Preview Round 5, 2022: Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long, Phillips and Shiels were good for Box Hill, maybe they get their shot against a bigger bodied Geelong this week?

if Lynch is available i think he plays as Reeves needs help in there and Nash would be better as a midfielder

i didnt like Howe's game, he doesnt seem to be in good form at all

Sam Butler looked clean and moved beautifully in a few moments for Box Hill, encouraging signs, he also could debut soonish?

Last edited:
Long, Phillips and Shiels were good for Box Hill, maybe they get their shot against a bigger bodied Geelong this week?

if Lynch is available i think he plays as Reeves needs help in there and Nash would be better as a midfielder

i didnt like Howe's game, he doesnt seem to be in good form at all

Sam Butler looked clean and moved beautifully in a few moments for Box Hill, encouraging signs, he also could debut soonish?

Lynch to back up Reeves and Nash to play as a pure mid changes everything about our midfield dynamic. Absolutely must happen IMO.

Howe omitted.

One of Shiels or Phillips to replace Day. Morrison can roll back to a flank.

The next question is Worpel. Do we consider dropping him for a debuting Ned Long who can let Nash play a more attacking game?
Or do we rest one of CMac and Ward and allow Worpel to rediscover his form and confidence in a big game?

I think Lynch and Shiels get a call up, with Day and Howe? making way. Finn the sub again. Worpel keeps his spot but realises he's on thin ice.
I'd like Hartigan to be recalled if uninjured, as Tom & Jerry will absolutely slaughter us. We don't have one monster defender let alone two!
Not to assume Hartigan will beat one of them, but we need his big body to throw around and keep one of their monster forwards honest.

My observations of some box hill players

Ned long "The Mountain"- Was at the centre square for around 90% of the time lead the stats with tackles contested possessions and clearances despite 15 touches he is clean and a hard man to bring down should be a replacement for worpel.

Phillips- BOG with 26 and a goal his disposals was very good and should replace Howe on the wing

Shiels- Finished with 26 touches at 85% efficiency and had a solid game

Downie- didn't seem to play in the 1st qtr but finished with around 15 touches and made every touch count with his beautiful kicking action they were darts and would be handy on the wing or sub, should debut very soon.

Butler- Quiet 3 qtrs but was thrown in the middle in the last qtr and looked comfortable, building nicely.

Jeka did not play as he was a emergency sub, needs to work on his contested marks but his ground ball skills are very impressive for kpf.
Hartigan did not play and played a shocker in r1 no way near seniors.
Kozi had a injury in the opening minutes with a eye injury and has done nothing as a foward.

I would definitely swap Worpel for Long and Howe for Phillips at the very least and either Lynch/Jeka for Day as a third KPF to help out Lewis and Gunston

Last edited:
Maybe it was a one off? It wasn't a good look though. Plenty of players around the league are team players at senior level but act like twats when they go back

As someone who understands this to a much lesser extent, it is a pretty hard to go down in standard. Especially at the top level and someone as experienced as Pup is. Probably had a hard time realizing that the standard is quite a bit lower than what he has been so used to.

Lynch to replace Day.
Finn to replace Howe in 22.
Shiels to replace Worpel
Flip sub. Howe omitted

I’m expecting to see a response from the senior players. The first quarter against Geelong will tell us if we’re switched on or not.

IN: Phillips, Jeka, Long

OUT: Day (injured), Howe (omitted), Worpel (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Frost, Jiath

HB: Scrimshaw, Grainger-Barras, Sicily

C: Morrison, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Impey, Jeka, Gunston

F: Breust, Lewis, Moore

R: Reeves, O’Meara, Newcombe

INT: Ward, MacDonald, Nash, Long, Maginness (Sub)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm absolutely spewing Day misses again not long after returning. I hope Round 6 onwards he strings a bunch of games together.
Yeah, it's so disappointing. Every time we get even a glimpse of him, he shows his class. He's a resilient character but must be tough.

I’m expecting to see a response from the senior players. The first quarter against Geelong will tell us if we’re switched on or not.

IN: Phillips, Jeka, Long

OUT: Day (injured), Howe (omitted), Worpel (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Frost, Jiath

HB: Scrimshaw, Grainger-Barras, Sicily

C: Morrison, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Impey, Jeka, Gunston

F: Breust, Lewis, Moore

R: Reeves, O’Meara, Newcombe

INT: Ward, MacDonald, Nash, Long, Maginness (Sub)
This will be my preferred team too. With just one bad game we shouldn't dishearten young kids. Going back to Shields and dropping a kid will kill the last months good performance (bar one game).

D
My observations of some box hill players

Ned long "The Mountain"- Was at the centre square for around 90% of the time lead the stats with tackles contested possessions and clearances despite 15 touches he is clean and a hard man to bring down should be a replacement for worpel.

Phillips- BOG with 26 and a goal his disposals was very good and should replace Howe on the wing

Shiels- Finished with 26 touches at 85% efficiency and had a solid game

Downie- didn't seem to play in the 1st qtr but finished with around 15 touches and made every touch count with his beautiful kicking action they were darts and would be handy on the wing or sub, should debut very soon.

Butler- Quiet 3 qtrs but was thrown in the middle in the last qtr and looked comfortable, building nicely.

Jeka did not play as he was a emergency sub, needs to work on his contested marks but his ground ball skills are very impressive for kpf.
Hartigan did not play and played a shocker in r1 no way near seniors.
Kozi had a injury in the opening minutes with a eye injury and has done nothing as a foward.

I would definitely swap Worpel for Long and Howe for Phillips at the very least and either Lynch/Jeka for Day as a third KPF to help out Lewis and Gunston
Downie played games last year?

I like these changes.

Would Hartigan come in for Hawkins if he’s fit?
I rekon we need to go the extra tall defender anyway. We need to release Frost so he can provide more assistance in the air because ATM he is having to focus solely on the main targets on each opposition team. He should be taking Cameron this week. Perfect matchup and leave Hartigan for Hawkins. If anything we could release Sicily forward to provide a bit more aerial presence for Gunston and Lewis. He is almost surplus to our needs down there as good as he is.

I rekon we need to go the extra tall defender anyway. We need to release Frost so he can provide more assistance in the air because ATM he is having to focus solely on the main targets on each opposition team. He should be taking Cameron this week. Perfect matchup and leave Hartigan for Hawkins. If anything we could release Sicily forward to provide a bit more aerial presence for Gunston and Lewis. He is almost surplus to our needs down there as good as he is.
Cats would prefer Sicily up forward for us.
We will need him down back at his best.

I would give DGB first go at Cameron , Frost can go to him as a back up .
Will Hartigan be fit , he is a good logical match for Hawkins.

Would we lose our flexibilty and run if he came in though ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back