Review Round 8 (Q-Clash XXVI) Brisbane @ The GABBA - 5th May 2024 - 7:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Read is back in for Day. Long in for the bear. Don’t mind these changes. Long has been in excellent form in the ressies and he can be put on Charlie Cameron if needed.

Read is back in for Day. Long in for the bear. Don’t mind these changes. Long has been in excellent form in the ressies and he can be put on Charlie Cameron if needed.

I reckon Long will try lock down Cameron.

Atkins sub

Team sheet has Swallow on field in Humphrey’s position, which is probably as like for like as we have.

Long may play defence? Could go either way though,

You’d think Read, Holman, Long and Ainsworth are the bench. Atkins sub.

Unless we are getting a curveball of Holman or Ainsworth as sub instead…

Changes from last years 41 point win;

2023;

Backline;
Andrew, Atkins, Ballard, Collins, Lemmens, Powell, Swallow

Midfield;
Ainsworth, Anderson, Ellis, Flanders, Hollands, Miller, Rowell, Witts

Forwards;
Casboult, Farrar (sub), King, Holman, Humphrey, Lukosius, Macpherson, Rosas

2024;
Andrew, Atkins (sub*), Ballard, Collins, Flanders, Long, Lukosius, Powell

Midfield;
Anderson, Clohesy, Fiorini, Graham, Miller, Rowell, Witts

Forwards;
Ainsworth, Berry, Holman, King, Read, Rogers, Swallow, Walter

IN: Berry, Clohesy, Fiorini, Graham, Long, Read, Rogers, Walter (avg age 21.25)
OUT: Casboult, Ellis, Farrar, Hollands, Humphrey, Lemmens, Macpherson, Rosas (avg age 26.12)

Would be a massive win if we can win with the youth

Changes from last years 41 point win;

2023;

Backline;
Andrew, Atkins, Ballard, Collins, Lemmens, Powell, Swallow

Midfield;
Ainsworth, Anderson, Ellis, Flanders, Hollands, Miller, Rowell, Witts

Forwards;
Casboult, Farrar (sub), King, Holman, Humphrey, Lukosius, Macpherson, Rosas

2024;
Andrew, Atkins (sub*), Ballard, Collins, Flanders, Long, Lukosius, Powell

Midfield;
Anderson, Clohesy, Fiorini, Graham, Miller, Rowell, Witts

Forwards;
Ainsworth, Berry, Holman, King, Read, Rogers, Swallow, Walter

IN: Berry, Clohesy, Fiorini, Graham, Long, Read, Rogers, Walter (avg age 21.25)
OUT: Casboult, Ellis, Farrar, Hollands, Humphrey, Lemmens, Macpherson, Rosas (avg age 26.12)

Would be a massive win if we can win with the youth
The 2024 version is way more exciting. Getting rid of Macpherson, Casboult and Ellis is a massive upgrade.

Seems like my theory about Day being a placeholder for Read last week was correct. Bit harsh on Day as he seemed serviceable but I completely understand why Dimma wants to keep pumping games into our academy guns.

At least we now know Day can come in and be serviceable for a game if one of our tall forwards/rucks gets hurt. Lesson for some on our board to not judge a player on previous form and to actually give a bloke a chance before you completely write him off.

I tend to agree with others that Long is probably going to be given the task playing on Charlie Cameron and Swallow will likely start in our forward line as a result. Don't mind that tbh because I've seen some good stuff from Swallow in recent weeks as the sub. Challenge for Dave is to keep it up for the entire four quarters.

I tend to agree with others that Long is probably going to be given the task playing on Charlie Cameron and Swallow will likely start in our forward line as a result. Don't mind that tbh because I've seen some good stuff from Swallow in recent weeks as the sub. Challenge for Dave is to keep it up for the entire four quarters.

If Long does play back which seems weird given he has been having shots for fun in the VFL then who is moved out of Defence?
Collins, Ballard, Luko, Powell, Flanders, Andrews and Atkins all defenders so adding Long is 1 too many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long will play forward. He is being rewarded for form. His form is as a forward and humper is out. Reckon swallow stay sub, but we should consider brining him on sooner than previous weeks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit harsh to name a bloke on field and then start him sub.

Long will play forward. He is being rewarded for form. His form is as a forward and humper is out. Reckon swallow stay sub, but we should consider brining him on sooner than previous weeks

My guess, Swallow starts, Long sub.

Andrews is slow as. Unlikely he will be able to keep up with both King and Walter if any constantly move around

Based on season so far, I am not overly optimistic. Except GWS game we were ordinary on the road. Also, except GWS game, we really did not play top teams so far. Way too many unforced errors, turnovers, goals so far.

But as Dimma says it should start clicking eventually. It's game number 8 under new system. We should be close, haha.

Some interesting points for me.

Can we start well? This is do or die game for Lions. They should bring desperation, pressure, contest. So far, in every road game and even in some home games we gave a head start to opposition. We can't do that to have a chance.

Will Dimma implement similar tactic to last QClash? I doubt it as Dimma prefers system over tagging. King playing on Andrews worked a treat. Miller destroyed Neale.

Can we convert opportunities? We can't afford to miss easy set shots when we get momentum.

Can defence limit s**t goals? We can't give opposition easy 5-6 goals. Surely, Powell and others can clean up their acts.

Witts against BigO (coming from concussion) should have a big impact on the outcome.

It should be exciting battle in the middle. Can we win it there or at east split it? If so, we get a shot.

Can our forward pressure cause trouble to Lions defence?

Can this year debutants continue good performances (Graham, Walter, Clohesy, Rogers)? I do think Read will be competitive. Eventually, they will hit the wall and will need a break. Again, we play vastly younger and inexperienced line-up.

How do we deal with Cameron? As Dimma said, the key is to limit deliveries into our defence. I actually like how e.g., Luko defended recently.

Let's hope this is our breakout game. To burry Lions season on their home turf would be sweet. Zorko whinging again would be a cherry on top.

Lions expect 30K crowd.

Last edited:
Hopefully we play Walter deep forward again like last week and have King up the ground where his opponent will be Harris Andrews.

Did anyone watch Brisbane Geelong thunderstorm game?

Think the blueprint to winning is in that game

Just popping in to say that Sam Day was greatduring the West Coast game. Performed up forward well when needed to, and actually won the majority of the hitouts when he was chopping out. Credit for those hitouts would partially have to go to Witts for tiring out Bailey Williams, but it was still great to see from Day. I haven't seen the teams yet, but I hope he gets another week.

Just popping in to say that Sam Day was greatduring the West Coast game. Performed up forward well when needed to, and actually won the majority of the hitouts when he was chopping out. Credit for those hitouts would partially have to go to Witts for tiring out Bailey Williams, but it was still great to see from Day. I haven't seen the teams yet, but I hope he gets another week.

He’s been dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back