Autopsy Round 5 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Lel at this post on Carlton board...

I'll try not to be too offensive to port but **** they were bad,we kept our structure. We stuck to our plan. They just skiied. Downhill wow. I would take that loss any day of the week compared to that terrible club.

The umpires hate Robbie Gray.

The marks that were unpaid, the unpaid frees for pushes in the back. For christs sake, a guy leapfrogged him! I've never seen that before.

How sweet it is when he goes and seeks those goals out after getting no love from them.

We were a bit haphazard at times tonight, but after the game was sewn up at the 10 minute mark of the first, a bit of showboating crept in, before we knuckled down after half-time to roar away, with only poor set shots preventind a record win.

Boak - spent the second half on the bench with a sore hammy, but was typically unkempt with his disposal when on. His industriousness can never be questioned, but he may be the worst offender as far as klutziness. 3/10

Powell-Pepper - better than last week, and had 8 clearances, I hear, so did his job. Played on Gibbs, who had no influence, and it is a credit to Sammy that the coaches have so much faith. 6/10

Ryder - we're so much better for his presence. Won the ruck, and has a great understanding with Ollie in particular. A little tle quiet in general play. 7/10

Broadbent - one of his best ever games. Won plenty of it, and was penetrating and urgent. Kept anonymous opponent anonymous. 9/10

Ebert - close to our best. Won heaps of contested ball, and tackled like a demon to keep Murphy under wraps. 9/10

R Gray - could have bagged 8 or 9, if his set shot hadn't deserted him and the umpires gave him the protection he deserved rather than refusing pointblank to give him what he asks for. Absolutely brilliant inside F50, and a deserved Badcoe Medallist. 9/10

Young - back to his hard-working best with 2 goals and a couple of assists. Works best as a high half-forward. 7/10

Trengove - his move forward after half-time was the catalyst for the dominant third term, and got his rewards with a career-best goal tally. We have looked at our best this season when Jacko plays forward. 8/10

Amon - thought he was pretty good, linking up out of defence and using the pill well. Still has some committment issues at times, but played his role and keeps his spot. 6/10

Wines - 26 handballs in his 35 touches, but was the main reason we won the clearances and contested ball. Has a great read on Ryder, and has been really clean with his ball-handling thus far. 9/10

Clurey - one of his best performances, albeit in a floating role. Took several intercept marks, and his positioning cannot be criticised. His disposal is very reliable. 7/10

Wingard - played predominantly midfield, resting forward, and posted midfield numbers in disposals (26)and tackles (10) while still impacting the scoreboard. Radar was unfortunately off with 1.4, but his brilliance was often on display. 8/10

Polec - silky skills and gliding runs mask Polly's toughness inside the contest when required. If he consistently produces these performances, we are a far better team. 8/10

Dixon - I love his agression and his passion for the team, but he still runs under the ball too much for mine, and should be taking advantage of a dispirited opposition better than he did tonight. I think his problem is that he gets either caught wrestling multiple opponents, or overruns his leads. Needs the assistance of another key forward, whether that be Trengove or Eddy. 4/10

Impey - takes the game on, but needs to develop the ability to drive in a lower gear. Just doesn't think his disposals through enough for me, but his pace and toughness is still an assett to the team. 5/10

Pittard - seems to be mindful of his recent string problem. Is hesitant to put his full swing through the ball. Had lots of the ball tonight, but his use was not damaging to either Carlton or Port. 6/10

Johnson - congratulations on his first game and 2 goals. Looks to have wheels, but like Impey, his disposal looks like it might need more care. Didn't look out of place, however. 5/10

Byrne-Jones - fantastic again. Very consistent and reliable player, who does everything to the best of his ability. Keeps his opponents undr control, helps out his team mates and uses it constructively. 8/10

Westhoff - kicked the mandatory miraculous goal, floated around and did some ruck relief, and amassed 20 disposals without being dominant. Could always do more with his unique skillset, which is why so many of us find him so frustrating. 6/10

Jonas - had Casboult, who booted 4 of their 6 goals, but I thought TJ was ok. Seems to be moving far better this season, as well as rediscovering his disposal skills. 5/10

Houston - had Silvagni, and won the battle. Plays like a experienced defender - very calm and composed under pressure, and very safe with his disposals. I can barely remember a single error in his first 5 games. Great prospect. 7/10

S Gray - was pretty good tonight, especially after half time when Trengove usurped his role as the second KPF. Drove us forward regularly, and took the time to think his disposql through instead of blindly blasting the ball. 7/10

Really, can't ask for much more than a 15 goal win; even though we played carefree footy at times and wasted so many chances, we still kept our defensive focus and maintained our workrate around the packs. It's good to build our percentage at this early stage, and if we keep this game style up, we should play finals, though we're not really a premiership contender at this stage. A small improvement in ball usage and concentration, and injury luck, may change that by the end of the season, however.

Lel at this post on Carlton board...

You'll hear this a lot.

16 to 3 tackles inside forward 50
78 intercept possessions to 67

I'd temper how "great" you rate performances from certain individuals against Carlton I've learn't nothing new about Sam Gray or Broadbent for instance.
I learnt again that for someone so low to the ground, Sam Gray struggles to cleanly pick up balls close to the ground.

I think Robbie Gray is unbelievably good for a guy who plays with the horrible dual disadvantage of having no neck and no back. A true hero and inspiration to us all.

Obviously graduated from the Warren Tredrea School for Forwards with No Neck and Back.

Carlton: 2 games at Adelaide Oval for a total losing margin of 193 points. Lol.
R22, 2014(5.7) was their lowest score against us. You would think tonights' score of 6.11 would be their 2nd or 3rd lowest against us but it is in fact the 5th lowest. The other low scores they have kicked against us are 5.10, 5.15 and 6.9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may not seem like it, but that was an important display in my opinion. Our tackling pressure was well up, we dominated every area on the ground, and while they slowed us down in the first half we ran away to a huge win.

Robbie Gray looked a bit shaky early on, but he looks set to move back into the absolute upper echelon again this year. That was a frightening performance.

With Ryder back our midfield looks unbeatable. Ollie Wines and Brad Ebert have become an incredibly strong one-two punch, and Powell-Pepper is just an absolute monster at stoppages.

Loved seeing Wingard run through the middle tonight, his tackling pressure was a revelation. I don't know where he has been the last few weeks, but damn!

Polec continues to take our strong inside game and turn it into an amazing all round game. His football genius knows no bounds, and his ball use is one of the great joys of following footy. So glad he is playing!

Please keep Trengove up forward, and please keep wins like this coming.

Broadbent - one of his best ever games. Won plenty of it, and was penetrating and urgent. Kept anonymous opponent anonymous. 9/10

R Gray - could have bagged 8 or 9, if his set shot hadn't deserted him and the umpires gave him the protection he deserved rather than refusing pointblank to give him what he asks for. Absolutely brilliant inside F50, and a deserved Badcoe Medallist. 9/10

Carn.

Broadbent? He was great tonight. I'm watching the replay now and haven't wavered from this call.
Defended well, gave good drive and added to our attack.

A Richmond moderator with a Winnie the Pooh avatar posting in the main board reckons Gray is probably in the top 20 players in the competition.

Just another night on big footy.
Well his stupid fellow players only voted him 16th this year after voting him around 6th last year. I think CD havehim ranked about 4th best.

Well that was quite a lovely night at the footerball wasn't it! Obviously we were up against a very young inexperienced Carlton team but still, you still need to put them away, and put them away we did.

Defensively we dominated. Our set up as soon as Carlton won the ball was swift and we just always seemed to have players in the right spot. The likes of Houston, DBJ, Jonas and Broady just always seemed to be in the right spots for the intercept. Our midfield was very clean in what they did all night. Some really neat clearances, good movement, lots of angular play and we worked the wings really well. The forward line was the only real place where we misfired a bit, which sounds silly when you kick 20 goals and win by 90 points, but it really should have been another 20-30 points on top of that.

There were a few issues with the forward line. First off our entries were poor. Once again too many times we just bombed it long on top of Dixons head. We just need to be smarter when kicking to him. We need to wait till he moves before kicking it in because too many times we kick it to him when hes stationary and it's just too easy for opponents to come over the top. The other issue obviously was goal kicking. We should have had another 4-5 gimme's really, but never the less.

Just about everybody did their job. I thought there was only 1 player who was lagging a bit in terms of the quality of their play. Ebert, Wines, Trengove, Polec, Houston were all excellent. So proud of AJ as well. Some will say it was the easiest sort of game to debut in and maybe it was, but you still need to play well and find the football.

Good win and really gives our percentage a healthy kick as well.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Boak - Thought he was real good in the first half before his injury. Really liked what he did at stoppages as the 2nd or 3rd disposal away from the pack and probably would have been close to BOG had he played out the whole game. Hopefully he's not out for any real amount of time.

Powell-Pepper - He's real good in close. Real good. Just needs to gain some more uncontested parts to his game which will come in time. Thought he was great against a much more experienced midfield group. That bump in the last quarter where he ran 50 metres to lay a shepherd was first class.

Ryder - Dominated the hitouts and led from the front. Didn't provide a whole lot around the ground this week but his ruckwork was exceptional.

Broadbent - Really set up strongly across the centre and half back and was the go to option to release the ball once we won it back. Great goal in the last quarter. Thought it was one of his better games for a long time.

Ebert - All class and imo should have won the medal. Robbie may have been better but Brad was a monster in the midfield. Heaps of the ball, heaps of tackles. He did a lot of in and under work. After a couple of years below his best, it's great to see him in career best form so far this year.

R Gray - He's just a star. If only he kicked a couple of those easy shots in the third he would have had a real day out again. But still, 25 touches, 5 goals. You take that. He's just about unstoppable when he's in that sort of form. Add in the fact he got screwed out of a mark, screwed out of probably 3-4 pretty obvious free kicks in front of goal as well, he could have easily ended with 7 or 8 goals.

Young - Sort of came in and out of the game a bit, but when he was switched on he had 5 or 6 really important plays and of course kicked 2 real good goals as well. Has been quiet the last couple so was good to see him play better this week.

Trengove - Was like a general down back, before kicking 3 second half goals. His forward play was incredible. Roving and snapping goals, strong grabs, accurate kicking. One of the best all round games he's ever played.

Amon - I was most impressed with him tonight. He's getting more and more confident and he ran like a race horse all night. His kicking was better than anyone else on the park. He ran up and down the wing delivering the ball with class all night long. If he could play like that most weeks then you'd be stoked.

Wines - Back to beast mode after a down game last week. Brought his own footy in the middle and regularly got first touch at stoppages. He's running so much harder this year and is just gliding across the park. Who knows what the issue was last year.

Clurey - In the end he had a few goals kicked on him again but overall I loved the way he threw himself into the contest and I thought his positional work was a lot better this week. He played tighter when he needed to and knew when to zone off a bit more. His best game of the year.

Wingard - Was a star on the wing and in the middle. Should have had a huge day out had he took more of his chances in front of goal. It's games like this which is why the club would be so keen to get him into the midfield more often.

Polec - 25 touches, 2 goals. Not much more you could want from Jared. He's delivering this year and has really improved his consistency. Has done a lot of work to improve what he does under pressure. Just seems capable of getting out of trouble all the time no matter what is thrown his way.

Dixon - Wasn't given many favours by some poor entry but worked hard, kicked another 2 and brought the ball to ground for at least another 3-4 goals for his teammates.

Impey - Wasn't sighted until after half time, but thought he had 5-6 important pieces of play in the second half. Was better than last week.

Pittard - Thought he was poor tonight. Defensively was ok but it was the return of the bombscare with the ball. I felt like he turned it over just about every time he tried to switch the play. Wasn't good enough and was the weak link when everyone else was hitting targets.

Johnson - For someone who's only played 8 or 9 games of footy in 2 1/4 years, to debut like that was a great effort. We all know he hasn't found a lot of the ball in his games to date but it didn't seem to matter out there. He worked hard to get involved and thought he had a great first quarter. Kicked a nice goal and then had 3 or 4 other really good, clean efforts with the ball. There were a few times he did the wrong thing in terms of structures, positioning etc, but overall, you'd take a 14 touch, 2 goal debut any day of the week. So stoked he got his chance and played well. Should grow so much in confidence because of it.

Byrne-Jones - His positioning was first class and his ability to get into the right spot for the handball out of a contest in the backline was crucial to how well we cleared the ball. One of his best games I felt.

Westhoff - Better. Got involved more, did his yearly party trick of soccering through an unlikely goal and too some good marks on the night.

Jonas - Was alright on Silvagni early then shut down Curnow who was having an impact in the first half. Solid as a rock once again.

Houston - I love him. I really love him. Nothing seems to phase him. He goes out there and is almost robotic in his ability to win just about every contest he's involved in. Strong in the air, great ability to read the play, so smooth with the ball. He's going to be a very good player for a very long time.

S Gray - Much better. His best game of the year by far. Has a great side step, great quick give and thought his kicking was significantly better this week. Outside of that run at the end of 2015, this was his best game.

POTY Votes
10 - R Gray, Ebert
9 - Houston, Amon, Trengove, Polec, Wines
8 - Wingard, Jonas, DBJ, S Gray
7 - SPP, Ryder, Broadbent, Clurey
6 - Boak, Westhoff, Dixon, Johnson
5 - Young
4 - Impey
3 - Pittard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back