Autopsy Round 6 - GWS Giants v Brisbane Lions, Saturday 28 April 2018 @ Spotless Stadium, 4.35 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that as they stood on the sidelines watching the NEAFL they thought to themselves “well at least my spot in the seniors is safe” and played accordingly.

This competition is pretty even, if you don’t turn up you get beaten.

Geelong figured Swans were cast without Buddy and Hanners and got their pants pulled down.

We seemingly turn up to every game like that.

I shouldn’t be unfair to all the players, some of them had a red hot go yesterday, Lids, Grif, Whitfield, Cogs but there is this general look of waiting for the magic to happen...it will not happen.

That’s why I’m so gutted at this injury to young Langdon. This kid more than any other I’ve ever seen in Orange and Charcoal plays 100% like his life depends on it. His desire is worth more than a draft pick number and his value is untold.

If he is gone for the season is will be a catastrophic blow for our chances.

Talk to their more considered posters and it made sense for them. His disposal was questionable, but not his attack on the footy, his character and his influence. To step up they needed to change their list up. We needed players that could influence their teammates, and do their job at least competently to hold a spot.
His disposal looks ok to me, but maybe it's easier in our team with more than our share of outside class.

He's very popular with their posters if not with Ross.

That close Simmofreo ?
That's pretty spot on mate

He was always a loved player but his disposal was just all over the place.

He was a tackling machine, and the club tried him in a tagging role at one stage. But you could rely on him to butcher the ball.

But also having Fyfe and Neale and the likes didn't help him keep his spot.

To be honest I think Freo had to go hard at their rebuild so they literally just started by looking at the oldest players.

I can tell you none of the fans were that bothered about losing him. Barlow was a different story. They were pissed.

But this deboar is someone that has put a lot of work into his second chance and can sniff a last shot at a flag.

Love having him in orange

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just got home will watch todays games and then consider watching the replay....maybe

what stood out most to me yesterday was how much we miss the run of Scully and to a lesser extent Kelly. When Langdon went out the team was noticably pedestrian at times.

I'm not overly impressed by how we're playing at the moment, and do think that Leon Cameron is a bit too conservative or old school in his thinking (so some misgivings at overall ability to grab a flag). However, even with the amount of talent in the team, let's not forget how much talent is on the sidelines, and particularly the disruptive nature of injuries that we've endured throughout all of last year and so far this year.

Over the off season, we had to manage the loss through retirement or trade of a ruckman, two small forwards (albeit malfunctioning in 2017) & a running long-kicking half back from the starting team (ignoring Matty Kennedy as primarily a seconds player). That's actually a fairly large transition that is normally made by more experienced teams coming off a long period of ascendancy. It's just the way it is for us, as an interstate team and recent expansion, but it makes the coach's job harder.

Over the off season, two key elements in our new setup - the new primary ruck & our existing (gun) small forward - had limited/minimal involvement due to injuries, and then we lost our existing gun running half back flanker. Two of the drafted small/medium forwards were also heavily impacted by injury. We still had two half back options on the long term injury list. Hence had fairly large holes in replacing the half back and small forward options. And then we lost Setterfield, a junior player, but option to replace other injured players.

Then in the first few rounds we've lost games from our gut running winger, primary ruck, last year's B&F, our gun (AA level) small forward & our replacement small forward (i.e. Zac Langdon). Our primary goalkicker has also broken his toe and has his kicking action hampered. That's a lot of injuries, especially to our running brigade, that's caused the team to be patched up all over the park. To me, it has really impacted the transitions from half back to half forward, although the biggest issue seems to be the final kick into the F50. However, I discern this to be because some guys we would otherwise have had doing it (Scully, Whitfield) are either out or re-roled. We've seen Jezza play a lot more up the ground and deliver kicks into the F50 - but not be there to receive them. There is definitely problems in both the delivery into F50 and the forward patterns to receive them, and Patton is definitely struggling for form at the moment. And other teams have injuries and find ways to win in difficult situations (Crows v Swans, Swans v Cats) so there's no 'free pass' for Leon & the boys with the injury situation and they need to work out how to deal with it. But I just feel that we need to balance the criticism with some understanding of the disruption to systems. (But that's no excuse for some of the poor kicking & poor decision-making. That stuff needs to be ramped up in times of crisis.)

I think a win here is a win and we move on. No point lamenting what we didn't do well. I think it was a bit a of a loose loose for us, beat them by a 100, people will say no biggie they are last for a reason, not beat them by 100 and the response is well what did we do wrong to not make that happen. Its 4 points

I do however, think there are a few points worth making.

-Langdon is fast becoming our most impressive forward. The pressure dropped off significantly when he went off.
- goal kicking is sticking its head up as an increasingly important issue. The talent is there its just a confidence thing.
- The backline is probably the strongest section of the ground for us at the moment. It is great to see how well can cover the losses of williams and wilson
- Im witnessing more and more giants supports bashing players both in person and online... id like to know how many Richmond or west coast players are getting bashed by their own supporters with their team up the top of the table. I think we are a little precious

I think we will know where we stand over the next three weeks.

I think a win here is a win and we move on. No point lamenting what we didn't do well. I think it was a bit a of a loose loose for us, beat them by a 100, people will say no biggie they are last for a reason, not beat them by 100 and the response is well what did we do wrong to not make that happen. Its 4 points

I do however, think there are a few points worth making.

-Langdon is fast becoming our most impressive forward. The pressure dropped off significantly when he went off.
- goal kicking is sticking its head up as an increasingly important issue. The talent is there its just a confidence thing.
- The backline is probably the strongest section of the ground for us at the moment. It is great to see how well can cover the losses of williams and wilson
- Im witnessing more and more giants supports bashing players both in person and online... id like to know how many Richmond or west coast players are getting bashed by their own supporters with their team up the top of the table. I think we are a little precious

I think we will know where we stand over the next three weeks.
Couldn't agree more. :DLangdon over Toby a big call, but I applaud your positivity. Absolutely about the backs.

I worry about the negativity too. Not about venting which is natural ingame day. More that some of our supporters have drank the Kool-aid and expect us to win every game by 10 goals.

Trouble is we we are not playing well and we are looking for answers. I havent noticed too much player bashing, lets not confuse bashing with honest assesment , with maybe one or two exceptions (cough Reid Cough) we as a board have been pretty good. Read some of the other bard autopsy threads if you want to see some good old vitriol.

Trouble is we we are not playing well and we are looking for answers. I havent noticed too much player bashing, lets not confuse bashing with honest assesment , with maybe one or two exceptions (cough Reid Cough) we as a board have been pretty good. Read some of the other bard autopsy threads if you want to see some good old vitriol.
We're 4-1-1. What are your expectations?

We're 4-1-1. What are your expectations?
Dont think our win loss record is a true indication of where we are at. They say good teams win when they are not playing well. lets hope thats true. I expected us to totally smash Brisbane and St kilda. the pies win was good the dogs win was OK but the opposition were putrid that night and the swans game was so so. Last nights game was worse than NEAFL stuff at times. Good news is we can only get better and The finals are a long way off. I expect us to be top 4 this year and IMO we are not playing like it at the moment but I will happily take 4-1-1 which is half a game were I expected us to be. Form this year is hard to pick but I dont think we have play any real top 4 contenders this year with the exception of maybe the Swans. Who we lost against

Well finally got to see the game. Painful.

The effort is there, going at 100% but our skill seems to be 2014 level, at times amazing but other times keystone cops like.
We cant kick straight, or to Giants targets.
While its great to see Lids Griff and MDB kicking arse, we have a few players that are just way to inconsistent.

We do have a ton of injuries and if we can get them on the park I think we will be allot better, but that doesn't change our aim.

Good on the 10k there(poor weather and opposition). Would say that will be our smallest crowd of the year at the Showgrounds.

Dont think our win loss record is a true indication of where we are at. They say good teams win when they are not playing well. lets hope thats true. I expected us to totally smash Brisbane and St kilda. the pies win was good the dogs win was OK but the opposition were putrid that night and the swans game was so so. Last nights game was worse than NEAFL stuff at times. Good news is we can only get better and The finals are a long way off. I expect us to be top 4 this year and IMO we are not playing like it at the moment but I will happily take 4-1-1 which is half a game were I expected us to be. Form this year is hard to pick but I dont think we have play any real top 4 contenders this year with the exception of maybe the Swans. Who we lost against

My view is different. I want to enjoy the footy season and being too negative limits that. I get it's not for me to tell others what to think. I do respect the fact you travel down to attend Spotless. My real underlying concern is that we're gonna have to deal with bad times at some point, hopefully well in the future.

We'll need committed supporters who can ride the bumps then. Everyone does it in their own way though

My view is different. I want to enjoy the footy season and being too negative limits that. I get it's not for me to tell others what to think. I do respect the fact you travel down to attend Spotless. My real underlying concern is that we're gonna have to deal with bad times at some point, hopefully well in the future.

We'll need committed supporters who can ride the bumps then. Everyone does it in their own way though
Ive been to plenty of games, especially in our first couple of years where my expectation of the team was to be smashed by 100 and Ive come home happy that we kept it under 10 goals. If I didnt enjoy the games I wouldnt go...even if I am disappointed by the results. Expectations this year are high both in results and the way we achieve them. The last two weeks performances didnt live up to them..wont stop me watching next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other Giant missing on Saturday was G-man & the kids around me did notice this. The St George dragon in a giants jersey IS NOT OUR MASCOT and while sponsership is vital having the sponsers mascot instead of the clubs as the teams break the banner is a bit inappropriate

There was a moment in the game when we had the ball on the half back flank, over the other side and then the ball was moved about 50 metres upfield and given to HH. At first I thought it was a 50, then I thought it was downfield, which was weird, then I saw the umpire looking at HH’s back.

“Oh” I said “someone’s been reported, I wonder what happened”

Turns out the Brisbane player (Robertson) got a week for striking. Was obviously way off the ball but nobody is showing any footage.

Anybody know if there’s vision anywhere?

There was a moment in the game when we had the ball on the half back flank, over the other side and then the ball was moved about 50 metres upfield and given to HH. At first I thought it was a 50, then I thought it was downfield, which was weird, then I saw the umpire looking at HH’s back.

“Oh” I said “someone’s been reported, I wonder what happened”

Turns out the Brisbane player (Robertson) got a week for striking. Was obviously way off the ball but nobody is showing any footage.

Anybody know if there’s vision anywhere?
It's on the afl site. If you ho yo news and select videos and scroll down a fair way. I can't link it, sorry. It goes straight to play when I tap.

The other Giant missing on Saturday was G-man & the kids around me did notice this. The St George dragon in a giants jersey IS NOT OUR MASCOT and while sponsership is vital having the sponsers mascot instead of the clubs as the teams break the banner is a bit inappropriate

G-man was there; not sure why he wasn’t more prominent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back