Review Round 6 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks OK here
Yeah, looked to be skating around a bit quicker yesterday. Would have been significantly more damaging if he could just one touch the ball a few times.

1st in Max Speed (32.9km/h)
4th in Total Sprint Efforts (21)
2nd in Repeat Sprint Efforts (4)
5th in Average Speed in Attack (8.7km/h)
3rd in Pressure Acts (23)
4th in Contested Possessions (14)

Probably came from being happier playing more in the middle than usual since 22 of his 29 disposals came between the arcs.

The thing about Derm is that he likes to see young guys and guys that cop a bit of criticism succeed. Some times this sounds a bit like barracking when hes openly encouraging guys when they do something well. He did it a bit yesterday with Majak. Also, the fact that we were 4-5 goals up for most of the day means that you're not going to hear much excitement about the team kicking away. Nothing to get shitty about.
Yeah I reckon he just likes to appear as if he is always rooting for the underdog...

I thought the commentary was biased - whenever there was a 50/50 involving a Port player it was “lucky to not give away a free” or “that should have been a free to North”, whenever there was a 50/50 involving a North player it was either not mentioned at all or “nothing in it” or “gee he’s a tough hard player”. All day.

Thought all our indigenous boys were pretty good today. Barry is yet to play in a Port loss. Just needs to finish off and break his goal virginity.
Seems to have a mental issue with goal kicking. Should have nailed several over the games hes played. Hoping once he kicks one confidence will build

Ok I need some of you strategists to offer an explanation on this.

I thought we ran in waves with a chain of handball too much at times yesterday and when it looked naturally the moment to execute the kick we instead kept handballing. We had space and time to kick the ball but instead ran out of space with this chain of handball until we were foiled by pressure. Why do we do this? What's the purpose/advantage of this? It seems like we got to chalk up a quota of handballs prior to kicking.
Good observation. At a guess, I'd say that they've put a lot of work into finding the right formula for our ball movement, which is one of the keys to how well we play.
There's been 3 games where our ball movement has been good, and 3 when it hasn't (including the Brisbane win). Maybe this is just an attempt to improve our ball movement.
We look a lot better when our receivers are in motion rather than 3 or 4 guys within a metre or two of each other under increasing pressure trying to play keepings off. This may be part of it at least.

also probably for the unpopular opinion thred but seeing us at etihad vs bombers and now vs kangas it was pretty refreshing not having a liability in an unfit rockcliff out there from a pace perspective the side seemed more fluent with its speed
Rockcliff should not have played a game until he was fit. This is what totally shits me about Ken. Its destructive. Sometimes it appears that it's all about image instead of the basics about footy. If u r not fit u dont play, no buts.

Rockcliff should not have played a game until he was fit. This is what totally shits me about Ken. Its destructive. Sometimes it appears that it's all about image instead of the basics about footy. If u r not fit u dont play, no buts.
With that attitude Nic Naitanui shouldn't be getting games for West Coast.

As long as the Hoff doesn't decide to retire prematurely for some random country/hipster reason he's not close to being finished either when he can play like that in basically every position on the ground.

I made the call that he's our more versatile Dustin Fletcher due to how durable he is, should easily get to the 300 game milestone and then some. Love it when he goes into beast mode like he did today.
Yep, when his intent is there he's fantastic. Always had freakish skills for his size. Close to our best player this season imo. Best season since 2014, hope he can keep the effort going.

I didn't feel there was much bias, more that there was no bias to the point of indifference. Regarding Sandy, just treat him as comic relief because if you don't take how bad he is too seriously, it's actually funny at just how bad he is.

This is how I picture Sandy doing his grocery shopping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines got absolutely pounded during that game. They worked him over at every opportunity. May need a rat.

1rzy4a.jpg

Cant comment on that as I'm not aware of the circumstances re whether there are fit replacements. Rocky didnt need to play and history shows it was a very poor decision for everyone.

The fact that he played almost exclusively as a forward is testament to this. He isn’t a forward, has no forward sensibilities, and 100% of his value is gonna be in the trenches for us. The “he could potentially spend a lot of time forward” stuff in the pre-season was concerning to say the least. We seem to have an obsession with placing players where they have the least value.

Cant comment on that as I'm not aware of the circumstances re whether there are fit replacements. Rocky didnt need to play and history shows it was a very poor decision for everyone.
Well they're playing both Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett in the AFL team.

Their rookie Fraser McInnes seems to be dominating in the WAFL and I think Nathan Vardy is almost back from a groin issue.

Currently wiping egg off my face. This team is so Jekyll/Hyde, I would love some consistency. No idea where we sit. Great win with odds stacked against us, why can’t we see this hunger every week. That loss against Geelong last week infuriated me after a game like that.

I would take our inconsistency over Carlton's consistency every time...

Ok I need some of you strategists to offer an explanation on this.

I thought we ran in waves with a chain of handball too much at times yesterday and when it looked naturally the moment to execute the kick we instead kept handballing. We had space and time to kick the ball but instead ran out of space with this chain of handball until we were foiled by pressure. Why do we do this? What's the purpose/advantage of this? It seems like we got to chalk up a quota of handballs prior to kicking.

It's hard watching on TV because you can't see what's on up the field.

Overhandballing has been an issue for us but the more we practice the better it'll get.

It was a good game to watch because we won but as a spectacle it was forgettable. At least this week someone told a couple of players to stay in the forward line so we didn't finish up with 18 defenders and no one to kick to when we moved the ball forward. A win is a win and well done to the players but in all honesty we beat a side that will struggle to make the eight.

I really lament the way the game is heading as we have a group of Coaches nationwide who continue to persevere with 'flooding' and 'pressing' tactics. The result is that in many games we finish up with 36 players up one end of the ground and the ball being chipped and handballed around as if the players were in some sort of stat building competition. We no longer see the high marking or long kicking that we once saw but instead are forced to witness chains of five metre hand balls that result in the ball finishing where it started.

But I digress as the significance of the win was not in the way we played but in the fact that we won on the road after a pretty stressful week. Well done Port Adelaide.

PS One positive from yesterday was Tom Jonas. I have been a critic over Tom's lack of discipline at times but I really marvel at his ability to take on and beat guys who are 12cm taller than he is. I thought Jonas, Justin Westhoff and Sam Gray, all of who have their critics on this site, put in great efforts yesterday.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back