Autopsy Round 7, 2022: Hawks fail against Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Question time.....

Yes, they were missing a few, but we were too(and we don't have the same level of depth), so let's just square that away.

My question is 'Is that our level? Is that a realistic example of what level of football we are capable of?'.

Because I know we have people who will claim the very next time we lose that the type of good play we saw against the Cats, Dees and Port was us overachieving, and not a true reflection of our list.

Was yesterday(and the Cats, Port and Carlton games) a true reflection of our list and capability?

I think it was.
It is hard to argue with. We know it needs to be a little better, the List quality needs to be better but you have to love the buy in to the new gameplan which is both enjoyable to play let alone watch. I have really appreciated even when we have been well beaten, how much the Group, the younger players in particular want to take the game on, yes there will be mistakes but it is a very good place we are heading to.

When we get the aforementioned improvements and players, the players will have also greater experience with the gameplan, execution will only improve. We will
Be up and down, but it is not a bad ride.

Last edited:
At the end of the day they were missing 6 premiership players and we were missing 1 premiership player who will retire soon and 5 players trying to make it.

Don't assume the same amount as outs as both missing the same quality.

And you can't expect people outside of hawthorn to look at potential the same as proven big game players. It is just the way it is.

Remember when we had a heap of injuries in 2015 and Clarko was ill - we got the job done with Bolton and got lauded for it. It happens when a club is a fine oiled machine. Bolton even got a senior gig out of it.
Don't assume having played in a premiership makes you better than any of the many non premiership players running around the AFL.

Lewis - our KPF and basically equal leader of Coleman before injury.
CJ - our best running back and becoming one of the best in the AFL at this role.
Rucks - both our main 2, one of which is captain.

I was happy with yesterday and think apart from the last quarter against the swans we can be pretty happy with the last 3 weeks. Just hope we get some reward over the next two weeks.

Reckon yesterday we almost broke even in the middle which was quite an achievement. Just hard nosed stuff and rucks were competitive against the best in the business.

Our backs held up pretty well. Not helped by a couple of umpire howlers and some pretty clinical inside 50 kicks.

Forwards didn’t quite click but gunston and Breust will play worse than that and kick goals. Lewis back and we will ask some big questions of an ordinary bombers defence.

I reckon we will be around the 8 come the bye and who knows from there.

He’s invisible to most. It’s really odd.

Any other top 10 pick plays like he does and they’d be gushing.

According to our BnF last year, he's even a bit invisible to our own coaching panel. Even this year I'd have had him in some AFLCA votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is a Geelong supporter contributing to a Hawthorn podcast?
He seems to wear the badge "Hawthorn's Grumpiest Supporter" as if it something worthy of respect instead of ridicule...

He’s invisible to most. It’s really odd.

Any other top 10 pick plays like he does and they’d be gushing.
The best he gets is the continual comparisons to Birchall. It's lazy.

Question time.....

Yes, they were missing a few, but we were too(and we don't have the same level of depth), so let's just square that away.

My question is 'Is that our level? Is that a realistic example of what level of football we are capable of?'.

Because I know we have people who will claim the very next time we lose that the type of good play we saw against the Cats, Dees and Port was us overachieving, and not a true reflection of our list.

Was yesterday(and the Cats, Port and Carlton games) a true reflection of our list and capability?

I think it was.
Last year, we lost a fair few games to weak teams and were mostly competitive against stronger teams. This year, I want to see us putting away weak teams. When that starts happening regularly, I will feel confident that the window is starting to open.

Last year, we lost a fair few games to weak teams and were mostly competitive against stronger teams. This year, I want to see us putting away weak teams. When that starts happening regularly, I will feel confident that the window is starting to open.

That's the real test, getting the W's when they're theoretically on offer.

Hell of a game for us in a lot of ways, disappointing that we didn't take some chances when they were there, but so hard to fault the effort, gameplan, and the team performance.

Bramble will be better for the run too, Impey is building, big Max showing signs of getting to the level we need him at, and younger players all making forward progress - older guys doing their part as well. Callow was interesting, based on that first mark he has tools that very few modern players do with those hands.

Some more straight kicking and we might have pinched it.

At the end of the day they were missing 6 premiership players and we were missing 1 premiership player who will retire soon and 5 players trying to make it.

And you can't expect people outside of hawthorn to look at potential the same as proven big game players. It is just the way it is.

Remember when we had a heap of injuries in 2015 and Clarko was ill - we got the job done with Bolton and got lauded for it. It happens when a club is a fine oiled machine. Bolton even got a senior gig out of it.
Just because a player is a premiership player doesn’t mean much. Will Langford was one. Toby green isn’t.

The top of the table reigning premiers has more depth than a rebuilding side. Shocking.

Whether they have premierships to their name is utterly irrelevant.

They had 5 outs, ranging in quality from crucial to to their team performance, to role players.

So did we.

The argument is not whether these players had arbitrary titles to their names, it's whether one team was at a greater disadvantage due to the amount of injuries..and I would say the answer is not at all

Last edited:

They had 5 outs, ranging in quality from crucial to to their team performance, to role players.

So did we.

The argument is not whether these players had arbitary titles to their names, it's whether one team was at a greater disadvantage due to the amount of injuries..and I would say the answer is not at all
Indeed. Say these exact same players were out due covid last year would the impact of them missing be less because they’re not “premiership players”?

Such a stupid concept

We had 5 missing from our best 22 by my count, but I think just Lewis and CJ back in would've got us the win.

Interesting that on the AFL website Kornes has done a little bit of a backflip on the Hawks in "the round so far". Says now that Mitchell looks like being a special coach, once he has all the pieces around him.
It does mean that he keeps his narrative that the list in terrible but it is just the coaching that is stopping them from being the worst team in the league

Means he doesn't have to fully backtrack

So did we.

The argument is not whether these players had arbitary titles to their names, it's whether one team was at a greater disadvantage due to the amount of injuries..and I would say the answer is not at all
Nah, Will Langford is better than Fyfe.

Don't assume having played in a premiership makes you better than any of the many non premiership players running around the AFL.
Wonder if any Melbourne fans don't rate Robbie Flower cause he isn't a premiership player............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back