Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. A good coach could toughen up Burton, but a good coach can't fix Lachie. You can coach toughness, you can't coach talent.
I don’t know, John Cahill moulded some pretty good players from what appears a lump of human clay.
Paul North East springs to mind, horrible kicking action, but tough as nails. Andrian Settre (think that’s how it’s spelt)

I’d suggest Jack would have made Jones play like Zeus whilst he would have traded Burton to North or Glenelg!

Some interesting comments about our inability to change things up on the field on the fly. It’s been a problem in the whole Hinkley tenure.
It seems like there are clear instructions to only do what the coaches tell you to do. Possibly if you don’t you will be in the 2nds or out the door.
Just like in our working life if we have a hopeless manager who keeps telling us to do stupid things we either do it or we have to leave.
Unfortunately for the club there are a lot of hopeless coaches and administrators. What a mess they have made, bunch of aresholes.

Some interesting comments about our inability to change things up on the field on the fly. It’s been a problem in the whole Hinkley tenure.
It seems like there are clear instructions to only do what the coaches tell you to do. Possibly if you don’t you will be in the 2nds or out the door.
Just like in our working life if we have a hopeless manager who keeps telling us to do stupid things we either do it or we have to leave.
Unfortunately for the club there are a lot of hopeless coaches and administrators. What a mess they have made, bunch of aresholes.
Very few AFL coaches have the courage or creativity to think outside the box. Clubs are so heavily drilled in systems based football and believe their system will ultimately overcome the opposition system. However there is got to be a happy middle ground in which there is scope to change things up. What was the plan for arresting momentum against the Pies, we all knew that at some stage they would surge. Are we drilled in what do, is the coaching group empowered to change the mid mix, whose calling the shots with coach headphoneless on the ground. In military termss do we haveve a command and control problem.

Nah. A good coach could toughen up Burton, but a good coach can't fix Lachie. You can coach toughness, you can't coach talent.
I disagree that Lachy can't be fixed. But even if that is true the best way to fix Burton is to drop him and tell him he only gets back in when he matches Lachys effort and toughness.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very few AFL coaches have the courage or creativity to think outside the box. Clubs are so heavily drilled in systems based football and believe their system will ultimately overcome the opposition system. However there is got to be a happy middle ground in which there is scope to change things up. What was the plan for arresting momentum against the Pies, we all knew that at some stage they would surge. Are we drilled in what do, is the coaching group empowered to change the mid mix, whose calling the shots with coach headphoneless on the ground. In military termss do we haveve a command and control problem.
This is where the Moneyball type of attitude could really be very effective.

As I've mentioned before, a Bill Bellicheck type of coach would kill in the AFL.

I forgot to say but aftermath of the Collingwood game is that it was basically the exact same loss that we had to them last year.

Obviously, we were reamed by the umps last year and this year, we played a high quality first quarter but after that, their pressure, work rate, contested ball and good skills eventually pummelled us into oblivion and we didn't in any way, shape or form accept the challenge and fight back.

I gotta say I really like the way that Collingwood play, the way they are coached and the attitude of the Collingwood players. They never look flustered and believe in their gameplan. They are not arrogant but very confident. They stick together. I am almost envious that we don't play the way that they play. Just good solid fundamental football.

All of the strategies and tactics of Collingwood we had seen the year before but Kenny Average still went in with the same old gameplan that doesn't work and to make it worse put even more than usual square pegs in round holes. The result eventually came and we were lucky not to be spanked by 100.

And to cap it all off, in the presser Hinkley trotted out his trite phrase of 'we have to learn for that', well, its been 11 years buddy and everyone knows you haven't learnt a darn thing and you never will. Everyone. The other coaches. The opposition players. The Port fans. The opposition fans. The media. And worst of all, the Port Adelaide playing group.

It's done.

Very few AFL coaches have the courage or creativity to think outside the box. Clubs are so heavily drilled in systems based football and believe their system will ultimately overcome the opposition system. However there is got to be a happy middle ground in which there is scope to change things up. What was the plan for arresting momentum against the Pies, we all knew that at some stage they would surge. Are we drilled in what do, is the coaching group empowered to change the mid mix, whose calling the shots with coach headphoneless on the ground. In military termss do we haveve a command and control
It certainly is odd there is no sign of headphones on the bench

I spoke to Keith Thomas in 2019 about halfway in the season about the unbearably boring football we were playing. He told me that after the game plan they had practised and developed in preseason, they couldn't change the game plan mid season. In other words, just suffer! I knew we were doomed then!

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The groundhog day against contested ball teams sees our will whither away by the end of the first quarter. A very similar game to last year.

It was a tale of two teams. Port Adelaide have a lot of highly skilled players and are badly coached. Collingwood have a lot of very good players who are fundamentally sound and are coached to a very high standard.

THE GOOD

Horne-Francis was awesome. Never say die.
Jase Burgoyne continuing to play well.
Georgiades looking the goods.
The tall backs playing well given the onslaught.
Butters first quarter.

THE MEDIOCRE

The rest of Butter's game.
Drew trying.
The rucks were OK enough.
Marshall I guess. The forwards did enough when it went in.

THE UGLY

The contested possession count which shows the boys had no heart today.
A terrible gameplan and no real alternative.
Sweet starting in ruck. WTF?
Soldo as a tall forward. WTF?
Rozee's entire game.
Our small defenders where killed by their small fleet. Bobby Hill could've kicked 7 if he wanted to.
Wines being shown up for being a very average midfielder with zero impact on the game.
Our small defenders have been a liability this season. They don't defend & are slow except Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have any players we've had throughout the Hinkley era gone on to be assistant coaches somewhere?
Ebert is an assistant at Carlton.
Lobbe is ruck coach and head of development (lol) at Port.
Sutcliffe and Hartlett are development coaches at Port.

I cant think of any senior players who are even remotely capable of that. Rozee wouldnt lol.

Dixon? The guy is the dumbest footballer on earth.

Boak? Nah - daddys plan or else.

We have a massive leadership void.
I don’t think we have had a half decent captain since primus or tredders. Wanganeen was an ok ‘lead by example’ captain.

I used to make fun of Frankenstein Moore, but I watched him closely in last years finals series & he was a brilliant captain, rallying the troops & setting tone. On top of that he was a very slick polished media performer on Brownlow night.

I completely agree with you. This was a predictable loss. I come here to read people’s thoughts on the stats, the lack of changes, the poor and great performances etc. I travelled to the G last year and watched us get flogged in front of a moronic crowd who kicked off the JHF booing, thankfully I wasn’t there today. In the first quarter I was kicking myself but as the game went on I went through the usual stages of grief. My comment about finding the intelligent discourse was about the fact that you have to wade through a lot of donuts, greyhound, sack everyone blah to find the conversation about the game.
Yea fair enough I indulge in that as well, I just can’t see how the casual footy member/fan can predict these results like clockwork yet Richo, Chris Davies, the broader board (outside Koch who clearly is compromised) can’t see the same thing

You seem closer to the pulse of the place what’s your take ?

It certainly is odd there is no sign of headphones on the bench
Agree, although when asked JHF said that his move to full forward in the final moments of the Freo game (allowing him to kick the winning goal) was a move by Ken. I guess the question is does Ken make moves from the bench through the runners. McRae also not wearing a headset for the majority of the game.

Agree, although when asked JHF said that his move to full forward in the final moments of the Freo game (allowing him to kick the winning goal) was a move by Ken. I guess the question is does Ken make moves from the bench through the runners. McRae also not wearing a headset for the majority of the game.
I’m sure I’ve seen McRae use them before, don’t remember Hinkley ever having them. Surely the assistant coaches want to know if he is making moves from the bench, maybe someone else passes the message on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back