Preview Round 8, 2024 : Bulldogs v Hawks, 4pm 5th May, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bending over family guy GIF

Hawthorn Football club
Brother eeuuuuhhhh

Logical option this weekend is that Scrimma plays forward. He was a forward as a junior and played forward at times last year. He is good on the lead and has a good mark on him.

With the hole down back in defence, Ethan Phillips comes in to take one of JUH or Naughton.
Rather Weddle

I'll be happy if this is less that a 10 goal loss. Liam Jones to take at least 10 intercept marks

All good mate, remember the club told us to be prepared for a slow start to the season.

On a serious note though, at least we may get a glimpse of the future with Deer and Ramsden this week.

Ramsden hasn't shown anything at AFL level, he's nowhere near ready.

I saw Dear against Ladhams on Sunday. Man Vs Boy.

Libba would be licking his lips at running through him after a ball up.

Neither of them are anywhere near ready at this level.

At least Phillips is a grown adult. If back, then Frosty or Sicily can go forward with Weddle or he can go up front himself.

Wingard isn't fit enough yet and Dear and Ramsden aren't at that level yet.

I'd have Weddle on a wing and use his pace as the Dogs aren't overly quick. Could be one advantage we could take in that area.
We already have two wingers.... Weddle looks lost on the wing. Just go to a game and watch him run around, he has no idea where to go on the wing and has little to no impact

Scrimshaw has been our 2nd best defender this year, we aint moving him out

Weddle has the mark and huge leap so may as well try it if we have no big forward available

We going to lose anyway, would rather lose trying something different then Weddle running around the wing/HB lost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get it’s hard for us now we have a pretty young list lots of gaps many injuries etc but Dear is miles off. Ramsden 2 years ahead and not quite AFL ready.
Leave frost and scrimshaw 2 of our very few positives this year. Keep Serong in as 3rd defender.
Ramsden and Gunston and I would move Sicily forward he needs a circuit breaker just tell him to play deep forward and launch at everything.
Likely this gets ugly but we have to cop that as we chose this path to rebuild (correctly). we simply don’t have the talent experience and now player availability to compete with the better sides and dogs at marvel off a loss will touch us up. Inside 8 goals a win.

I get it’s hard for us now we have a pretty young list lots of gaps many injuries etc but Dear is miles off. Ramsden 2 years ahead and not quite AFL ready.
Leave frost and scrimshaw 2 of our very few positives this year. Keep Serong in as 3rd defender.
Ramsden and Gunston and I would move Sicily forward he needs a circuit breaker just tell him to play deep forward and launch at everything.
Likely this gets ugly but we have to cop that as we chose this path to rebuild (correctly). we simply don’t have the talent experience and now player availability to compete with the better sides and dogs at marvel off a loss will touch us up. Inside 8 goals a win.
Ramsden looks quite good at VFL level at times. It certainly hasn't translated to AFL yet. I think a lot of it is to do with confidence.

Ramsden looks quite good at VFL level at times. It certainly hasn't translated to AFL yet. I think a lot of it is to do with confidence.
The management of him has been poor missing multiple games at any level and played as sub when he needs maximum game time to develop. Our coaching looks quite poor at the minute a lot of baffling takes.

Ramsden hasn't shown anything at AFL level, he's nowhere near ready.

I saw Dear against Ladhams on Sunday. Man Vs Boy.

Libba would be licking his lips at running through him after a ball up.

Neither of them are anywhere near ready at this level.

At least Phillips is a grown adult. If back, then Frosty or Sicily can go forward with Weddle or he can go up front himself.

Wingard isn't fit enough yet and Dear and Ramsden aren't at that level yet.

Yeah I agree that Ramsden looks way off it at this stage. I don't rate him as much as others seemingly do.

But still, he may have a long-term future here and watching him and Deer may (hopefully) be a glimpse at our future dominant pairing.

Need the Wiz back. The dogs small defenders aren’t particularly great so wouldn’t mind playing a small forward line and sending chaos balls rather than Worpel and Nash blind kicking high ones directly to the oppos talls
Would be nice to just get some more positivity around the club and the Wiz can provide that. No matter the result if we can see some glimpses of his talent that will be a silver lining to walk away from.

Logical option this weekend is that Scrimma plays forward. He was a forward as a junior and played forward at times last year. He is good on the lead and has a good mark on him.

With the hole down back in defence, Ethan Phillips comes in to take one of JUH or Naughton.

Why pull the flowers to water the weeds?

Scrimma has been playing career best footy down back. I'd leave him there.

I sorta like to float but going to tip my hat in and have a crack at a side this week.

I’m going to assume Mabior is free to play given how soft it was and Hogans reversal recently.

I’m going to also assume Mitch Lewis scans come back clear and he has no need to clean anything up in his knee and just needs the extra week of conditioning it to be confident and build from there.

Breust could be back but I’m inclined to give him a week, groins can be a pain.

Ins: Massimo D’Ambrosio, Calshar Dear (debut), Mitchell Lewis, Ethan Phillips (debut)
Outs:
Harry Morrison, Max Ramsden, Jack Gunston, Jai Serong

BACKLINE
Blake Hardwick - Ethan Phillips - Jack Scrimshaw
Seamus Mitchell - Sam Frost - James Sicily

MIDFIELD
Karl Amon - Will Day - Massimo D’Ambrosio
Lloyd Meek - Jai Newcombe - James Worpel

FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Mitch Lewis - Connor MacDonald
Calshar Dear - Mabior Chol - Jack Ginnivan

INTERCHANGE
Josh Weddle (UTILITY) - Cam Mackenzie (FWD/MID) - Conor Nash (MID) - Finn Maginness (FWD/UTILITY)

SUB
Jarman Impey

Reasoning for selection dissection:
3 pieces of youth in, and some leadership with Lewis.

Morrison out because I rate Massimo higher and that’s the role he’s playing, plus at the game his positioning was poor, and his disposal not much better. Albeit I can see it being someone else out.

Ramsden just isn’t ready yet, Dear deserves his opportunity and will play third tall. Gunston cannot play, need to give Dear opportunities and Gunston can play his time out at Box Hill unless we really cry for leadership, maybe sub?

Serong needs to keep learning his craft and Phillips has earnt a debut. MacDonald only one to be very lucky not to be dropped, has a week.

Impey goes to sub as I believe he’s been poor, it’s a message whilst also keeping some leadership which is still needed, and he has shown ability to play forward and back, has pace.
Changes
Watson, Breust both seem likely to be fit.

Lewis given an extra week which is a good thing, I’m glad nothing serious came about and he just needs to manage the load before reloading and conditioning to 100%.

Watson fit is selected, need his zip and electric nature inside 50. Breust is a chance, I wonder who comes out, I have Maginness but I don’t believe it’ll be him, but Breust plays if fit.

Dear debut for Chol and Ramsden and Gunston stays in, need that structure. Dear plays as the main forward, Ramsden as the ruck forward and Gunston provides leadership to both.

Forwardline still with crumbing and goal prowess with Watson, Moore, Ginnivan, Breust

Ins: Nick Watson, Calshar Dear (debut), Ethan Phillips (debut), Massimo D’Ambrosio, Luke Breust

Outs: Connor MacDonald (omit), Jai Serong (omit), Harry Morrison (omit), Mabior Chol (sus), Finn Maginness (managed)

BACKLINE
Blake Hardwick - Ethan Phillips - Jack Scrimshaw
Seamus Mitchell - Sam Frost - James Sicily

MIDFIELD
Karl Amon - Will Day - Massimo D’Ambrosio
Lloyd Meek - Jai Newcombe - James Worpel

FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Calshar Dear - Jack Ginnivan
Nick Watson - Max Ramsden - Jack Gunston

INTERCHANGE
Luke Breust (FWD) - Conor Nash (MID) - Cam Mackenzie (MID-FWD) - Josh Weddle (UTILITY) - Jarman Impey (DEF/FWD)

One of the interchange becomes sub, I’d do Impey albeit I doubt they would. Seamus a chance but we need run and carry and would be too tall without him.

we would've lost the challenge if we took it to the tribunal bc you can't just argue "well that vision looks like it deserves a fine not a week" – they have specific gradings and criteria you have to downgrade, and there was basically no way out of the Chol suspension unless we somehow convinced the MRO it was a push and not a strike (which according to Ralph's tweet is basically impossible bc it was forceful and outside the play).

these kinds of things are almost always occam's razor. the obvious reason why we aren't challenging isn't cos we're tanking or making deliberately bad choices or some grand conspiracy to hide Chol from criticism (legit facebook comments lmao) or injury... it's because we strongly believe we will not win at the tribunal and it is therefore a waste of time and resources. otherwise we would obviously challenge.

it's fair to disagree and think we should give the 1% a shot anyway but pretending not to understand the rationale is disingenuous imo.

I can't believe we aren't contesting that.

Who gave someone a gut punch behind play on the weekend? Did that player cop a suspension?

Grundy gut punched Meek right in front of the umpire like a fool and didn't even get cited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back