Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The club (justifiably) setup to try and choke the stoppages, given Carlton's strength in that area.

Unfortunately, it didn't work - Carlton still won contested possessions by 23, and with Eagles players moving to get in close, when possession got to the outside the Blues were off to the races every single time.

Uncontested possessions: 159-308.

It's impossible to defend against that. The opponent has far too much time and space to pick out targets and execute disposal without interference.

In the end the team fatigued early chasing shadows and was well beaten in every area of the ground.

The players look tired and sore. I get the impression that things may limp along like this for the next two matches until the bye at least.

Perhaps the most disappointing (or most damning) aspect of the performance was despite having 167 more disposals, Carlton managed to out-tackle the Eagles 83-64.

A result like this was coming. The team had four straight 40+ point losses coming into this game and was further weakened by injury and soreness.

It's an awful, demoralising and regressive outcome that should demand better from all involved. But what really can be done right now though? It would be like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Move on, find some fit players and rest those who are not, and take the knowledge forward to add to the growing list of players who will be cut at the end of the season.

Carlton have a draw so they dont need % and they still felt the need to go as hard as they could in the last half. In a sick way, respect.
someone look up if we flat tracked draw victims back in the day please...

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

coaching box has got a lot to wear. Let’s put out most outside mid in Gaff head to head with the raging bull Cripps!

Simmo says we were undersized! Rotham is 1 cm shorter that Curnow. Having played as a KPD and is higher levels considered undersized, I was taught how to defend bigger opponents (not just height but weight). Rotham was less interested in guarding grass but had no idea on what to do with Curnow. He was consistent - he kept making the same mistake all night.

It might have been just me but I thought the team looked nervous and lacked composure. BWilliams was determined to handball yo someone not in the clear while previous weeks he has made better decisions and not frozen. Not just him but across all lines.

LEdwards, Duggan and Rotham are lucky tgst they are contracted beyond this year.

We won the flag in 2006 and won the wooden spoon 4 years later. It is comforting that King Nessie I has learnt from this and managed to steer us away from catastrophe with lessons learnt. There again when you appoint your own board, no wonder they retain you Trev.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negatives
Ginbey looked tired despite playing limited game time the last two weeks. Needs a break I guess but didn’t see any burst or run from him.

Even though we got smashed in the middle, Culley still sat forward and didn’t get involved.

Xon looked ok then got hurt

Bazzo started as sub even though he’s already better then Rotham and now will miss next week with concussion.

Kelly turned the ball over every chance he got

Duggans kicking was awful

Darling looks like he’s playing injured

Lacked any sort of leadership out there

Felt like a real step backwards today. With the familiar sinking feeling of having the injury list as the hope for better performances.

I'm just worried that we've been beaten by an average to good side by 100 points at home.

Shudder to think what the margin will be when we play a great side away.

The boys looked tired today.

Having probably a third of your team not really up to AFL standard doesn't help.

The worst part is I don't think we've reached rock bottom yet.

Not sure if Bunga should be a negative or a positive TBH.
Positive that he's still playing good footy and negative that he's still one of our best at his age.

Credit to Hurn. Copped an almighty hit but still fought on.

Rotham is listed at 193cm and 86kg. For someone of his size I don't think I've ever seen a softer player.

But the other positive is as others have said we find out about our fringe players and I suspect that at years end there will be some very easy decisions to make.

Negatives
Ginbey looked tired despite playing limited game time the last two weeks. Needs a break I guess but didn’t see any burst or run from him.

Even though we got smashed in the middle, Culley still sat forward and didn’t get involved.

Xon looked ok then got hurt

Bazzo started as sub even though he’s already better then Rotham and now will miss next week with concussion.

Kelly turned the ball over every chance he got

Duggans kicking was awful

Darling looks like he’s playing injured

Lacked any sort of leadership out there

Felt like a real step backwards today. With the familiar sinking feeling of having the injury list as the hope for better performances.
Generally we are 1-2 pre-seasons and smart drafts away from a fast power running side. A few counters to your specifics.

Cullley isnt the answer agaisnt their spread he is slow, however as a forward he played the length of the ground and was found out as were others.
Feel sorry for Basso but he is not fit - missed the preseason with an injury then was tragicall out of footy for a while. Why sacrifice the kid, he is only 19.
Darling is injured but he is our only effective target.
We dont a have a leader
10 players out there are not and never will be AFL winners - loved by some here (and they are good people) perhaps the ones waiting for Brander to come good.

Games like yesterday when backs are really against the wall help show who to move on at the end of theit contract.

Blind freddie (an me on BF) knew the big forwards would out class us as we lined up, our forwards would be too slow and our mids non existent. but we had 24 suspects thats it.

I, for one, cannot really think of a positive from that - perhaps that the game is finally over and we are anotehr game closer to seasons end.

Please take it easy on each other here.

Fire away.
Sps has found his niche

Williams is improving bit by bit - i can see something there, like having another mid

Unfortunate that Bazzo took a head knock. I would have liked to see more.

Seems a good size and hopefully he would have learned a bit. I did have to chuckle when he came on and lined up on Charlie Curnow for the first time. Chiseled classical greek statue looking bloke with 7+ on the board and we wheel out the dough-bodied work experience kid to slow him down.

I thought Williams showed a bit. Seems weird he's getting potted so much IMO.

The team is clearly at breaking point. Effort was really solid first half with zero polish to put anything of value on the scoreboard. Once we started to tire it was a turkey shoot.

Not looking forward to next week. I'm expecting more of the same but with less effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back