works for teams with a midfield group that doesn’t get spanked.
Clurey started on McStay and was led a merry dance in the first quarter. Thereafter, every opponent Clurey went to had a field day marking well in front of him.

For those a little more in the know, is there anyone that can be turned into a beast defender with nous like Ladhams, Hayes, Georgiades....? Similar to G Phillips 😊. Either that or we have to go recruit someone.

Next week will be the same. Our midfield has probably never won a quarter going up against the GWS midfield.
The Giants are front runners. They get their tails up early and they're impossible to reign in. We start well, and match the contested work of them and they're gettable and I don't think they're that good either or better then us. What went wrong last night is obvious and if we rectify the mistakes and learn from it we should be in a good spot for next week's game.

I look at our list and question who we could bring in to remedy this issue, in the case we play the lions again in 2020.

Sam Hayes - 203cm but I sense he's been groomed as a ruck rather than forward. Is this correct?
Ladham - 202cm
Buzza - 199cm
Westhoff - 199cm
Watts - 196cm
Liernert - 195cm
Grundy 194cm

The solution last night, based on selections, should have been Westhoff drop back. Then and only when the game had been lost to drop Marshall back to give him a taste of how hard he needs to work.

If we could have our selections again playing two rucks (Ladhams or Hayes) and dropping the second ruck to play the Brogan role; or
Picking Watts, Liernert or Grundy to play the defensive roles they are selected for; or
Selecting an extra forward in Buzza and playing one of Buzza, Marshall or Westhoff to play down back

None of the solutions are great but that just highlights our deficiencies in our squad and coaching panel

Any gut feel on whether Sam Hayes will make it at AFL level and in what position?
Hayes is a ruckman, he plays well in the SANFL in the ruck and I personally believe he will be better then Ladhams as a ruckman he just needs time to develop.

Hayes is a ruckman, he plays well in the SANFL in the ruck and I personally believe he will be better then Ladhams as a ruckman he just needs time to develop.
He is crazy good at collecting the ball of the ground for a guy who is 203cm, has long arms and a great leap so gets his hand a long way above his opponent and centre bounce.

He is listed at 102kgs so may not be far off having the strength to go against the big rucks, wonder how his tank has developed enough to run out games at AFL level.

The biggest takeaway from this game (and one a lot of us expected) is that we're stuffed against quick sides with a lot of height up forward. As soon as we lose that midfield battle for a bit, we don't have the guys down back who can compete 1 on 1. We then concede a bunch of goals within 10 minutes. We still don't have a plan B in our game plan, because Hinkley still hasn't grasped that at some point our defenders will need to be capable of holding their own physically.
Hinkley and the list management team. He has requests, but ultimately they also have to take a share of the blame for not prioritising drafting and trading for (not undersized) KPP’s at both ends of the ground. It’s a true team effort of poor decisions at Port.

Harris Andrews - 201 cm - 100 kg - age 23
Peter Ladhams - 202 cm - 101 kg - age 22

One day the penny will drop.
--------

Will the giants add another tall to the mix for next week?
Will it be fine with little wind again?
Are we agile enough to recast if they do make changes?

The giants as named this week.

Tommy Sheridan 187/82
Jeremy Cameron 196/96
Toby Greene 182/83

Brent Daniels 170/74
Harry Himmelberg 194/92
Jeremy Finlayson 196/93

Clurey 193, Burton 191, McKenzie 191, Bonner 190, Jonas 188, Houston 186, DBJ 181
Ladhams 202, Westhoff 199, Lienert 195, Pasini 193, Garner 184

Last edited:
He is crazy good at collecting the ball of the ground for a guy who is 203cm, has long arms and a great leap so gets his hand a long way above his opponent and centre bounce.

He is listed at 102kgs so may not be far off having the strength to go against the big rucks, wonder how his tank has developed enough to run out games at AFL level.
I really rate Hayes from what I've seen of him at Magpies games. I rate him ahead of Ladhams, he just doesn't have the tank yet.

Another poster had a good idea of playing Ladhams as a key defender, which isn't the worst idea as he's agile and quick enough for his size to do it. Not the worst idea I've heard that one.

what is happening in the SANFL this year? I just googled and it seems to be an 8 team comp.

Are the left over port and crows players getting a game anywhere for development?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those a little more in the know, is there anyone that can be turned into a beast defender with nous like Ladhams, Hayes, Georgiades....? Similar to G Phillips 😊. Either that or we have to go recruit someone.

We need a quality retired full back to sit down with Clurey and explain the mindset of a good full back. He has to own the front spot and get the arm across the chest.

Don't just let defenders run off on a lead and then shake your head in frustration as they mark 2m in front of you. Get nasty. Not stupid stuff but stick to the forward and make them try to get past you on the lead. Lay some body on them.

As 1954 posted he has been taken to the cleaners every game this year. He was lucky last week we won easily and Charlie kicked 6. It misdirected attention from how easily Kennedy kicked goals.

I wish Ken would come out and really question the umps on their HTB narrative * me 8 times last night we should of had shots on goal its beyond ****ed i couldn't imagin being that s**t at my job and still getting paid then we merely touch Brisbane its a free Robbie should of always been looked after but never does Wingard is enjoying that Hawthorn umpire love with us he was a stager ..

See the whole system is corrupt from gills bullshit Draw to the Umpire's bullshit calls

Sleeping on it,

Its not the end of the world (footy I guess never is haha) but it probably isn't as bad as it felt halfway through the 2nd. Need someway to slow opposition teams down when they get on a run.

Also need look at our I50. To me there is only 2 real types of I 50 we have.

Longer to the 2nd square to a target , be it Gray, Marshall or Dixon. Or we hit up a lead but don't penetrate I35. With the 2nd if it Port dont take the mark Brisbane did a great job of not allowing the mids the time to set up and lock it in. It killed us several times yesterday where port won the clearance to get the ball going forward but went back over the midfield heads at a rate of knots.

If Port are going to be anything this year they must respond against the Giants. Another what happen power and you'll know Its just count down the games until sack Hinkley actually happens.

Hinkley and the list management team. He has requests, but ultimately they also have to take a share of the blame for not prioritising drafting and trading for (not undersized) KPP’s at both ends of the ground. It’s a true team effort of poor decisions at Port.

We have to recruit 1-2 key tall defenders and two inside-outside genuine mids as our priorities over the next two drafts. Then another tall forward.

I think Georgiades, Marshall and Hayes/Ladhams gives us a good foundation forward especially with Williams’ aerial ability.

Not worried yet. We dominated the first quarter and should have been a few goals up at 1/4 time. Most of the damage was done in 15 minutes in the 2nd, and the rest of the game was pretty even. I also think everything went their way from umpiring calls, to blind kicks hitting their forwards on the chest, to the ball playing ping pong in their forward line and falling straight to Charlie Cameron 15m out from goal. On top of being the final game in what surely has been an exhausting and emotionally draining hub at Brisbane’s home ground, I’m willing to give benefit of the doubt to the boys and look forward to a response next week.

what is happening in the SANFL this year? I just googled and it seems to be an 8 team comp.

Are the left over port and crows players getting a game anywhere for development?
We aren't playing in it, I'm fairly sure Hayes was in the group left in Adelaide when the rest of the squad went into the hub. I'm not sure what they do for match fitness besides the odd scratch match against Adelaide

Saw a bit of footage that really pissed me off this morning, Neale and Wines around a pack, about half way from Wing and Bris 50. Neale Wins the footy steps in board and runs towards the corridor and runs forward, Wines just jogs forward not even attempting to get to a or keep up with Neale. Zero effort just a slow jog towards Brisbane's forward line.

Zero Effort from Wines.

We looked most dangerous when butters and Rozee were around the ball. It’s depressing seeing wines/rockliff in the centre square at the same time. Oppo mids would run their hands together seeing that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really need to adress the midfiled, one of Rockliff and Wines needs to go with the view of getting Rozee/Butters into the midfield for longer, their skill and pace is what we need, not the same slow one dimensional make up that hasn't been able to deliver in previous years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back