Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats fan at work telling me today our rebuild has failed as we picked the wrong blokes, and have no spine.

I said "at least we've been to the draft"

Enjoy your 15 blokes over 30 you *ing 🤡
We have been saying Geelong are going to fall off a cliff for 10 years. They just keep finding players to step into the shoes of their retiring players.

We are light years away from them as a footy club at the moment. Sad really.

Cats fan at work telling me today our rebuild has failed as we picked the wrong blokes, and have no spine.

Last time a cats fan took a shot at me i sent him pictures of the '08 premiership cup...

They are, and will forever be, headf**ed by it.

And throw in the '89 for good measure.

I just remind them that no matter how well they have been going over the years it still took a Hawthorn three time premiership player to get them over the line.

Unfortunately your Cat fan is probably right.
With hindsight we’d love to have another crack at pick 7 in the 2021 draft and pick 6 in the 2020 draft.

And our spine is certainly the worst in the league.

All credit to Geelong (as much as it pains me to concede that), they’ve drafted and traded brilliantly over the last 3 or 4 years.

I know I need to move on but I just watched the replay of the front on contact free against Gunston, which cost Chol a goal. That would have to be the worst decision I have ever seen in all my years of watching footy. I still can't see how the umpire came to that decision. It's in the second quarter with about 15mins remaining on the clock if you're feeling brave.

I know I need to move on but I just watched the replay of the front on contact free against Gunston, which cost Chol a goal. That would have to be the worst decision I have ever seen in all my years of watching footy. I still can't see how the umpire came to that decision. It's in the second quarter with about 15mins remaining on the clock if you're feeling brave.

I saw this game at 40000 feet live on Emirates which helped me learn how to rein myself in without shouting at the screen. In hindsight I won't blame most of the players for effort as they tried their hardest but the reality is we were not good enough against the class of Heeney, Gulden and the Sydney defense who I still can't remember dropping a mark. Our midfield for most part were running around like headless chooks while Sydney were measured and organized with how they went about it. I am not under any delusion that we would have had a different result if the umpiring was half decent especially in that first half. As a young team it doesn't help when some of those pathetic calls go against you. All of a sudden you are not only trying to cope against a much more superior Sydney team but you have to fight the clueless umpiring as well.

As a fan what would you give now to have a Hodge/Birch bring it out of defense and transition the ball through a Mitch/Lewis straight into the hands of a Buddy/Roughy and in the event they don't mark have a Rioii/Poppy at their feet to lock it in or even better snap a goal.

It’s a joke that Players can literally punch people in the stomach and get a fine, but a push “must be deemed” a strike.

Their easy fodder if you put them in their place and punish

It’s easy to do …hit them hard and watch them crumble

I worked in Geelong in 2014 (which was very fun in the grand final run up and aftermath) - there was a fellow Melbourne ring-in working in the office who supported the Bulldogs. We were chatting about who was going to be their new coach and I was saying that maybe Gary Ayres would get another crack at the AFL to which one of the older ladies who worked there piped up 'no, because he wasted the greatest player who ever played the game!' to which I replied 'no, he never coached Leigh Matthews he played with him' which had her sit down in a huff very quickly.

What the hell was Hardwick doing in the first instance, trying to snap it around the corner when he is 20m out and almost directly in front of goals. Same with MacDonald the week before, you knew both would miss before they even took the shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell was Hardwick doing in the first instance, trying to snap it around the corner when he is 20m out and almost directly in front of goals. Same with MacDonald the week before, you knew both would miss before they even took the shot.
We've been hitting all our snaps really skinny in recent weeks. Not sure what's the story there, perhaps just statistical anomaly, perhaps fatigue or rushing.

I'd prefer reliable kicks like Hardwick just trust his action.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Yep, amateur hour in the extreme. I didn’t think Dimma had that type of thing in him.

They're getting more from their older players and they're distributed a lot more evenly across their lines. We sorely lack the senior leadership in the midfield especially.

I think our best is better but they have the ability to perform closer to their best far more consistently than we could dream of at present. They'll be in more games and give themselves chances of winning because of it.
Despite all this they should have lost by close to 10 goals if you look at how dominant the Suns were in all the key stats. The Eagles straight kicking kept it to a reasonable margin at the end of the game. Were getting a bit carried away with 3-4 weeks of competitive performances with 2 very good performances from them. Away from home there going to struggle still.

Yep depth is definitely there, look at Box Hill having finished near the top for the past few seasons, just need either A. Some of our current talent to take the next level or B. Recruit / Draft the talent who are a class above everyone else
The reason Box Hill are a very competitive team is because there's a bunch of players who are at that in between level ATM. Very good players at that level but can't make the step up if required as of yet. There is not a whole lot of difference with the seniors. Were an even squad but don't have enough elite players. Looks at Sydney's reserves. There struggling because most of their VFL players are depth players at AFL level. Big drop off from their bottom few AFL level players. We need to have that scale flipped where we have both teams highly competitive every week and that only happens by players getting better or we get better players into the team.

The reason Box Hill are a very competitive team is because there's a bunch of players who are at that in between level ATM. Very good players at that level but can't make the step up if required as of yet. There is not a whole lot of difference with the seniors. Were an even squad but don't have enough elite players. Looks at Sydney's reserves. There struggling because most of their VFL players are depth players at AFL level. Big drop off from their bottom few AFL level players. We need to have that scale flipped where we have both teams highly competitive every week and that only happens by players getting better or we get better players into the team.
To try and simplify it you wouldn't see a Josh Ward run around in the 2s for Sydney. Most of their reserves will barely even get a look in because there a fair way off the level whereas there isn't much difference between a CMAC or a Josh Ward. Our depth isn't the issue it's the quality of the point of difference with the depth.

Was at the game on Sunday and thought the umpiring, particularly in the first half, was deplorable. Watched the replay again tonight and it looked much worse with the cameras in close on tv. Our performance was not as bad as the scoreboard would suggest. We were umpired out of that game by half time. There were 8 or 9 instances in that first half which we should cite to the AFL to please explain how the f*k the umpires came to that decision. I know we missed a lot of shots and I know Sydney ran the ball out and linked up well. But anyone who thinks that kind of one sided officiating doesn’t affect the confidence of a young team giving it their all, then they don’t know sh*t. The inexplicable decisions continued in the third quarter but the game was well out of reach by then. Seriously, we need to ask for a please explain, because this has happened in most games this year, and it’s demoralising

Was at the game on Sunday and thought the umpiring, particularly in the first half, was deplorable. Watched the replay again tonight and it looked much worse with the cameras in close on tv. Our performance was not as bad as the scoreboard would suggest. We were umpired out of that game by half time. There were 8 or 9 instances in that first half which we should cite to the AFL to please explain how the f*k the umpires came to that decision. I know we missed a lot of shots and I know Sydney ran the ball out and linked up well. But anyone who thinks that kind of one sided officiating doesn’t affect the confidence of a young team giving it their all, then they don’t know sh*t. The inexplicable decisions continued in the third quarter but the game was well out of reach by then. Seriously, we need to ask for a please explain, because this has happened in most games this year, and it’s demoralising
well said

Thought the same the umpiring is in crisis it’s having a major influence on games.

A good game from the umpires is a game where you don't notice the umpires.
We literally haven't had ONE this game.
It's honestly a crisis for our code currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back