Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

As we now have youth coming through there seems little point in persisting past this year with many of the fringe players who are mid aged and WAFL grade. The difficulty is how deep we cut. With a few retirements we could have a list turnover if 10 players quite easily but that is too many in the eyes of most.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Of course some are contracted. But if it’s a choice between someone who has played 50-120 games -and still hasn’t cemented their position - or someone with 20 games or less …

Disappointing night for sure. Negatives well and truly covered. Some positives for me:

-BBBW made plenty of mistakes, but I liked his combativeness. He's also starting to get first hands to the ball more often in ruck contests. His hitouts are not yet to great advantage, but that should come with time. Still trending in the right direction.
-XON showed a bit before getting crunched and hidden in the forward line. Hope he pulls up ok.
-SPS was great before that corky. Set the standard for defensive pressure.

Pretty slim pickings though. Let's see how they respond.

Also worth mentioning that Carlton were actually very good last night. I think they would have cracked under sustained pressure, but once they got the ball to the outside they were clean and efficient. Hopefully some good learning opportunities for the youngsters.

I hear you, and I accept there are swings and roundabouts in this sport, but otherwise I don’t agree. Nobody knows how Long, Bazzo, Ginbey or Culley will turn out. It’s too early to tell. We all hope they’ll be guns – of course we do. As I said, we are getting better at the drafting/trading gig. I don’t think Geelong have been up and about any less than we have, but look at the team they have built… We have had some reasonable pickups, but no Dangerfields or Jeremy Camerons, or even Gary Rohans or Isaac Smiths, for a while. My point is that clubs that have had consistent high draft picks have not always progressed, and clubs that perennially do well don’t always have good draft picks: there is an art to managing the draft and effective trading.
Geelong coaches Vic country in the colts , I wonder if this helps them identify talent with the extra access and input and resources I wonder if this also helps them attract in later years to Geelong with good memories of early coaching

Qué? Well okay then. Nuthin to worry about. No need to change a thing.

What’s this “footballing” business, by the way? You mean what we was doing at Optus yesterday?

Don’t be that guy…
"Don’t be that guy", really!!! wanting to be positive instead of caning the team.
Here is a fact for you RWG.
Every team without exception has been on the bottom of the ladder and had to rebuild.
It is our turn now and it will change.
Calm your heels Dude, we will overcome eventually.

"Don’t be that guy", really!!! wanting to be positive instead of caning the team.
Here is a fact for you RWG.
Every team without exception has been on the bottom of the ladder and had to rebuild.
It is our turn now and it will change.
Calm your heels Dude, we will overcome eventually.

Mate, my posts were about improving our performance in the draft/trading area. The team isn’t responsible for that, and I’m not caning the team (any more than any other poster has after yesterday’s debacle). I understand perfectly the circumstances that have led us to being 18th at this stage of the season. But there’s being positive and there’s being Pollyanna-ish. I read your post as being more the latter than the former. And I also read your other post suggesting that my comment (or I) was insane. There was no need for that. Hence the tone of my reply. Otherwise, peace brother ☮️

Mate, my posts were about improving our performance in the draft/trading area. The team isn’t responsible for that, and I’m not caning the team (any more than any other poster has after yesterday’s debacle). I understand perfectly the circumstances that have led us to being 18th at this stage of the season. But there’s being positive and there’s being Pollyanna-ish. I read your post as being more the latter than the former. And I also read your other post suggesting that my comment (or I) was insane. There was no need for that. Hence the tone of my reply. Otherwise, peace brother ☮️
Peace to you too Dude.

Geelong coaches Vic country in the colts , I wonder if this helps them identify talent with the extra access and input and resources I wonder if this also helps them attract in later years to Geelong with good memories of early coaching
Just like the Swans use their academy to nurture players, build data and relationships. Plus kids pay to participate generating a profit.

If the club has Tim Kelly as their “Best Eagle Afield” this week solely on the fact that he had the most possessions for us I’ll absolutely spew. Went at 37% DE with eight turnovers and was absolutely anonymous in the first quarter.

Not looking forward to playing:

Adelaide at AO (they're up n about)
Syd at SCG (obviously)
Bris at Gabba ()
Carl again
Ess At Etihad (fast speedy, opposite to us)

the other games meh

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The best thing with all those games is that they are away games, so I don't have to watch.

It's rough being a seated member at the moment. I refuse to leave early, but games like last night are testing my patience.

Hard to pick our best. SPS was best in terms of pressure but barely touched it. Kelly touched it a lot but probably shouldn’t have. BBBW competed well and I am very happy with his progress but was clumsy and wasn’t particularly effective. Culley was hidden in the forward line and was clean when he got it with a goal and a couple of great goal assists but didn’t have much of it.

Stuggling after that. JJ tried but it didn't really work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you, and I accept there are swings and roundabouts in this sport, but otherwise I don’t agree. Nobody knows how Long, Bazzo, Ginbey or Culley will turn out. It’s too early to tell. We all hope they’ll be guns – of course we do. As I said, we are getting better at the drafting/trading gig. I don’t think Geelong have been up and about any less than we have, but look at the team they have built… We have had some reasonable pickups, but no Dangerfields or Jeremy Camerons, or even Gary Rohans or Isaac Smiths, for a while. My point is that clubs that have had consistent high draft picks have not always progressed, and clubs that perennially do well don’t always have good draft picks: there is an art to managing the draft and effective trading.

You use the draft to build your core group and you supplement around it when you have a firm idea of your strengths and weaknesses. Geelong identified their problems post 2019 and drafted and recruited to fix that problem. Their entire front half is more or less new post 2020 with Cameron, Stengle, Rohan, Close, Miers plus whoever else I'm forgetting.

Geelong also got rid of Clark and Kreuger who weren't best 22 and surplus to their needs. Now those trades haven't done anything special (yet) but they're constantly looking for value.

Maybe we have struggled with recruiting & development but we also haven't had the picks to work with. It's easy for people to say we should have moved on X,Y,Z players be they old or young but unless we're trading them out for picks or players then you just expose yourself to going deeper in the draft.

WCE_phil is right in that we need as many top picks as possible to fix the core group of players and it's something Westcoast did well from 2014-2018.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

You use the draft to build your core group and you supplement around it when you have a firm idea of your strengths and weaknesses. Geelong identified their problems post 2019 and drafted and recruited to fix that problem. Their entire front half is more or less new post 2020 with Cameron, Stengle, Rohan, Close, Miers plus whoever else I'm forgetting.

Geelong also got rid of Clark and Kreuger who weren't best 22 and surplus to their needs. Now those trades haven't done anything special (yet) but they're constantly looking for value.

Maybe we have struggled with recruiting & development but we also haven't had the picks to work with. It's easy for people to say we should have moved on X,Y,Z players be they old or young but unless we're trading them out for picks or players then you just expose yourself to going deeper in the draft.

WCE_phil is right in that we need as many top picks as possible to fix the core group of players and it's something Westcoast did well from 2014-2018.
Great point, adding this view onto what Phil already setout I'm like the idea of filling up at this draft more and more.

Take out Newman, Cripps, Walsh, Pittonet, Silvagni and Fisher then replace with 1st year or under 20 game players.
Take out Clarke, Rotham, West, Edwards, Williams and Petrajelly then replace with Gov, Shuey, Yeo, NicNat, Cripps and Ryan (fit obviously).
It would be a completely different game I would say.

It's all well and good to say we can't keep blaming injuries but the flow on effect just keeps multiplying.
We should have, just talking mids here to make a point, say Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Kelly aaand Gaff as the "experienced players" and Ginbey, Culley, Chesser etc learning from and helping them. Instead we have just Kelly aaaand Gaff with, Clarke, West, Edwards, Culley, Ginbey, Xon etc doing more heavy lifting than they should be expected to do.
It is just an unfortunate and awful state we find ourselves in atm.

Take out Newman, Cripps, Walsh, Pittonet, Silvagni and Fisher then replace with 1st year or under 20 game players.
Take out Clarke, Rotham, West, Edwards, Williams and Petrajelly then replace with Gov, Shuey, Yeo, NicNat, Cripps and Ryan (fit obviously).
It would be a completely different game I would say.

It's all well and good to say we can't keep blaming injuries but the flow on effect just keeps multiplying.
We should have, just talking mids here to make a point, say Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Kelly aaand Gaff as the "experienced players" and Ginbey, Culley, Chesser etc learning from and helping them. Instead we have just Kelly aaaand Gaff with, Clarke, West, Edwards, Culley, Ginbey, Xon etc doing more heavy lifting than they should be expected to do.
It is just an unfortunate and awful state we find ourselves in atm.

Actually adding those experienced players back probably won’t make any difference. Half will be off before halftime injured and if they do survive we will get pumped still as seen in 2021 …

Remove this Banner Ad

Back