Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Williams showed a bit. Seems weird he's getting potted so much IMO.
Williams looked like he was trying to do to much. Would grab it and break away but handball straight to the opposition. Some of his hitouts were so unconventional I think it bamboozled our midfield.

The players look tired and sore. I get the impression that things may limp along like this for the next two matches until the bye at least.
A result like this was coming. The team had four straight 40+ point losses coming into this game and was further weakened by injury and soreness.
The above were the key points for mine.
An inexperienced team fatigued after playing four top teams in a row.
Young players thrown into the deep end, getting experience, but can't be held responsible for the current state of affairs. A full season of this will fast track their development.
Six games to the bye, which seems a long way off given our situation.
More injuries this week. Have to travel next week.The main thing is to keep up morale.
TK in an interview with Schoey, seemed positive and realistic, spoke like a leader, has really grown.
There could be more flat games like this, but improvement will come, as will the draft picks.
I imagine we'll have a better list after the bye (depending on injuries between now and then)

Biggest negative for me: leaving the game heard a kid telling his dad that at least when we play Gold Coast it should at least be a good game 'cos we probably won't be flogged. The next generation is already being conditioned to losing like this all the time :cry:
Take a bow Nisbett and Simpson. Your legacies at work

What's the read on Culley?

I would have expected him to be in the middle or at least rotate in there. Has the club stamped his papers, "never play him in the midfield"? Is he really that slow?

Can he carve out a career, even if it's on the half foward line?

Cheers

I would have expected him to be in the middle or at least rotate in there. Has the club stamped his papers, "never play him in the midfield"? Is he really that slow?

Cheers
I think they're trying to protect him somewhat, he looks pretty banged up

Williams looked like he was trying to do to much. Would grab it and break away but handball straight to the opposition. Some of his hitouts were so unconventional I think it bamboozled our midfield.
That’s the 100 point turn around? If Bailey doesn’t try to to do too much? Don’t think you should pott him for trying to get it going the other way.

Cheers
And yes, I like him, even if it's just as a high half forward who rotates through the middle

The above were the key points for mine.
An inexperienced team fatigued after playing four top teams in a row.
Young players thrown into the deep end, getting experience, but can't be held responsible for the current state of affairs. A full season of this will fast track their development.
Six games to the bye, which seems a long way off given our situation.
More injuries this week. Have to travel next week.The main thing is to keep up morale.
TK in an interview with Schoey, seemed positive and realistic, spoke like a leader, has really grown.
There could be more flat games like this, but improvement will come, as will the draft picks.
I imagine we'll have a better list after the bye (depending on injuries between now and then)
All good but it is players with 3-6 years experience that failed badly - we have drafted an entire generation of WAFL players - we can accept kids finding it tough

Cheers

It was disappointing not seeing him go to Cripps at stages. Not that tagging any 1 player would have changed the result in any way, but clearly Ginbey played on Cripps at stages for education and it was a missed opportunity not to have Culley do so as well.

Simpson is quite stubborn. Probably doesn’t want to confuse Culley while he is learning his role forward… however if the ball is barely down there it is kind of pointless.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

we have drafted an entire generation of WAFL players
Therein lies the problem with being a successful team in the past. Our recruiting has been middle to lower picks for that long that we are now experiencing
the results.
Maybe we should have been more brutal with moving players on earlier but it is not the WC way.

All good but it is players with 3-6 years experience that failed badly - we have drafted an entire generation of WAFL players - we can accept kids finding it tough

I think all (including the club) knew/know that West, Clark and now Xon are WAFL grade, who can be called on occasionally as the emergency backup to fill a role for a few weeks.

The issue is that the best players in their positions are all out so we expect them to be the main men, and unfortunately they are not good enough. Obviously a big issue as to why our premier mids are out, but that is a separate conversation.

As we now have youth coming through there seems little point in persisting past this year with many of the fringe players who are mid aged and WAFL grade. The difficulty is how deep we cut. With a few retirements we could have a list turnover if 10 players quite easily but that is too many in the eyes of most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of a worry that bazzo looked cook 10mins after coming on as the sub.

He shouldn’t be near the first team in theory. Majorly disrupted pre-season, he needed a really good 4-6 weeks in the WAFL before coming in (and then hopefully would be in for the rest of the season).

Out of necessity had to play… And now last night copped a head knock and will now be out for next week :(

Bunch of nannies on here. Tassi is coming in with a compromised drafts and possible reduced list sizes. The good old boys will make sure Tassi works (that means we pay). Now is the perfect time to be filling our boots at the draft table.

See I have no issue with just being bad, finishing low and loading up. But have a crack. The last 3 weeks we did and there were positives and things to get excited over.

Last night we didn't have a crack, they turned up their toes.

Sure, and as someone else mentioned that's partly because we were a top side in the upper reaches of the ladder for some time and got access to the picks available for that scenario. However we still had choices within that frame.

Agree, we need to maximise the draft this season, possibly why we are now on the bottom?
Simmo/the club might be milking the situation or seizing the opportunity while they can, but avoiding the tanking tag, within the limits. It's the best opportunity to do so, to get the best picks for a rebuild and the future climb back up, so why wouldn't you?

It's a balancing act though, still have to keep supporters invested, money coming in, player's morale up, and to be seen to be doing and saying the right things for the AFL, like "We play to win".
Getting two rising star nominations really helps the cause and legitimacy. Gives the club some credence, like we're actually trying, which of course we are...aren't we.
If any of this were true, I'd be happy with that, to endure another long season of woe, for the best draft picks.
Not that we have much choice.

Last edited:
I personally think B Williams may be coming good but can someone please tell me why he finds it impossible to time his leap at a centre bounce? He continually jumps early meaning he is basically landing on the ground again when tapping it. His supposed massive vertical leap may as well not exist.

Surely this is a basic timing thing that could be cleaned up in one training session. Has been annoying the $&@& out of me since we drafted him.

Sure, and as someone else mentioned that's partly because we were a top side in the upper reaches of the ladder for some time and got access to the picks available for that scenario. However we still had choices within that frame.

Agree, we need to maximise the draft this season, possibly why we are now on the bottom?
Simmo/the club might be milking the situation or seizing the opportunity while they can, but avoiding the tanking tag, within the limits. It's the best opportunity to do so, to get the best picks for a rebuild and the future climb back up, so why wouldn't you?

It's a balancing act though, still have to keep supporters invested, money coming in, player's morale up, and to be seen to be doing and saying the right things for the AFL, like "We play to win".
Getting two rising star nominations really helps the cause and legitimacy. Gives the club some credence, like we're actually trying, which of course we are...aren't we.
If any of this were true, I'd be happy with that, to endure another long season of woe, for the best draft picks.
Not that we have much choice.
Thats a BGO. The Cats say hi.

We just didnt do it well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back