Preview Round 8: Essendon vs West Coast, Data Breach Stadium, Saturday 4th May, 8:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful. We still have the Essington virus in our system . Takes a while for the medication to clear it out of the system.

Next month is vital. 3 games we should win (WC, North and Richmond) and home vs the Giants, where we'll be underdogs but a chance. If we're 7-3-1 we will need 6 more wins to make the 8 with games against GC x2, Carlton, WC (H), Adelaide (H), Collingwood, St Kilda, Freo (H) to come as winnable games and maybe an upset or two along the way
Instead of thinking in this sort of way, it seems to me that what counts is the ongoing development of the team mix and the successful application of the game plan. For the first time in forever both those elements are actually happening so far. All teams have their essington moments, the difference is we would lose all self belief for weeks afterwards. But if you've got the right team balance and a proven game plan then you bounce straight back. Then you don't have to count all the lower end team match ups to work out finals hopes because you have the basic system to take out the good teams. Unfamiliar territory for us fans i know.

I liked what i saw early last year and still believed in that beginning even after it fell apart. I think my faith has been repaid this year with what appears to be a more sustainable 2.0 version. I'm happy to call it and say that this is now a side that can win a final depending on fitness and injuries. So no doubt we're ****ed

Instead of thinking in this sort of way, it seems to me that what counts is the ongoing development of the team mix and the successful application of the game plan. For the first time in forever both those elements are actually happening so far. All teams have their essington moments, the difference is we would lose all self belief for weeks afterwards. But if you've got the right team balance and a proven game plan then you bounce straight back. Then you don't have to count all the lower end team match ups to work out finals hopes because you have the basic system to take out the good teams. Unfamiliar territory for us fans i know.

I liked what i saw early last year and still believed in that beginning even after it fell apart. I think my faith has been repaid this year with what appears to be a more sustainable 2.0 version. I'm happy to call it and say that this is now a side that can win a final depending on fitness and injuries. So no doubt we're ****ed
Wasn’t sure whether to like or laugh at the end.

I went with like.

Hard to trust Ess I know. I have faith that the team will be competitive going forward. Might get a win or not depending on the opponent but the desire to win is there now and building. Both Zach and Dyson have mentioned the process and all that it entails is helping to bring the elements of a good and very capable team together.
It took a loss to ess for Carlton to flip the script last year.
The ess script will not have all the same characters or the same ending for much longer either. The winning Ess will look much different. This is the beginning of something new.

Last edited:
Even when west coast were at their worst we still lost to them at Optus, I was unfortunately there to see them get one of their only wins of the season. Their core midfield is a lot better then people give credit for, if you watch them in full flight Yeo, Ginby, Reid and Kelly works, think it is a bit of a danger game for the bombers. Across the field we should easily outclass them and am hoping that will be the case but its no easy beat.

This is a game where Goldy & Draper need to dominate. WCE have the worst #1 ruck in the comp at the moment. Other teams are averaging +12 HTA against them.

Put Durham on Yeo is a no brainer. Yeo doesn't have the fitness to go with him yet so Durham can hurt him both ways.

I'm confident with the right coaching we win this one comfortably. West Coasts main strength (midfield) is our main strength, but we're way better at it.

Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey is a decent midfield, wouldn't want to sleep on Yeo and Kelly Essington style
Obviously I don’t wish injury on any player. S Mitchell back in the day maybe… but no one else. So this comes from statistics not desire:
  • Yeo has successfully completed 6 games on top of a cracking pre season
  • Based upon reviewing his last 5 years injury history, my calculation is
  • 90% likely to rip his hamstring off the bone on Saturday

I semi want us to take the "essendon edge" concept to next level with the whole mid group targetting Reid from first bounce, I dont think thats a Scott move though (even though he enjoyed doing that as a player)
Yeah there’s no need to be part of Harley’s never ending welcome parade

Let’s see how he goes under duress

Yeah there’s no need to be part of Harley’s never ending welcome parade

Let’s see how he goes under duress
I still remember when Melbourne unleashed Watts against the Pies. They smashed him every time he went near the ball. Was never the same.

Not saying Watts was ever close to Reid but teams will pressure him much more now. His honeymoon is over. Teams will plan against him now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember when Melbourne unleashed Watts against the Pies. They smashed him every time he went near the ball. Was never the same.

Not saying Watts was ever close to Reid but teams will pressure him much more now. His honeymoon is over. Teams will plan against him now.
I know what you’re saying but it’s also difficult to describe with words just how different Reid is from Watts :)

He reminds me of Buddy - my sense is that his self-confidence is total, there are no gaps to probe. Self esteem is off the charts. They can go at him, pressure him, plan for him - I dont think it’ll phase him at all tbh.

Out: Laverde, Cox, Davey, Hobbs
In: Hayes, Tstas, Guelfi, Perkins/Shiel

Cox and Hobbs need a rest to work on not turning the ball over. Laverde looks cooked. If Hind is to be sub again he should be out, I'd rather play Guelfi or Heppell as the sub. Heppell can come on and play in any third of the ground, and so can Guelfi.

However, I would prefer Heppell play as sub following the long break as part of being managed, with the plan being that Goldy is subbed as part of his management, and to see if Draper can run out a game.

Guelfi can bring the pressure up forward that Davey does, with 1000% more impact. I want Hind running out of the backline, with McGrath, Heppell and Redman distributing it out of there. Hayes to be given a role that is more about following a player than intercepting, so an AFL player can teach him about where to run. I'd prefer it be a high-volume running like Darling.

Martin to play as half-forward midfielder in combination with Stringer. Stringer to take centre-bounce and drift forward, while Martin starts inside F50, but then follows the ball as the midfielder. Tsatsas to play full game as midfielder

I know what you’re saying but it’s also difficult to describe with words just how different Reid is from Watts :)

He reminds me of Buddy - my sense is that his self-confidence is total, there are no gaps to probe. Self esteem is off the charts. They can go at him, pressure him, plan for him - I dont think it’ll phase him at all tbh.
Absolutely. He is a special talent.

One of those players that never plays vfl from the start.

Out: Laverde, Cox, Davey, Hobbs
In: Hayes, Tstas, Guelfi, Perkins/Shiel

Cox and Hobbs need a rest to work on not turning the ball over. Laverde looks cooked. If Hind is to be sub again he should be out, I'd rather play Guelfi or Heppell as the sub. Heppell can come on and play in any third of the ground, and so can Guelfi.

However, I would prefer Heppell play as sub following the long break as part of being managed, with the plan being that Goldy is subbed as part of his management, and to see if Draper can run out a game.

Guelfi can bring the pressure up forward that Davey does, with 1000% more impact. I want Hind running out of the backline, with McGrath, Heppell and Redman distributing it out of there. Hayes to be given a role that is more about following a player than intercepting, so an AFL player can teach him about where to run. I'd prefer it be a high-volume running like Darling.

Martin to play as half-forward midfielder in combination with Stringer. Stringer to take centre-bounce and drift forward, while Martin starts inside F50, but then follows the ball as the midfielder. Tsatsas to play full game as midfielder
I agree with re: Hobbs, he is way too reliant on the turnaround snap kick and he doesn't have a spot he can rest/rotate through at the moment where he is effective. Cox on the other hand it looked like nerves got the better of him, 90k crowd with plenty of feral pie supporters might have got in his head a bit. I think he deserves to stay on and he is versatile enough to cover a few roles across the field.

Cox on the other hand it looked like nerves got the better of him, 90k crowd with plenty of feral pie supporters might have got in his head a bit. I think he deserves to stay on and he is versatile enough to cover a few roles across the field.
I'm sure a stadium full of completely unbiased and all round genteel West Coast supporters will go easy on him if he's looking a bit flustered.

I assume that after 2 wins and a competitive loss their band wagon is starting to groan under the weight already.

whilst this is a good one to be a travelling away game, now that it's coming and WC are showing form it's actually a tad scary it's over there. Absolutely MUST start well and take the crowd (and, critically, the noise of affirmation...) out of it as much as possible...
No doubt our hot start and then relinquishment of that has been thoroughly unpacked. We'll be champing at the bit to do that again but hold firmer when challenged. That's what I want to see.

I'm sure a stadium full of completely unbiased and all round genteel West Coast supporters will go easy on him if he's looking a bit flustered.

I assume that after 2 wins and a competitive loss their band wagon is starting to groan under the weight already.
Perth crowd is surprisingly tame in comparison if you get ahead it can get pretty quiet. In saying that he would definitely learn from the anzac game and you would hope it would help build his composure for future games like that. If it doesn't get better then thats a problem.

Judging by Scotts presser I have a feeling Goldy will be rested.
He mentioned "horses for courses" re going tall last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back