Autopsy Round 6: Hawks don’t leave lockdown. Pies play halfcourt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to get a read on what’s going on behind the scenes, however, the players appear to be completely devoid of confidence, lacking intensity and not willing to play for one another.

Yeah the maggots were shizen (what’s new) and we’re carrying a few who have gone a year or two too long and our gameplan needs a refresh and we have an unsettled side, however, the key issue is what’s going on between the ears - need to find a way to flick the switch as we’re clearly better than the diabolical crap that we served up tonight

That was an ugly game of football. Same problem as last week, ball bombing in forward and not organised enough to score. Credit to Collingwood they played a smart game. We also looked slow, wasn’t good.

I know it's easy to s**t can the players, but I think Clarko's game plan is just not working for the list he has.
He is the one that has to drive the change.

Regardless of result tonight, why did AFL put us into tonight’s match off a 5 day break after playing the graveyard shift on Sunday night? There is a heap of teams sitting in hubs in Sydney. Surely that thought has to go through AFL’s minds when drawing up the roster? Melbourne Gold Coast and Sydney all could of slotted into tonight’s game for a more equitable draw.
Hawks were dead in the legs from the get go. Not an excuse for tonight’s performance but it just doesn’t add up.
I think Hocking will be the first to acknowledged he stuffed up. He meant to slot us into Thursday night’s game.

Gee wiz we are so hard to watch right now.

Gee wiz AFL is so frustrating to watch right now. I feel that I simply don’t understand the game any more the way it being officiated, and that’s all games, not just this one.
My highlight of how out of touch umps have become, last quarter O'Brien just takes possession, absolute split second possession is driven into the ground not only by Grundy but some other magpie player was riding Grundy, both land on O'Brien's back, ball spills out, play on.
Facepalm head shake then back to facepalm again.

I know it's easy to sh*t can the players, but I think Clarko's game plan is just not working for the list he has.

It's clearly not working. With Frost, Mitchell, Patton, and a fit Wingard on the list he should be getting better results. Something is clearly not right ATM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the year with shortened qtrs to blood players and find out what you have and what you need moving forward.

Let’s see Finn, Jiath and Jones next week against the Dees.

I would be happy for the club to give Stratton a break for a few weeks and give someone else the leadership reigns at the same time to see what we have in the ranks.

I'm not proud of this but honestly it was the first ever time in a game I have stopped watching before the final whistle. Through both our terrible performance & the umpiring just being flat out horrible (all year, every game, not just Hawthorn), I had to just switch it off at the Smith HTB decision. There can be zero justification for a decision like that when it is so obviously not a free kick, umpires actually need to start being held accountable for their performance along with the players.

From what I saw:

I have no idea why we persist with Puopolo over any young small forward. I know people complain about Hanrahan but I would much rather him playing than Poppy.

O'Brien cops it but he gets zero consistency in a game when he is chucked everywhere, he is a FF, play him out of the square.

Our midfield needs a kick up the ass to actually learn to dispose of the ball to a team mate, its fine winning some contested possessions but when you're handballing or kicking it straight to a bloke under pressure its useless.

We lacked any ability to stop their run off half back, they did it with ease the whole game handballing out to a runner in space.

I'm all for McEvoy playing down back when we need height down there, tonight we did not need it at all (unless he was on Cox) so it was strange to see him playing down there & not be on the tallest bloke.

As for the positives:
Day, absolutely fantastic first game, he keeps his spot without a doubt even if Scrimshaw is fit.
Frost was once again very good, he has been probably our most consistent player this year.
Sicily was very good, got unlucky with a few frees against but otherwise I thought he played well.
Smith was good, had a few fumbles but overall he was one of the best for us tonight if not the best.

Cut:
Poppy - game has gone by, thanks for your contribution
Scully - don't care if you run 20km, learn to stick a tackle.

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

I know it's easy to sh*t can the players, but I think Clarko's game plan is just not working for the list he has.
Clarko just hasn’t adopted to the modern game - we can’t use the tall lineup with kicking/marking and keepings off style of play anymore...
The modern game is all built around quick ball movement and supreme tackling pressure when the opposition have the ball. You have to tackle the opponent or bring frontal pressure when they are bringing it out of your forward line or you are stuffed- they will take it through he middle of the ground up the other end and score.
We just play too tall, slow and not physical enough- need more quick, strong, tackling, goal kicking types to slow the opposition down, create turnovers and then make them pay.

Last edited:
Feel a lot better about things after listening to Clarko.

No doubt two horrible outings but our lead up and preparation for the last two games has been very challenging in comparison to our opponents.

Regaining their confidence, particularly with the current restrictions will be a challenge - won't be surprised if they break open a few slabs and try put the past 6 days behind them - but with a 9 day break we'll be able to freshen up a lot more.

Why do we go in with 2 rucks realise it doesn’t work, put big boy in the ruck at half time and then pick the same structure the following week?
Agree.
Should play at least 3 if not 4 rucks.

Clarko played the short break and upheaval of 2 days to enter the hub card for the poor performance tonight.

This is the year with shortened qtrs to blood players and find out what you have and what you need moving forward.

Let’s see Finn, Jiath and Jones next week against the Dees.

I would be happy for the club to give Stratton a break for a few weeks and give someone else the leadership reigns at the same time to see what we have in the ranks.
Just a straight question.
If Strats wasn't captain would you and others be making the same calls.
Thought he was having a crack tonight, far from good but had plenty of mates.
Just feel that since he was made captain some think he should be wearing a cape or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back