Review Round 7 - West Coast @ PF Stadium - 28th April 2024 - 1:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Day is officially in the team. Can’t understand it. Not even as a chop out ruck.

He has the ability to get into teams and stay on lists like no player I’ve ever seen.

And hey, maybe he kicks a bag to prove me wrong! Good luck to the veteran.

Day getting a game in front of Casbolt must be a joke surely.
Day would struggle to get a kick in the QAFL. Seriously unbelievable.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest, neither should be playing at any stage this season. Casboult has been very ordinary in the ressies, and Day his usual ordinary.

So many other options Dimma could use up fwd. I’m dumbfounded.

To be honest, neither should be playing at any stage this season. Casboult has been very ordinary in the ressies, and Day his usual ordinary.

So many other options Dimma could use up fwd. I’m dumbfounded.
In my mind, we have Day in the team because we refuse to play Luko forward.

And while I think Read needs some time to develop, trading Read out for Day was not what I had envisioned.

I can't understand it either.
But this match committee has been bold enough to pick Walter, Graham and The Closer as soon as possible and they are now best 23 players. Wait and see on Rogers and Read, who also got picked early, but the others are there on merit now.

Day must play the role that they want him to play well enough to be the backup (and Levi has not played well enough), and they also want Luko to bed down a place in defence instead of swapping every few weeks. This will be fine if Luko can start kicking close to 90% out of defence, like a lot of the best kickers out of there.

West Coast at home is one of those games which is a nightmare for fans. If you win no one really cares because you’re supposed to win, and if the game is remotely tight late on or you lose then everyone can write you off for while. Regardless of the Eagles’ recent form the Suns are still clear favourites for this one and can’t afford to slip up.

Just to fray the nerves further Sam Day is back in the lineup for another random game against West Coast in place of Ethan Read who has been managed. This is a real blow to Levi Casboult’s prospects for the season, you would think he would be the obvious choice but for a well past it Sam Day to get picked suggests Levi is really not going well. This also cements the really tall lineup Hardwick is clearly going to stick with. It feels like a reasonable call given the size of the Eagles lineup which features 8 players over 190cm tall. All I can say is I hope Sam Day proves me wrong and plays a blinder......
https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/04/26/avoid-the-banana-skin-suns-v-eagles-preview/

This is not Eagles from the last 2 years decimated by injuries.

Eagles missing Allen, Barrass, Reid, Flynn. Suns missing Weller, Rosas.

Despite adding Atkins and Day we are still close to 1 year younger than Eagles and 12 games less experienced.

Suns play 4 debutants, Eagles none. Suns have 4 players under 20, Eagles 2. Players under 50 games Suns 7, Eagles 8.

Eagles middle trio Yeo, Kelly, Ginbey is formidable and in form. B Williams turned into a decent ruck.

Yes, because it's on Gold Coast Suns are favourite but if it would be at Optus (like it will later in the season) not sure who would be favourite.

Day > Casboult this year from what I have seen.

Luko preferred by Dimma down back.

Atkins better ball user > Uwland.

Rogers will show more in 2nd game (I hope).

Suns midfield will respond at home (I hope).

What I AM TOLD people have to say about Jeffrey issues if any?

Considering that Suns are still learning system and experiment with the line-up it's far from foregone conclusion. Eagles dismantled Freo convincingly (who played decent footy until then).

Suns by 25+ (since I will be there).

Last edited:
It's a massive step backwards playing Day.
Jeffery should be playing. You could get a random 6f5i bloke from the QAFL who would be just as effective standing around doing absolutely nothing

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Waiting for I AM TOLD on Jeffrey :) Dimma saying publicly that Jeffrey has to work on off-field consistency would indicate that there were some issues which public is not privy to.

Is Dimma approaching Dew level already?

Last edited:
So far this year we haven't really improved. We have beaten 3 bottom 5 teams, haven't gotten close to anyone else. If we beat West Coast thats 4 bottom 5 teams.
I was promised that if we just got rid of Dew that would fix everything 🤔
I got to agree. We did not take any major scalp. We did show some good footy in patches.

Excuse is the team is learning a new plan which will take min 10 games and still experimenting with a line-up. Only 4 more games to go and then we should be able to rejoice great performances, wins, finals :)

Last edited:
I got to agree. We did not take any major scalp. We did show some good footy in patches.

Excuse is the team is learning a new plan which will take min 10 games. Only 4 more games to go and then we should rejoice.
Is the 10 game adjustment just purely based off GWS improving at that rate, or are there other examples? Seems like an arbitrary number that the media are throwing around.

Lots of talk on the second half of the year too for the same reasons.

For me, it’s less about time to learn the gameplan and more time to find the players to play it. We still have a few players in awkward positions and a few on the fringe who may suit. And those are the players costing us in big moments.

Our scoring power is also a bit subpar, especially without Rosas.

Time will tell. We are definitely playing more kick-mark by trying to switch and want to attack from halfback. But for me, the only younger fringe players that I’m keeping an eye on are Jeffrey, Farrar, and maybe Johnston. They all have the attributes we want to play with: speed on the ball from back half. Nothing really exciting elsewhere in the VFL atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the 10 game adjustment just purely based off GWS improving at that rate, or are there other examples? Seems like an arbitrary number that the media are throwing around.

For me, it’s less about time to learn the gameplan and more time to find the players to play it. We still have a few players in awkward positions and a few on the fringe who may suit. And those are the players costing us in big moments.

Time will tell. We are definitely playing more kick-mark by trying to switch and want to attack from halfback. But for me, the only younger fringe players that I’m keeping an eye on are Jeffrey, Farrar, and maybe Johnston. They all have the attributes we want to play with: speed on the ball from back half. Nothing really exciting elsewhere in the VFL atm.
Dimma mentioned it quite often; 6-8 games, 10 games, after bye.

Personally, I expect it will take us the whole season. That way I can be only pleasantly surprised if we turn it on after bye 😂

If you listen to Fiorini interview on SEN, Dimma is huge on playing roles, does not care about numbers. Every player should know exactly where to run, where to be at any offensive, defensive situation. It seems, Fiorini knows and plays his role well. I did not have him in the best 22.

Personally, I am happy to give Dimma half season (and realistically the whole season) to make his own team and playing his style. But next year will be critical for Suns. We have to play finals in 2025.

Last edited:

I can’t remember exactly what he said but on afl 360 about playing kids now for benefit later in the season. And also said a couple of senior games is better experience than playing vfl games

I can’t remember exactly what he said but on afl 360 about playing kids now for benefit later in the season. And also said a couple of senior games is better experience than playing vfl games
I agree with that if the team and player are ready.

Playing in the ones and barely touching the ball or contributing in what amounts to a belting isn’t development though—we know this from years of playing kids and stifling their growth.

Gotta find the team balance to still compete. We’re pretty close though. And sometimes the kids are too good to waste in the VFL (E.g Rowell and Anderson).

In my mind, we have Day in the team because we refuse to play Luko forward.

And while I think Read needs some time to develop, trading Read out for Day was not what I had envisioned.
Luko is in the bad books of Day is preferred up forward.

Luko is in the bad books of Day is preferred up forward.
Seems like we’ve pigeonholed Luko into the “kicker” which I think is a mistake. His kicks from the backline have always been suspect as there is too much heat and too much congestion down field. Going forward to players on the lead suits him better I think, as it is more open.

I also think a few other players should take that role off him, but I also don’t want to throw Luko around too much. Tough one. I guess he just plays his role and see if the coach likes it long term.

So far this year we haven't really improved. We have beaten 3 bottom 5 teams, haven't gotten close to anyone else. If we beat West Coast thats 4 bottom 5 teams.
I was promised that if we just got rid of Dew that would fix everything 🤔
Was this meant for the Ben and Iva’s doom and gloom thread?
In our 4th game with a new coach and a heap of new kids, We had the Giants rattled for 3/4qtrs
Who people say are premiership fancies.

Do better.

Just have a feeling…

19cc065fb709b2f813c2943931a0832c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was this meant for the Ben and Iva’s doom and gloom thread?
In our 4th game with a new coach and a heap of new kids, We had the Giants rattled for 3/4qtrs
Who people say are premiership fancies.

Do better.
Rattled? We where close but we didn't have them rattled. Felt like a typical Suns game, we play 3 quarters of at the level football then can never put it together when it counts. We should absolutely be beating teams like the Dogs and yet we got smashed. You cannot say we are a better team so far. We are just beating up on the s**t teams.

GAME DAY!

I'm hoping to see a similar result to the Hawthorn game today but I'll take any type of win.

I'm also echoing the hopes of others that we'll see Walter kick his first bag this afternoon!

Let's get it.

Sam day kicking a career best bag of 2 to shut the haters up today

GAME DAY!

I'm hoping to see a similar result to the Hawthorn game today but I'll take any type of win.

I'm also echoing the hopes of others that we'll see Walter kick his first bag this afternoon!

Let's get it.
As a West Aussie based Suns member, Wins against the eagles are my favourite, so i'm just hoping for any sort of win lol

Like most games if we get on top in the middle we win this one. Without barrass the tall forwards should be able to capitalise but really want to see more movement from them and be less predictable and harder to defend. Waterman the real danger up forward for them at the moment and the key man to shut down. Think they will send yeo to go head to head with Rowell at stoppages and try to get forward and kick a couple goals on him, yeo is in great form but Rowell will be up to it. The one thing I'd like to see other than a big win is our half back/ mid hitting some strong leading forwards and seeing constant movement from our whole front half.
Predicting a 5 goal win but hoping we can really put the foot down and win by more. Walter to kick a bag🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Back