Autopsy Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Give him a chance , it is his first year of senior footy. JK was average his first couple of years. Finn is also having to play a negating role, which is something he has never had to do. Has all the attributes to make it and has a great attitude.
Learning the craft of tagging, similar to what worpel is doing now. our next wave of mids will play both ends of the ground.

Learning the craft of tagging, similar to what worpel is doing now. our next wave of mids will play both ends of the ground.

That’s exactly what the team needs right now, a freakin tagger.
Let’s just belt any creativity and flair a young player may have so we can be totally negative and lose by 30 points each week instead of 60.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s exactly what the team needs right now, a freakin tagger.
Let’s just belt any creativity and flair a young player may have so we can be totally negative and lose by 30 points each week instead of 60.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Just because he is playing a negating role now, doesn’t mean they are going to play him as one his whole career. The club obviously feels that he needs to be a 2 way player as same goes with Worpel. None of our current mids besides Shiels have a defensive side and he is nearly cooked, so we really need a big bodied mid who can defend as well as crash and that is Finn.

Do we have one key position player that anyone could say with absolute confidence will be part of our next contending team?

Hartigan
Lewis
Kozi
Jeka
Mcevoy
Ceglar
Frost as a chb maybe...

The lack of key position talent is probably the worst in the entire league.
Not withstanding the massive lack of talent in the midfield and small high pressure forwards.

Bit early to make the call on Lewis, Kozi and Jeka i would have thought.

Also have a bloke named Denver Grainger-Barass that should do alright.

fu** Max Gawn was dominate yesterday, I know he's dominate a lot but I feel when he plays us it even goes up another level.
I reckon Max gets the footy draw at the start of the season, finds the Melbourne vs Hawthorn games then circles those matches with a pink marker and draws little lovehearts and unicorns around it!

When you think about it though its not surprising that Gawn absolutely dominates us every time.

We have undersized rucks who don't jump so he just does what he wants in the ruck contests.

And we persist with bombing the ball long down the boundary line / forward line to nooneinparticular so all he does is play a kick behind the play all day long and take about 20 contested marks every match.

You have no idea how I hope your comment is apt. If we got Stephen Wells it would be stunning, but don’t hold your breath.
you would know as well as I do I'd hope the reasons Wright was asked to move on. I'm sure you'd understand it's for those same reasons we won't even be speaking to Wells.

Bit early to make the call on Lewis, Kozi and Jeka i would have thought.

Also have a bloke named Denver Grainger-Barass that should do alright.
He didn’t make that call, he did the opposite. He said he couldn’t yet have ‘absolute confidence’ in any KPP on the list being part of our next contending side.

I reckon Max gets the footy draw at the start of the season, finds the Melbourne vs Hawthorn games then circles those matches with a pink marker and draws little lovehearts and unicorns around it!

When you think about it though its not surprising that Gawn absolutely dominates us every time.

We have undersized rucks who don't jump so he just does what he wants in the ruck contests.

And we persist with bombing the ball long down the boundary line / forward line to nooneinparticular so all he does is play a kick behind the play all day long and take about 20 contested marks every match.
Gawn was dominating the hitouts but we were fine around the ruck contests until the last quarter. Centre clearances were 12-5 out way when Moore kick the 1st of the last quarter.

The kicking to Gawn was a major issue though

Gawn was dominating the hitouts but we were fine around the ruck contests until the last quarter. Centre clearances were 12-5 out way when Moore kick the 1st of the last quarter.

The kicking to Gawn was a major issue though
Even disregarding the hit outs Gawn had 26 disposals, 10 marks, 5 clearances and a goal yesterday.

That's absolutely elite for a ruckman.

If he played the Hawks 22 games a year he would win the brownlow by the length of the Flemington straight.

Disappointing last quarter for sure. But the thing is that we're largely going with teams much better than us for most of the game. It's only one quarter that we need to fix and suddenly we're looking at potential wins. And that's just against the stronger sides we've played so far.

We have Gunston to come back in possibly as soon as next week. And Sicily and Day perhaps later in the year. That's a lot of quality sitting on the sidelines.

We're also rolling out each week with quite a few younger guys and new additions to the squad who are all still finding their feet in the AFL and/or our team.

We have a huge amount of room for improvement just based on where we are, and it will come in time. Other teams are better now but the gap will close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn’t make that call, he did the opposite. He said he couldn’t yet have ‘absolute confidence’ in any KPP on the list being part of our next contending side.
Anyone trying to suggest they can have 'absolute confidence' for any call in sport more than 3 years into the future is deluded.

We knew that this year was going to be painful. Even the most optimistic supporter would not have had us making finals in 2021.

We are building a core that with good development (and good luck with injuries) _should_ be capable of making finals by 2024.
Just filling the team with players already on the list we have:
FB: Greaves, DGB, Scrimshaw
HB: CJ, Sicily, Impey
C: Day, Worpel, Downie
R: Reeves, Mitchell, Wingard
HF: Gunston, Kozi, Morrison
FF: Hanrahan, Lewis, Brockman
Int: Maginness, Jeka, Pepper, Bramble

Yes, it isn't a team filled with stars and 'A-graders' - but we also have 3 years of trading and drafting to fill in the gaps (and replace any others that drop off due to age such as replacing Mitchell with this year's likely top 3 pick).

As others have said we can't just play that line up each week because too many of those players are inconsistent or not yet ready (or are injured).
We can't expect the turn around to happen by next week or even by the end of this year.
So strap in for more pain like the last few rounds - we aren't winning many games this year. But there is some hope.

We are not young as we keep spruiking to everyone.

We just have a really poor list and lack of talent with our younger guys.

Clarko was talking about a 30 year old returning in his presser as well.

We still haven’t made the necessary changes to suggest we are on any proper rebuild path yet. This off season will be super critical. The clean out needs to be huge.
Our 22 isn’t, which is by design, and that’s ok.

I watched the entire Box Hill game yersterday and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Finn looks like a handy VFL player, no less no more.

I think we all hope for him to be a JK jnr clone but at this stage he is miles off it.
Probably about where JPK was at a similar stage of development.

For those who watched at ground who was on Ed Langdon? It looked like Morrison but was hard to tell. Whoever it was they got torched.

February 2021: “I’ll be happy if I see the younger guys take some steps this year, not even worried about the results.”

Nek minnit

“How did we get blown away by Melbourne! Kosi has played 4 games and isnt doing enough! What about that Finn Maginness, he’s not even playing seniors! DGB hasn’t played a game! Don’t you dare say he has potential!!”

😂

February 2021: “I’ll be happy if I see the younger guys take some steps this year, not even worried about the results.”

Nek minnit

“How did we get blown away by Melbourne! Kosi has played 4 games and isnt doing enough! What about that Finn Maginness, he’s not even playing seniors! DGB hasn’t played a game! Don’t you dare say he has potential!!”

😂
That’s the thing, if we do play the kids we’ll lose by much more than we are now and everyone will jump on saying the kids are no good. Fastest way to ruin the club would be playing all the kids. We might have some stop gap players but they’re playing for a reason. The teams prioritising defence first before we worry about anything else, we’ll build into the year and probably end up on 6-7 wins. Better to finish lower while we’re rebuilding than hover around 10th for 3 years.

We moved the ball well enough when Melbourne’s pressure and intensity was slightly off. If we play to that level we will comfortably deal with Adelaide and a few others.

We aren’t that good but we aren’t this bad. That doesn’t mean it’s not a long road back to contending but there is no way we are a bottom 3 team. I’m confident we win a few from now until the bye & that will be a more realistic indication of where we are at.

For those who watched at ground who was on Ed Langdon? It looked like Morrison but was hard to tell. Whoever it was they got torched.
It was almost always Morrison. Morrison's disposal has been better but that is the second or third week in row he's been good early and just disappeared in the second half or this time post quarter time (thought he was better than Langdon in the first). Langdon though just burnt him on speed as the day went on, I'll give Harry his dues he chased every time at one time almost 2/3rds length of the field but he wasn't quite fast enough. I am starting to wonder if it's a tank thing he just can't last a full game on a wing.

I think I can say Harry is better than last year overall and in all honesty there is no one in our side they could put on Langdon who could go with his pace unless we put CJ on him. Impey perhaps can keep up with sprints but his tank would give out overtime. We've lost our three best gut runners with passable speed from last year in Smith, Henderson/Scully. I'm not sure if Phillips can do the job but they keep pushing him to HF with cameos through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back