Preview Round 5: Fremantle v Western Bulldogs (Wira-Wills-Bandy-Koops-Lower-Hamling-Crozier Cup)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to win this one for mine. We're at home, Bulldogs are the younger team by far and Sandi should hopefully win the ruck battle handily up against English/Boyd.

Banfield goes to Macrae. Bont plays too much forward time for him to be effectively tagged.

Hoping to see us crack 100 (if the rain holds off). Tabs to kick 3 or 4.

Hope the rain stays away , This is a danger game , To win we need to get more from our forward six than we did last week . If our forward six play like last week then the Bulldogs will win . But i feel we will get a couple from Ballas , Tabs and McCarthy as apposed to their zero last week .

The team is starting to look really strong on paper....Just need to translate that to a good 4 quarter effort!
I am hoping that we get a chance to stay with relatively unchanged sides for a string of games to allow things to gel.
We can win this one!
Fyfe will have a field day with 39 possessions. McCarthy with 4, Tabs with 4.
I also just hope that we get the free flowing game happening consistently....we look good when it works :)
Us by 30+

I'm fairly confident that we will win this game.

Bullies are even younger and more inexperienced than we are. They are one of the few teams in the league that have a worse forward line than us. Our backline and midfield unit are superior. As long as it doesn't become a wet slog I'm thinking a clear 4-5 goal win.

I'm fairly confident that we will win this game.

Bullies are even younger and more inexperienced than we are. They are one of the few teams in the league that have a worse forward line than us. Our backline and midfield unit are superior. As long as it doesn't become a wet slog I'm thinking a clear 4-5 goal win.

These things are actually difficult to quantify. At first glance you would say yes. Their mean and median ages this week (median being more pertinent I think, but mean is value everyone quotes) are 23.4 and 22.5 respectively. That is very low. Ours our 24.5 and 24. Low, but certainly higher than theirs. You need to dig deeper*. If you compare the matchday squads side by side you see that games wise we have a significant advantage in experience for the top half of the 22, but the bottom half is essentially identical:
Games.png
If you look at it age wise you'd say they have an advantage as of their highly inexperienced players two have completed only one preseason whereas we have four and a further 2 with only two (they have 1). Also our older players are older than theirs. On balance you would expect them to run the game out better.
Age.png
From a practical standpoint the sides are the same (really there is no difference 'experience' wise between 125 and 175 in terms of your output. If fact at 175 you are more likely to past your best.) From a statistical standpoint you have to concede that they are both younger and less experienced. Of course in terms of where the lists are at; they have 8 or 9 best 25 players out, only one of whom is under 20. (We are what, 2? Hill and Logue?)

*Work not grabbing me this morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Duman on his League debut, from what the Peel watchers post he seems like a very good prospect. Well done to the club too for having the ticker to include 5 first year players in the team. Having so many new boys may backfire at some stage but looking forward to 2019 - 2024 this is the right thing to do.

One of my favourite moments at any Freo game is the cheers that go up when a recruit runs onto the ground for the first time, it's so good to hear the whole crowd let him know they are with him. Go Duman.

These things are actually difficult to quantify. At first glance you would say yes. Their mean and median ages this week (median being more pertinent I think, but mean is value everyone quotes) are 23.4 and 22.5 respectively. That is very low. Ours our 24.5 and 24. Low, but certainly higher than theirs. You need to dig deeper*. If you compare the matchday squads side by side you see that games wise we have a significant advantage in experience for the top half of the 22, but the bottom half is essentially identical:
View attachment 485591
If you look at it age wise you'd say they have an advantage as of their highly inexperienced players two have completed only one preseason whereas we have four and a further 2 with only two (they have 1). Also our older players are older than theirs. On balance you would expect them to run the game out better.
View attachment 485592
From a practical standpoint the sides are the same (really there is no difference 'experience' wise between 125 and 175 in terms of your output. If fact at 175 you are more likely to past your best.) From a statistical standpoint you have to concede that they are both younger and less experienced. Of course in terms of where the lists are at; they have 8 or 9 best 25 players out, only one of whom is under 20. (We are what, 2? Hill and Logue?)

*Work not grabbing me this morning.
Underrated post!

Now my hopes have inflated. If we lose, I'll be blaming my extra disappointed on you.

:D

Little further thought on this chart, I think it shows that, predicated on the players we having drafted the last two years proving to be better than average, we could be back in premiership contention sooner than some people think. Walters goes back forward, Johnson and Ballas retired: at the end of 2019 we have 80% of our best 22 with between 50 to 180 games and all be 28 and under. (Hill will be the only outlier with potentially +230 games but will 'only' be 29).
I think we have all the pieces of a very very good side bar a couple more quality non small forwards.

Didn't Kingsley hunter kick about 35 points before he kicked a goal ? I've never seen anything like it.

The Footy Record used to have a feature on a Docker player each week where they asked all kinds of questions - favourite song, four famous people you'd like to invite for dinner, last holiday, that kind of thing.

Luke Toia was the interviewee and in response to the question along the lines of what was your most frightening experience, he replied "The first time I saw Kingsley Hunter naked!". Looking back I give them credit for publishing that. :eek:

Tim English. Has played 5-6 games, looks fantastic.
WA boy who is 206cm and uses the ball really well. He's only 19 though so still firmly in the developing phase. Worried about him being the sole ruck against Sandi, and Boyd kicked 5 goals in the VFL last week.
Have to balance that with the wet weather though. Crap week to lose our best runner (Hunter). Your team seems to have a pace edge over the Bulldogs too.
English is from Pingelly where my old man lives. I went there for his birthday and that weekend big Tim made his debut. The bowls club was buzzing everyone was excited. He is a impressive young player will learn a bit from Sandi.

English is from Pingelly where my old man lives. I went there for his birthday and that weekend big Tim made his debut. The bowls club was buzzing everyone was excited. He is a impressive young player will learn a bit from Sandi.
Yeah we extended his contract too to ward off some of the go home factor.
Our best talls tend to be WA boys if you consider Adams and Naughton.

English is very very highly rated at the kennel.
Considered our best young tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back