Autopsy Round 7, 2022: Hawks fail against Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't assume having played in a premiership makes you better than any of the many non premiership players running around the AFL.

Lewis - our KPF and basically equal leader of Coleman before injury.
CJ - our best running back and becoming one of the best in the AFL at this role.
Rucks - both our main 2, one of which is captain.
Brent Renouf won a flag how was he as a player? This narrative we were missing X amount of premiership players is irrelevant really. It's who you were missing that's the key. Salem, Jackson and Petty were big outs agreed. Pickett's role can be covered adequately IMO and so can ANB's role. These guys are cogs in the wheel not elite players.

Kanes a tool , but credit where its due he will admit if he gets it wrong ....begrudgingly .
He assumed Mitchell was thrown to wolves , we had no young talent and the older brigade would resent the trade statergy.

As a great philospher once said 'dont assume , its leads to assumptions '
Jerry Seinfeld
Don’t assume it makes a ass of u and me

Not sure where to put this but some great stuff on the first crack about us.

• constantly had a player positioned behind May all game . Vision is an interesting watch.
  • highest score and highest scoring % per inside 50 against Melbourne for the season
  • Finn tagging Langdon not allowing him to push wide to the boundary .

Got a very switched on coach/coaching group .

Yeah yeah Finn's a good runner and covered a lot of Kms but he seemed to spray the ball everytime he got it and turned it over ...
Really poor kicking .
Am I the only one seeing this ?
He doesn’t spray them. He doesn’t understand how to kick to a team mates advantage and doesn’t appreciate how quickly space gets closed down at afl level. But he isn’t kicking wild helicopters to no one like Langford used to. Needs time at afl level to improve his judgment. And everyone has noticed this…

He doesn’t spray them. He doesn’t understand how to kick to a team mates advantage and doesn’t appreciate how quickly space gets closed down at afl level. But he isn’t kicking wild helicopters to no one like Langford used to. Needs time at afl level to improve his judgment. And everyone has noticed this…
I think there's a technique flaw re his ball drop mate. Kicks off the in step quite frequently.

And Will Day notches another game. One step closer to greatness. Was a bit wobbly by foot this week but I’m confident he will unleash next week with CJ back in the team. Watch out Bombres…

Ben brown shits me. He’s tall as with long arms and he’ll put one arm up and play for a free. Glad he’s not a hawk

I think there's a technique flaw re his ball drop mate. Kicks off the in step quite frequently.
Be that as it may, the kicks are typically intercepted due to an error in judgment far more often than it is misdirected on execution to the opposition. I’m not suggesting he is only experience away from being very good. Just that experience will help him be good enough.

I should also say the same for Bramble. He has endured a very interrupted prep, give him a few weeks.
Criticism of Bramble is laughable.

First game, off limited prep, keeps Spargo completely irrelevant and yet he is questioned over hardness??

Guess what? He is not Gary Ayres. He has assests we have in short supply Speed and Skill. Just like when Hill added these much needed assests to our squad, some wanted him to play a physical role he was not in the team for. End rant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question time.....

Yes, they were missing a few, but we were too(and we don't have the same level of depth), so let's just square that away.

My question is 'Is that our level? Is that a realistic example of what level of football we are capable of?'.

Because I know we have people who will claim the very next time we lose that the type of good play we saw against the Cats, Dees and Port was us overachieving, and not a true reflection of our list.

Was yesterday(and the Cats, Port and Carlton games) a true reflection of our list and capability?

I think it was.
Hard agree

I’m interested to see if Dees lose their streak next week. It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve caused a team to struggle the following week.
First Crack outlined a couple of our tactics that they think clubs will have to try and copy to defeat them. The use of Finn on Langdon and his positioning, and how we played May.

Will be interesting to see if other clubs Try to mimic those strategies.

All you needed to do was mention Josh Kennedy and you would have had the trifecta of hard running dodgy kicking father sons.

Ben brown shits me. He’s tall as with long arms and he’ll put one arm up and play for a free. Glad he’s not a hawk
He is one player that I simply could not like or enjoy watching even if he did play for the Hawks.

Thought I’d have a look at the free kick counts this year based on a new coach and new game plan. Unfortunately nothing’s changed. We still seem to get a s**t run and the best we can hope for it seems is an even count. The Geelong game must have launched an internal investigation at HQ based on the last two weeks

North 25 v 25
Port 17 v 15
Carl 20 v 23
St K 25 v 27
Geel 25 v 18
Syd 22 v 29
Melb 14 v 26

I wonder if Chris gave his brother a call after that game?

The two games after the Geelong game were rather lop-sided, 22-29 (felt a lot worse at the ground) and 14-26. Seems like a clear change in free kick counts as the rest have been quite even.
Yeah i think commentators and reporters need to report both sides. I couldn't stand the one sided articles from the match reports.
So the outs for both were:

Dees: Salem, Luke Jackson, Pickett, Petty, Neale-Bullen, Sparrow and Hibberd.

Hawks: CJ, M.Lewis, Reeves/Mcevoy, Grainger-Barrass, Ward, H. Morrison.

I think we all acknowledge the Dees had important and better 'quality' outs than us. However, your depth managed to cover the outs way better than our rebuilding team could. Lewis and Jiath are just so important to us right now. Reeves and/or McEvoy to compete with Max would have also helped. Thought Lynchy fought hard, but let's face it, Max Gawn he isn't. DGB and even Harry Morrison have been playing important roles that we struggle to cover with our depth at this stage.
Impey was better. He is getting there.

I thought Impey started to read the play and have some influence the longer the game went on. Lets hope he continues that next week.

The two games after the Geelong game were rather lop-sided, 22-29 (felt a lot worse at the ground) and 14-26. Seems like a clear change in free kick counts as the rest have been quite even.

I think we all acknowledge the Dees had important and better 'quality' outs than us. However, your depth managed to cover the outs way better than our rebuilding team could. Lewis and Jiath are just so important to us right now. Reeves and/or McEvoy to compete with Max would have also helped. Thought Lynchy fought hard, but let's face it, Max Gawn he isn't. DGB and even Harry Morrison have been playing important roles that we struggle to cover with our depth at this stage.

I thought Impey started to read the play and have some influence the longer the game went on. Lets hope he continues that next week.

On replay derwayne read the list twice at the end of quarters. Failed to mention such as viney a very handy in

Our injuries meant that Max Gawn - best ruckman to play the game in a long time - was competing against two guys with a combined 7 games experience.

That's the game right there.

Imagine how the game would go if we played DGB and Will Day on Hawkins for a whole game as an example. It would be like the Schoenmaker development years. The rest of the ground can even out - but Ruck is a position where the contest is actually cleared out and the nomianted players have to compete. No other position on the ground is as exploitable when you're running with young players.

Our injuries meant that Max Gawn - best ruckman to play the game in a long time - was competing against two guys with a combined 7 games experience.

That's the game right there.

Imagine how the game would go if we played DGB and Will Day on Hawkins for a whole game as an example. It would be like the Schoenmaker development years. The rest of the ground can even out - but Ruck is a position where the contest is actually cleared out and the nomianted players have to compete. No other position on the ground is as exploitable when you're running with young players.
Big Maxy used to go to town against our seasoned rucks like Ceglar and Big Boy.

Putting Lynch and Callow up against Max was the equivalent of throwing the Christians to the Lions back in Roman times!

Not much Mitch could do though, we don't really have any other options at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back